“Even if you think "it's just for 1nt" think again”
Review of Sun Fun Resort

Sun Fun Resort
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Orlando, Florida
“Even if you think "it's just for 1nt" think again”
Reviewed 21 September 2011

On 2 seperate occasions my husband & I found ourselves in need of a cheap hotel for 1nt due to connecting flight problems. Unfortunately for us I wasn't too devistated by our first stay at Sun Fun (Resort does not apply here!) and thought we'd be able to tolerate staying once again.

It's obvious that this hotel has no desire to improve as both our stays occurred between 2006 and 2009 and from the looks of their reviews nothing has changed. When checking in on our first stay we were charged a non-refundable room key fee which we were too tired to argue about. Upon walking to our room we passed 2 maintenance/construction workers, in uniform, cooling themselves off in the hotel pool. As for the cleanliness of the room it pretty much ranks up there w/ all the other reviews for this place.

Our 2nd stay only got worse. Scr*w me once shame on you, scr*w me twice shame on me. The room which looked as if it was previously the main buildings attic was 3 flights up some narrow/steep stairs. After dragging 2 heavy duffle bags and a cooler up those stairs my husband decided to take a bath while I lounged on the bed. Not 30 minutes after checking in I hear someone trying to get in our room which they were successful at doing being the front desk just checked another couple into our room and they had a key! Having worked in the hotel industry for over 20 years in Orlando I was pretty aware that this was something Sun Fun could not just sweep under the carpet, regardless of how filthy they were, especially since I had next to nothing on when they walked in. I got dressed, went to the front desk and informed them of what just took place and told them the least they could do is comp our stay. The clerk actually had an attitude and said he couldn't comp the room but maybe give us a discount. I refused. I know hotels try hard not to comp rooms or even discount them if they don't have to because they don't want their "average daily rate" to go down so we finally agreed on a free meal from the restaurant. A little scary when you consider the cleanliness of the place but we looked over a menu and found something we liked. After a surprisingly good meal of cracked conch, beans & rice and even cocktails we figured that if we had to pay for the meal it pretty much would have been around the same price as the room.

We are once again in need in finding an overnight hotel and you can bet that it's not going to be here!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank B B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
charleston sc
Reviewed 12 December 2010

Nasty room - apparently from previous reviews - looks like airport personnel being paid off to send travelers there that missed their flights!! Was mugged, beaten, lost over $1,000 right outside hotel....oh and the rooms are worse than the reviews have said!! BEWARE!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
6 Thank lisamhe

Travellers are raving about these Nassau hotels

Freeport
Reviewed 28 October 2010

I can honestly say that calling this place a dump is an understatement! When I arrived the housekeeper appeared to be cleaning out the room so my boyfriend and I decided to walk down the road to hit up the beach. When I came back the room literally smelled like feces! We dried off with the towels and asked to be relocated. Once relocated to a "better" room it was equally horrid! The bathrooms were extremely nasty and the furniture and building itself seem to be a hundred years old and recycled.

When I asked for a refund the clerk wouldn't give me a full refund and kept $20 and their claim was because we used the towels. I would never recommend this place to anyone! It has to be the worst hotel ever in Nassau and I know because i'm a Bahamian!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank abbyolurin1
Tarpon Springs, FL
Reviewed 30 August 2010

My husband & I were placed in this dump by Cat Island Air when they made us late for our connecting flight. We were promised the Sheraton, but ended up here. It was filthy. There appeared to be blood splatters on the furniture. There was a fingernail in the bedside table drawer. There were no sheets on the bed & no towels in the bathroom and none were provided even though we asked nicely. Finally at 5:30am my husband woke the sleeping night clerk and went back behind the pool, over a garbage can, and got towels out of the dryer himself so we could wash & get out of this place ASAP! Cat Island Air picked up our tab. We would never have chosen this place on our own. We felt unsafe and uneasy. Needless to say...we want to warn others. DON'T STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DCTwave
Tortola, BVI
Reviewed 11 January 2010

Having asked at the airport for a recommended budget hotel/guesthouse during an unexpected stop in Nassau, I was directed to the Sun Fun Resort. The fact that it was January and there was no sun (unbelievably cold) was not their fault, but let me assure the reader that it was no fun and that undoubdtedly was their responsibility. Only use this place if, like me, it is your last resort!!!

The first room I had was filthy, the sheets did not appear to have been changed since the last resident, the WC had been used and stained and not flushed, there was no hot water, the unadvertised room-mates, mosquitos and cockroaches were aggressive, the carpet was warn and damp owing to the leaking roof, there were no windows and zero furniture apart from the bed. Security was also an issue as the door did not lock.

Having complained at the check-in desk the young lady politely apologised (it was her first day in the job) and promised to have my belongings moved to a 'better' room whilst I went to get a meal. Upon my return the check-in clerk had changed but my room had not, so I asked to be moved. This guy was extremely aggressive and took my request as a personal affront! Eventually, and with great reluctance I was shown another room, which was marginally cleaner than the first owing to the fact that they had dispensed with the carpet! The sheets still looked as though I was the second or perhaps even the third user of them, I did not sleep well!

All in all an experience not to be repeated.

If the hotel management monitor these reviews I would be delighted to discuss the matter with them and to help them understand what today's traveller expects for their money.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo