14 people are viewing this hotel
Snaptravel
Hotels.com
travelup.com
1,170 results
All reviews hartford wing dune restaurant champagne and strawberries butler service family pool versailles gardens infinity pool casino royale ocean front beach staff oceanfront room tennis courts the general manager each evening grouper beautiful property fitness center
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 February 2020

I feel like a valued repeat guest of this property. The hotel gave us complimentary airport transfers and a beautiful platter on arrival. Had the hotel not been full, it would have upgraded us although I must say that we actually found out that we preferred the garden rooms in Hartford wing to the ocean rooms because they are more private and we didn't have to feel that people were constantly passing by and looking in on us.

I had written in November 2018 that Four Seasons had not made noticeable changes to the property. I have to go back on that. I heard a decent number of repeat guests murmuring about changes that had been made to the property. They all thought of things that changed that they did not like; i didn't hear anybody say anything about changes they did like. Little things like not putting beach bags in the rooms (which are useful) and no more chocolate covered strawberries in the rooms at night; bigger things like no longer having the shuttle service on demand that takes you where you want to go in the surrounding area. It took us 45 minutes to get back from Atlantis because the shuttle did not come every 20 minutes as they said it would and the person at the transportation desk in the driveway at Atlantis' Royal Towers did not have access to a phone to call them and ask where the shuttle was. Now, you must go with a photo ID to Atlantis and nobody told us that and one guest was really upset that she was about to waste a ton of time going there and not getting in. I really don't want to have to take my photo ID to Atlantis where it can be easily lost or taken so this is a real bother. Atlantis has all these cruise ship people visiting with no priority to in-house guests so it is a zoo there and if Bahamar does better with its water park set to open within the next year, there will be no reason to go to Atlantis and a more compelling reason to stay at the Rosewood which wll be within walking distance of all this and much closer to the airport, which is always a nail biter for us because of the traffic in Nassau getting there during the day. The hotel shuttle matters because if you are going to eat at the various restaurants in the area at night you don't want it to be a federal project to get there and back. I would say that except for that one really bad experience, most of our shuttle connections were fine. We don't know if that's because we were lucky or because it was good. Other people were really upset about this change in particular so I feel compelled to mention it.

Another important point about this resort: They got rid of the second dinner outlet so there is only Dune now. If you go there after 7 for dinner, you might not get out till 9:30 and they just don't seem to have the facilities to feed a full house. If you have kids, eat earlier but people were complaining that even then it took too long to get out of there. After the first night, my kid was so upset that he ordered room service the second night. At least the restaurant ought to have figured out by now to bump up orders for families with kids so they can get out quicker. Also, if you are going to expect people to eat there multiple nights then why serve the same focaccia for lunch and dinner every day which is their daily bread they serve? How about mixing up some of the bread service? The dessert menu is really plain vanilla and it is the same for lunch and dinner; they could use a daily special dessert for instance to liven it up. Breakfast is very good although pricey; I noticed that they put a chia seed pudding and an avocado toast on the menu so healthy eaters can now manage to eat breakfast without running up a ridiculous bill, which is what happened to me last visit. So that's an improvement!
There is a lunch outlet called Ocean with some beautiful desserts on the menu but most of the days we were there they didn't actually have them available. Whoever is in charge of that outlet needs to take notice.
I had a new problem this stay that I never had before. Someone was smoking in their room and the second-hand smoke was coming in through the air vents. That was a real bummer because I can't sleep with that kind of taste in my throat.
Here is something we liked: someone runs painting classes on the back porch a few days a week. My daughter enjoyed that and brought home a nice souvenir.
The hotel is still quite good but it used to be a place that was faultless. Four Seasons raised the prices but did not do things that make guests feel that they are getting any benefit out of it. Instead, they feel service cuts and a less seamless experience.It would be a good idea for management to do some things to make guests feel that Four Seasons is a good thing for guests of the Ocean Club.
I asked my kids if they preferred the Ocean Club or the Bahamar where we spent New Years. For them it was a really close call and they really compared in minute detail one property against the other. I think the properties are totally different but each has its advantages. You can swim in the ocean more often at the Bahamar for instance as it is calmer and there are more things to do at their beach, and there are more food choices available within easy reach. Their gym is amazing although the Ocean Club's gym is perfectly fine. It's a 10 minute straight shoot to the airport. On the other hand, at the Ocean Club nobody will make you pay to use the steam room and you can walk around and hardly see another person around you and Larry at the gym will remember you from your previous visit. My advice is to go to both. If you book ahead at the Ocean Club, you can get rooms at a relatively decent price, albeit on a non-refundable non-changeable basis, to somewhat even the score.

9  Thank 649ic
Mr-John-Conway, General Manager at The Ocean Club, A Four Seasons Resort, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2020

Dear 649ic,

On behalf of the Resort team, we want to thank you for writing such a detailed and helpful review of your stay. We appreciate your feedback, and the advice you have left us.

It means a great deal that your family looks forward to staying with us, and we appreciate there are other choices on the island. We are fortunate to occupy 35 acres, and a full mile of private beach. This is how guests are able to walk through the resort and enjoy the privacy of which you speak.

