Windward Passage Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
US$167
Priceline
  • Pool
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove(Charlotte Amalie)
Free cancellation until 22/07
US$640
Emerald Beach Resort(Charlotte Amalie)
Free cancellation until 25/07
US$275
US$178
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort(South Coast)(Great Value!)
US$326
US$213
Secret Harbour Beach Resort(Benner)(Great Value!)
US$353
TripAdvisor
All reviewspoint resortactivities directorupper poolst thomasa great vacationbeautiful viewlaid backloriislandstovecruise
Reviewed 24 April 2017

We returned to STT and Flamboyan (aka Magen's Point Resort / MPR) in March for our annual visit. (Full disclosure - we are interval villa owners).

As usual, we found the resort to be clean, laid back and as we've mentioned before - like our 2nd home. The staff welcomed us and our room was ready. In the unit we found new linens (new bedspreads and sheets are great - but nothing feels better than new, fluffy towels). We did find that our bathroom was missing its window blinds but this was not an issue and we understand they will be replaced soon.

We met some new folks to the resort and gave them the usual advice - rent a car, driving is not impossible and can actually be fun, go to the "bulk" grocery stores for the best buys and of course, recommendations on restaurants and bars. And be sure to head down to Magens Bay beach for breakfast. Go early, order your food, get a seat on the deck and wait for the cruise ship folks to pour in - it's one of the cheapest and most entertaining shows on the island.

Flamboyan / MPR continues to improve the resort and for those not familiar with island "issues" or more to the point - how things progress in the caribbean, this can be more challenging than you can imagine. Nothing is cheap or happens as fast as the owners or visitors want but that's part of "island time". Please accept that this is not the Waldorf Astoria, take a deep breath, be respectful, enjoy the view and beverage/ cocktail and kick back. Nothing will be perfect today and tomorrow looks doubtful. If you accept "island time", your trip will be much better. Our borrowed slogan is "Be a traveler - not a tourist".

We hope you enjoy Flamboyan / MPR as much as we do. We've been coming back since '91 and look forward to our visit each year.

Many THANKS to Lori, Viola, Mercedes, Mike and all the Staff for another great visit. Looking forward to 2018!

Cheers,

L&J
Miami Beach

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JRD33141
Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

Food was trendy and delicious! Vegetarian friendly. No kid menu, but our two split a burger and fries. We sat outside by the pool. Super pleasant. Great service. Not busy. A little pricey, but worth it

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2017 via mobile

Stayed at the resort to attend our daughter's wedding while she was in port on a cruise. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We did not rent a car. We took taxis everywhere, which can add up, but we are not interested in driving in St. Thomas. Room was okay. Needs updating and attention. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The food at the restaurant was good and staff there were friendly. The resort is close to Magen's Bay, but there is very little shoulder on the road to walk there. We did walk down and took a taxi back.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

This was my second visit to the resort to celebrate my friend's birthday who lives on island. The event was hosted at the resort. Excellent!

The property is charming (two nice pools and hot tubs), friendly accommodating staff (Lori the GM is super), comfortable rooms (stove, frig, microwave -- but it didn't take pictures , complete set of dishes; pots & pans). The hotel is located just two minutes from magnificent Magens Bay Beach.

The restaurant onsite offers good food and drinks at fair prices. The bartender named, Fish is a kool guy.

Cup & Cork is an awesome onsite coffee house. Awesome drinks and food! Say hello to Lee Ann.

Have fun.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 March 2017

I was traveling around St Thomas with my family on a beach day, and after visiting Lindqvist beach, we found ourselves driving toward Magens Bay in need of some food. We came upon the Flamboyan by accident, following signs we sighted for their cafe/deli, "The Cup and Cork."

The resort itself is tucked away high up on the heavily forested hills of St Thomas. The only sound we heard when we arrived was wind chimes that seemed to hang from every tree. The atmosphere was relaxed and serene, and we all immediately felt that we might be on to one of those places you just happen upon and like immediately.

I don't want to oversell the experience too much, because happening upon it with no expectations was a key part of how much we enjoyed it, but it was definitely one of those serendipitous finds. I don't know who owns Flamboyan, but I'd like to. Someone loves this place. I've stayed at more luxurious and more expensive resorts on St Thomas, and while they're very nice, there's no substitute for love. The design feels right. The spaces are comfortable. We strolled around the main buildings, high above the shoreline below, and explored one of the pools, a hot tub hidden in a landscaped rocky summit, the restaurant and a bar, "The 3 Sheets."

There's something about the architecture of the place that's hard to describe. The restaurant and the bar were both built in a gazebo-like, open-air style, thought the restaurant is more enclosed. It's cozy without being claustrophobic. It just felt right - welcoming and comfortable. Something about the layout of the neat and tidy tables, the bungalow roof beams, and the simple but creative decor just felt good. In the restaurant I took note of some ceiling decorations around the lighting fixtures made out of spirals of wine corks from nights past. It was creative and fun - and looked like someone made it rather than bought it, in the best way possible.

All the nooks and crannies that I looked in reflected the same feelings: comfort, relaxation, and peace. The whole resort seems to be multi-layered, with many changes in elevation and hidden areas to be found at the top or bottom of each staircase. It worked. I'm not an architect, but I feel like this kind of arrangement could easily be unpleasant or annoying if done poorly. It's done just right here. The spaces feel right.

We wound up in the 3 Sheets Bar, found a table near the precipitous gorge that the resort overlooks, and ordered drinks. Our host Tyler fixed us some drinks (he got my Mojito just right, not too much sugary syrup), and we checked out the menus.
The food on offer was ambitious: many of the menu items had unusual combinations of flavors, or well-known ingredients used in unusual ways. We were all interested in the peanut butter burgers, Dorito-crusted chicken wraps, and pot roast nachos, but I was skeptical at first. Sometimes an innovative flavor combination includes tasty ingredients that just don't go well together. Sometimes a strange ingredient is just a gimmick. Would that be the case at the 3 Sheets?

Tyler was adamant that it would not! His recommendations were made with confidence, and we took the chance. Our group wound up ordering the pot roast nachos, an Italian-themed burger, some mahi wraps and a few other more traditional burger type items.

And they were great! This menu is not just for show. Someone figured out these recipes and made sure they worked before they put them on the menu. The food was well-made and hit the spot. My pot roast nachos included the usual cheese, peppers and tomatoes, but with the twist of seasoned pot roast instead of ground beef or some other boring meat and Sriracha-infused sour cream to top it off. Everyone else at the table was similarly enthusiastic about their choices.

We spent a lovely afternoon enjoying the food, the view, and the service. While our time there was short, and we weren't lodging there, I'm happy to give it my recommendation. I kept getting the same feeling: the people who run this place care. They care about making it good, and it shows. I'll keep the Flamboyan in mind in the future. I hope that when I visit it again, I'll find the same cheerful serendipity we found there today.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family