Windward Passage Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
US$170
US$197
US$172
Hotels.com
Olga's Fancy(Charlotte Amalie)(Great Value!)
US$175
US$168
Galleon House Bed & Breakfast(Charlotte Amalie)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$95
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Emerald Beach Resort(Charlotte Amalie)
US$252
Hotels.com
US$325
Bunker Hill Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
Free cancellation until 29/07
US$130
US$125
Midtown Guest House(Charlotte Amalie)
US$90
Bluebeard's Castle Resort(Charlotte Amalie)
TripAdvisor
4,429 results
All reviewsmorning starfrenchman's reefaqua terracoco joesthe main hotelharbor wingsunset grillrum barswim up baradventure centermain poolsea cliffinfinity poolnight kayakinggarden viewst thomastennis courts
Reviewed 22 December 2012

We stayed at the Morning Star portion of the property and here are the ups and down..

**Starting with the low points since this list is much shorter. While the room we booked was listed as an ocean view room that assessment is bit of a stretch, actually we had a fantastic view of the balcony of the room adjacent to ours and past that was the ocean. We were in a first floor (of a two story) so the views from the second floor may have been better. Less than a foot away from our balcony was three of the noisiest air conditioning units i have ever heard. Their placement is as curious as it is unfortunate and annoying. They cycle on and off non stop making for a less than relaxing morning cup of coffee or evening cigar and cocktail and they reek havoc on your night sleep.

** Highlights??? gonna be a long list. Starting with the personnel... The staff at this resort are amazing overall but there are a few notables..
Starting with the information Tzar ZOGISLE (Zoo Gyle). He was actually our first contact at the resort and The Marriott is unlikely to ever find a better "Welcome Mat". Zogisle is a must find when you get to the resort. He will sit with you and get you squared away with whatever it is that you have on your list of things to do. Best part is if you take the time to share your story, he listens well enough to figure you out. He sent us to a fantastic local hangout (Latitude 18) and as soon as we got there we realized that Zogisle had heard every word that we said and found us the spot that fit our needs TO A TEE.. So, trust his recommendations on the cozy little places off the beaten path and that is just the tip of the iceberg,, Zogisle has extensive recommendations on amazing places to eat (exponentially better than any of the information we've read in Frommers or Fodors)!!! He'll get you to the place that will fit the bill for you no mater what mood you are in or what vibe you are looking for. And more refreshing than anything he is honest and trustworthy. If he wouldn't go there he's not gonna send you there either.
While still on property get to Coco Joe's bar and restaurant on the beach for lunch, dinner and drinks. Once there be sure to request Yvette as your server. If for some inexplicable reason you wake up in paradise in a sour mood this lovely woman will have you smiling in seconds with her easy going attitude and her infectious laugh.. You just can't help but smile when you are around her. But if you still need a bit more help find the bartender Zane,,, this dude is a hoot!! He gets crazy busy as he mans the bar by himself and some how manages to get you laughing.. and is a blast to talk with when he does have a minute to relax.

The property itself is beautiful period. The beach and the water are among the best we have ever seen. There are amazing views to be seen from multiple places on property. Enjoy this property, the food, the drinks and most importantly,,,,, ENJOY THE STAFF. We did.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2013

Thank you for the great review and breathtaking photos! Our leadership team greatly appreciates the detailed mentions of our team so we can thoroughly recognize them. We also appreciate the mention of the a/c units. We are currently in the process of updating Morning Star Resort. Happy New Year and we hope another vacation brings you back to the islands!

Reviewed 22 December 2012

We stayed here one night in transit to the BVI and are frequent travelers to the VI. Lovely resort, good service, great room, but the food at the Aqua Terra Restaurant was absolutely dreadful and extremely expensive. I have had better mashed potatoes from the frozen food section of my grocery store and our fish and steak entrees were both substandard. This was the worst meal we had on the entire trip. Go to Charlotte Amalie to one of the many great restaurants in town. I will not stay here again for this reason.

1  Thank BGMoss
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2012

Please accept my apology for your disappointing meal at Aqua Terra. I have passed this review onto the management team for investigation. We have several restaurants on the property to choose from and hope that based on past reviews, you will give us another opportunity on your next visit. Happy New Year!