Thank you for again staying with us. We hope to see you and your family again. We are sure that Larry will be waiting.

Sincerley,

Reviewed 22 February 2020

I don’t typically write reviews but am an avid reader so I figured might as well help someone else this time.

I guess like every other reviewer I need to get some “cred” by stating we, too, have stayed at other FS properties as well as comparable brands. Anyways ..

Is this the worlds nicest four seasons - no. Would I return? Absolutely.

The good ...

The staff honestly is doing a great job. They were so friendly and really did try hard. We were greeted by name when we arrived and offered drinks and checked in on quite a bit. I only encountered one person who wasn’t nice and genuinely wanted to make sure we had a good time and she happened to be a manager.

I saw many reviews re housekeeping and our room was always promptly cleaned and had no issues there.

Dune was excellent - food and service wise. The other bar was small but nice.

The property is very pretty, but yes, could prob use a bit of an update.

Beach was amazing. No issues getting chairs at all. Service was great too. If you ever complain about the beach just look to your left and notice the difference.

Adult pool is tranquil. Our massage was great.

The whole paradise island is very pretty and having the bikes and biking to the golf course was fun!

The GM happened to be there a couple of days. He was so nice and my husband said he really did want people to be happy here and was a pleasure to speak to.

Also it’s nice you can use all of Atlantis and they offer shuttles and super fast dinner reservations.

The areas that could use improvement...

Our spa service was great but there really isn’t a spa. It’s a general sitting area which people use as a cut through the whole time. I’d love to see a “proper” spa!

The adult pool was closed one day and the communication to the patrons was less than desirable. Regarding pools, there are three. One is the infinity pool which is overrun by families who get there at 6a and grab seats so there is not one place to sit. Overall though, I get it. I have kids (I didn’t bring) and understand the need to do it BUT there would be no one at seats for hours and leaving them unused. Had the adult pool be open then whatever but it wasn’t. A solution I was told when we couldn’t use any of the pools was to head to the small child’s pool and use that. No, thanks.

Another issue was we wanted to use bikes one day but they sent them all out for service. Now, why would you do that? This isn’t a real big issue just wasn’t thought out.

Final issue, was we were supposed to have an upgrade and I get it — book the room you want and don’t play the odds. However, we generally just upgrade when we get there if the room isn’t what we want. We are willing to pay for it. We never got the oceanfront room and we had some loud kids who liked to run at 6a in the “garden area.” This is where I had one of the run ins with the female manager. She was talking to me about something else and told me we have many ppl checking out today and we will be less busy so blah blah .. So I said great can we please change our room ... she then looked at me and said “oh we are 100% capacity.” Anyways... then we discussed the adult pool being closed and she assured me it would be open at 1. You can guess what happened ... it didn’t open. I get you can’t control everything and things change but don’t be rude and don’t lie. In defense of the resort, one of the front desk people tracked me down after I walked away insulted and was super nice and tried to bend over backwards to make up for her.

Long story short, if you’ve booked already stop reading reviews - it’s a great property and we will be back :)

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank 655stephaniem

Dear 655stephaniem,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your detailed and very helpful review. We are always appreciative of honest feedback, and we do see clear areas of improvement.

We're delighted you enjoyed the genuine service from our dedicated team. From housekeeping to DUNE restaurant, we've passed along your well wishes.

We've taken note of your critique, which all seem appropriate and possible. We did just work on our spa greeting area, making it a more communal reception, as you are then escorted to one of the private spa villas. We understand you're looking for more relaxation areas and we appreciate your advice.

Apologies on the soft communication regarding maintenance of Versailles Pool. This could have easily been remedied, and we'll ensure to do better next time.

We sincerely appreciate your stay with us, and we hope to welcome you again.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed 21 February 2020

I will preface by saying this was my first time traveling with my 3 month old infant. I was very picky on my choice of destination and hotel and ultimately the Ocean Club was the winner. We were happy we chose to stay here.

Being a close flight from Toronto, we had a 5 night getaway as our first trip with the baby. We are so glad we chose the Four Seasons for our accommodations because as always, their service level is always above & beyond our expectations.

The property is fairly large with a quaint plantation-style feel. They have 3 large pools and the most pristine beach with white sand and turquoise waters. The food is excellent, especially the seafood options at Dune. And I found the atmosphere to be quite lively for a Four Seasons.

The rooms are really large but some need a bit of an update. That being said, we still had a very comfortable stay and of course, the most restful sleeps in their amazing bed.

Having traveled with my infant, I felt welcomed everywhere and my needs were always accommodated to. I appreciated that this resort was family friendly but not too crazy with kids everywhere.

Overall we had a lovely time and hope to return one day when our daughter is older.

Date of stay: October 2019
73  Thank LuxeTourista
OceanClubFourSeasons, General Manager at The Ocean Club, A Four Seasons Resort, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2020

Good Day LuxeTourista,

We are so happy to hear that you had a wonderful time with us in paradise. Even more elated that you chose The Ocean Club, A Four Seasons Resort to be the very first trip for your precious little angel!

