3,835 results
All reviews private beach the executive lounge paradise island day pass watch the cruise ships business hotel straw market hotel beach dunkin donuts cruise port senor frogs fish fry aqua restaurant bay street nice beach senior frogs hotel guests
Reviewed 29 November 2015 via mobile

This hotel has a nice grand reception and the rooms were nice.
We were upgraded to a suite and were pleased until we got to the room. The lounge area was extremely small and the room looked out onto the road (no sea view) so we actually changed and were happy with our standard room overlooking the sea.

It was fun to watch the cruise ships sailing in and out of port right next to the hotel. I thought this would be an annoyance and not the 'true Bahamas' feel but it actually was really interesting. Especially at night all lit up.

The pool area is nice, large enough and the food at the pool side bar was tasty - I recommend the Chicken Wrap - this cost $17 (not too cheap). Drinks were in the region of $10.
The small private Hilton beach was lovely. Clear water, nice to swim in and both the pool and beach had comfy beds - spotted Lion Fish from the small pier.

One thing I didn't expect was that when the cruise ships aren't docked, the area around the hotel (downtown Nassau) is pretty much closed. The restaurants close early (8pm) or are closed altogether. We tried to find a meal on a Sunday night and even Senor Frogs next to the hotel wasn't serving food (it was 8pm).
On Monday night Senor Frogs was closed completely. Seemed a bit odd.
We didn't want to eat at the hotel restaurant - Aqua as the food was expensive. The menu started at $30 and the buffet was $50 each.
So luckily the Mac Donald's across the street was open (not the nicest evening treat for a holiday). So travellers beware - Sunday and Monday nights are not great for evening meals outside of the hotel.

Another thing to note - my husband got offered drugs on three separate occasions in the evenings around the area near Sharkees and Senor Frogs. It didn't make me feel the safest to go wondering around when there weren't many people.
I asked the receptionist if it was a safe area and she said - yes certainly.

Another separate note - the second night of our stay I was woken up numerous times in the night by the phone ringing. 1:30am / 3am / 4:30am etc..... If was extremely frustrating. I went down to reception the next morning to ask it to be looked at. They advised someone would be up to look at it. I don't believe anyone came.... I asked three times that day and each time they didn't know if it had been looked at. Anyway - it didn't happen again so it must have been sorted.

Our housekeeping for our room 629 was great - I believe her name was Liticia and she did a really nice job.....some flowers were on our bed everyday throughout our stay and she always happy to talk to me in the morning. Room tipping of $5 is included in the charge but we gave her a little extra at reception on our check out - so I hope it made its way to her.

F.Y.I - Taxi from the airport is approx $27 - $30 and takes around 25 minutes.

Next time I would like to visit the out islands to experience more of the Bahamas.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank GemmaGarner
Reviewed 28 November 2015

I stopped here for a day visit during a cruise. The hotel, space permitting, allows folks to pay a fee in order to use the hotel beach, public areas, sports equipment, pool, etc. Therefore, I have not stayed overnight. That said, I cannot say enough about the beauty of the property and would look forward to staying as a guest for a multi-night stay. The beach is private and spacious with vibrant water and both lounge chairs and lounge beds available. The staff are attentive and come over to deliver food or drinks. The pool is equally appealing with lounge chairs and beds surrounding it. The outdoor restaurant has a great ambience although it is a little pricey for casual fare (e.g. wraps). The hotel is in a walkable area of Nassau so safety felt good.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Greg S
Andrew H, Front Office Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2015

Dear Gregory,

Thank you for spending the day with us and for your review!

We appreciate your positive feedback and great to know that you enjoyed our property and facilities! We look forward to your extended stay on your next visit to Nassau!

Kind regards

Reviewed 28 November 2015

We cruised on Royal Caribbean and were informed that we would miss their private island due to wind and that we would have to stay in Nassau an extra day. The cruise ship offered $65/pp "shore excursions" to local beaches, which for a family of four was pricey. I got online and started searching for Marriott and Hilton properties that we could use since we are frequent travelers of both. This Hilton had a 40,000 point room (two twin beds, sliver of an ocean view) available, which would have been $340 if we had paid for it. Clicked "book" and headed over to the hotel, which is about a 300 yards' walk from the pier. The lobby is very beautiful, and they let us check in early. Our room was gorgeous--very classy and historical-looking. The one downfall was that when I tried to give the kids a bath, tons of rust came out of the tap, making the tub unusable--same for the sink, rust just kept pouring out. Thankfully there wasn't that problem with the shower, but the water pressure was pretty low. There was a free liter of bottled water in the room to compensate for the rusty pipes so you could make coffee, etc. The pool area was lovely--lots of nice lounge chairs and a poolside bar (pricey, though, $27 for two drinks in plastic cups). Towels were included and there were permanent "tiki umbrellas" in the sand if you wanted shade. The beach was tiny, but the water was clear and there wasn't any undertow so the kids enjoyed it. Instead of having two employees sitting at the towel stand all day, they would have been better put to use cleaning the beach--I picked up a rusty bottle cap, some glass, and other debris. You can hear the faint booming of music from nearby Senor Frog's, so I'd avoid that side of the hotel. Also on the beach you smell a near-constant odor of ship's fuel. But....given the circumstances, having to make lemonade from lemons, it was a welcome diversion and a very peaceful beach to park it at for an afternoon and again the next morning. They also let us do late checkout. So while I wouldn't recommend this hotel for a lengthy true beach vacay, I would definitely recommend it as a cruise ship respite. Even though we didn't actually sleep there, it was worth it to have a home base, use of the beach, and a room to let the kids shower in and to hold our stuff while we were at the beach.

Room tip: Avoid the side near the pier, as the rooms are by a loud bar
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank J9015CKkellyp

Hi fredandkell,

Thank you for your review!

We know how difficult it is to accumulate points; so it is good that you found value for them with the time spent with us! We are in close proximity to the cruise port and this has proven to be a benefit for us. Our guests enjoy watching ships and there maneuvering in the channel in front of the hotel; regrettably with the ships turning around and their thrusters they do push debris (such as glass and bottle tops) up on the shore. We do have landscapers and our internal team which address as much as possible and apologize that you encountered those items while on the beach.

During your time with us we did have a water line which was replaced and caused discoloration in the water. We are pleased that the process is now done and we have had no further concerns.
It is great to know that overall you enjoyed our private beach and general facilities. We take pride in maintaining the entire property and hope that you will have another opportunity to visit with us in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back to the British Colonial.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 27 November 2015 via mobile

The good: Great location to walk the shopping strip, private beach and pool, 7th floor breakfast and happy hour redeemed our stay (friendly staff), free snorkel gear and kayak use, most staff was friendly, great view of cruise ships entering and leaving harbor. The bad: lobby isn't a good place to hang out with friends, bar had live music but kids weren't allowed, they checked us in to a dirty room at first which is something no guest should see, did not explain about our rate including the 7th floor lounge (incl bfast and happy hour!), bathroom is teeny tiny with hardly any water pressure (would not wash sand off ur body), TV in room is 32", street noise/music all night long, ENTIRE hotel - all signage w letters missing, walls needing touch ups, furniture peeling apart - it ALL needs a renovation. Does not feel like a Hilton! Paid nearly $1k for 2 beds for 2 nights - did not feel like any other hotel we've stayed in for that price!!! As I write this, the beat of a nearby club is boom boom booming. 10pm Friday.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Andrew H, Front Office Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2015

Dear Scubagirl999,

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are pleased that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and amenities such as the executive lounge, pool and beach. We agree that It is a great site to see the cruise ships coming in and out of port.

We are very sorry for the inconsistencies as mentioned with your guest room and overall maintenance of the facility. We will be following up with our housekeeping team to address our cleanliness concerns and just this week started to source a company to make repairs to lettering and signage around the hotel. We realize the impact that both have on the overall guest view and will be working to make needed corrections. We also apologize for the disturbance of noise from the city. I can understand your frustration with this especially while traveling with family.

We are sorry that your stay was not to your complete satisfaction and look forward to your return when I am sure that you will have a much more enjoyable stay. Please feel free to contact me directly if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards

Reviewed 27 November 2015 via mobile

We spent the day here while we were in port on a cruise. It was a great value, the beach was clean food was good service was awesome. Great chairs on the beach facing the water. We would do it again. The hotel is walking distance from the cruise port, and just off the main strip.

Date of stay: February 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank bwb138

Hi Brooks138!

Thank you for taking the time to write your review!

We are glad that you enjoyed your day pass and hope that your cruise was relaxing. We are pleased that you found our product and services to your liking and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Best regards