Thank you for such a sincere and positive review. We are truly looking forward to you and your lovely family’s next visit.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 19 February 2020

First, I should begin by saying that the staff is trying hard. It seems they've been undertrained and put in an unfair situation. Secondly, I should say that everything below should be taken in the context of this resort's incredible price tag. Were it a $6 or -$700 a night hotel, some of this wouldn't apply. But at nearly $3K per night it's a very different story.

While planning our trip we read the other recent reviews and concluded there was no way the situation could really be that bad. Readers, I'm sorry to say: IT IS. Service is undertrained (random housekeeping visits, flaky attendants), the facilities are crowded (pools, beach, the lone open-nightly restaurant Dune), and there's nothing exceptional about the resort itself given the price point. We've been fortunate to travel quite a bit and have stayed at the below places for less:

- FS Bora Bora (overwater bungalow, private plunge pool, on-site snorkeling lagoon)
- FS Maui (incredible amenities throughout)
- Ritz Reserve Dorado Beach (amazing outdoor shower, private pool steps from the back door)
- FS Maldives (overwater room, plunge pool)

The Ocean Club offers none of these amenities at a higher cost. I simply don't understand it. Ultimately, the cost here promises a level of luxury the facilities, service, and amenities simply cannot match. Listen, I know it's a privilege to stay ANYWHERE that costs this much, but those who can afford it would be wise to spend their money--and considerably less of it--elsewhere.

5  Thank tomll182
OceanClubFourSeasons, General Manager at The Ocean Club, A Four Seasons Resort, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2020

Good Day Mr. tomll182

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive and negative feedback on your experience with us at The Ocean Club, A Four Seasons Resort.

I want to extend my sincerest apologies and thank you for bringing your issues to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and ensure every guest has wonderful and memorable experiences.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 19 February 2020 via mobile

We have stayed at many Four Seasons and this is the only time we have been utterly disappointed in our stay at a Four Seasons property. The hotel was full due to a celebrity wedding (JJ Watt and Kealia Oahi), but I believe our experience would have been just as bad if the hotel was not full.

We stayed in a renovated room in the Hartford Wing that was beautiful with stunning ocean views and just a few steps to the pool and beach. The Four Seasons has complimentary day passes and a shuttle for Atlantis water park which was a blast for our boys. It was all downhill from there.

Housekeeping would either not show up at all or randomly knock on your door and act annoyed if you asked them to come back in 30 minutes. The first night we sat awkwardly in our room while someone spent 20 minutes making a bed for our boys while we waited in our pajamas (we had to call and ask for sheets and towels since there were none). This is unacceptable when you are paying $2,000/night for a room.

The food was outrageously expensive which is expected on an island, but it was terrible. $67 for one lobster tail served 45 minutes after ordered and lukewarm with 4 Brussels sprouts. Never water or silverware or placemats—every meal we had to ask for these things. We never once got the correct food and drinks. At dinner, the only restaurant open is Dune so the entire hotel (families and couples) arrive at the same time and the restaurant staff is overwhelmed and again makes you feel like you are burdening them as a guest. I have never experienced anything like this at a Four Seasons. No children’s menus? Forced to eat off the same menu every night at Dune since it is the only restaurant open. It does not appear that there is any management anywhere to train the staff or make things run smoothly. At other Four Seasons we love getting to know the employees who often remember us, but here the employees did not seem confident or trained to take pride in their roles with guests on the property.

The pools are beautiful, but again, disappointing as there are not enough seats. Guests were grabbing seats at 6:00 am like they were on a sinking Titanic, glaring at you if you tried to find a spot by the pool. Again, this has never happened at a Four Seasons. You cannot charge $2,000/night and tell guests there is no room at any of the pools! The pool attendants were untrained and would bring a drink 30 minutes after ordered if they brought it at all. No smile, no greeting, no welcome where are you visiting from, nothing. At other Four Seasons, the pool attendants are amazing, remembering orders and making you feel pampered and relaxed (and receive generous tips for doing so).

In sum, we will never return. There are far better Four Seasons properties with lower nightly rates and better service. We understand that Four Seasons is expensive, but every other property we have stayed at, we felt it was worth the cost because the service and experience were personalized with the Four Seasons magic that makes you feel like a special guest who can’t wait to return. I understand this property was not originally a Four Seasons, but we were disappointed as loyal Four Seasons guests to pay Four Seasons rates and not have a Four Seasons level experience. You should not put your brand name on a property that is not up to your usual high standards.

Trip type: Travelled with family
6  Thank jessicadH8257IL
OceanClubFourSeasons, General Manager at The Ocean Club, A Four Seasons Resort, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2020

Good Day jessicadH8257IL,

Your experience, from the interactions with our Housekeeping team, to the experiences at the pool was less than favorable Four Seasons service. We apologize for the lack of pool chairs and slow service. With three pools and our beachfront available, there should be plenty of space. We will look into why this is not the case. I am happy that you were able to discuss these matters with the department head during your however, I am disappointed that we did not make your visit positive for you and your family.
I hope that this does not negatively impact your perception of future stays with Four Seasons. We are a brand that takes your feedback to heart and will ensure that we enact change.

Should you wish do discuss further, please do not hesitate to contact me.