Reviewed 22 December 2012

I choose this property because of my previous experiences with the chain. I would like to start with something positive. The concierge Mandy M. made our trip very enjoyable with great restaurant recommendations and activity suggestions. Well done ! Now the not so good. The place has some mechanical issues. The elevators in the main building worked sporadically during our stay and at times neither worked for extended periods. We just started using the stairs all of the time to get to the lobby. The elevators also smelled like grease or oil probably tied to the constant maintenance issues. Luckily we were on the first floor. I guess I will throw this is in too. We booked the room months in advance and requested an upper floor room with an ocean view. Paid extra for that and got a room in the basement of the building. We did get an ocean view. The ice machine on our floor never worked during the stay and the other ice machines were difficult to locate. The food was average at best and we are so glad we did not get in the all-inclusive package. DO NOT DO THAT ! There are many places to eat on the island and we spent very little time at the resort. We had the breakfast buffet most mornings before we were on our way. Breakfast was decent with no complaints there. The other food venues had lack luster service and average boring offerings. Once again, stay away from the all-inclusive packages. Our first room (water view) was under the sunset grill over looking a pool filled with children. We asked to move immediately and were given a room on the first floor in bowels of the building. The AC dripped water from the air return the entire time. We collected the water in the garbage can. Called the front desk twice and nothing was done from what we could see. Housekeeping just worked around our collection bucket. We had to call for towels and coffee multiple times otherwise we would have been without. We never used the beach area since it was a journey of elevators, paths and broken boardwalks to get there. We had to transverse the tennis courts to get to Coco Joe's and the beach. In summary the place was somewhat clean, had mechanical issues, sub par service (except for Mandy M.) but just not a great value for a Marriott. We would try another resort if we ever return to St. Thomas.

Room Tip: Good luck. Our room was just a place to sleep, shower and store our stuff. AC leaked water, doors to the outside were difficult to close and the door to the hallway did not seal that well.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for pointing out the outstanding service you received from Mandy. We appreciate you highlighting the positives of your overall experience despite a few mishaps. If another vacation does bring you back to St. Thomas, feel free to contact me through the hotel so that I can assist you. We would love the opportunity to show you the level of service Marriott is known for. Please, keep looking here on TripAdvisor to observe our improvements and view our current specials. Thank you again.

Reviewed 22 December 2012

On the surface, thie resort looks picture perfect. It's on the ocean, they have beach cabanas adjacent to the beach, over 3 swimming pools and two hot tubs and supposedly went through a $30,000,000.00 renovation and your in paradise being in St. Thomas. Yes on the surface this hotel is supposed to be a 4 star resort but it is NOT. In fact it is far from it!

My wife and I traveled to St. Thomas to spend our second anniversary together here at the Marriott. When we arrived at 4:00pm our room was not even ready (4pm and room is not ready). We were supposed to be in the main resort however, they placed us in the Morningstar bungalows. Ok, no problem, being by the beach is great right? Wrong!!!! The walls in the Morning Star Bungalows are paper thin, the air conditioner is as loud as a jack hammer when it is on, the ice maker in the room sounds like a bee when it is working, the air conditioning vent looks like it has not been cleaned in years and the bathroom is OLD.

Ohhh, bring your black light because I bet you the beds and sheets are not clean either. One of the day we returned to our room, house keeping placed a number of dirty brown stained pillows on our bed. I even circled the stains for house keeping the next day to remove the stained pillows just so they would not miss this important detail...

On to the two hot tubs that did not work while we were hear the entire time. The hot tubs were at most luke warm. We had asked them to fix the hotub the first day we were here but by the sixth day the tub wasnt working still. The seawater was warmer then the hot tub. As to the pools, at night they are poorly lit.

Now the only saving grace the Morningstar Beach room does have is it does have a somewhat working refrigirator (go out and purchase your food outside the hotel..they have a carribbean style costco just up route 38 East if you rent a car...its worth it or go to the food center on your way to Red Hook on the left hand side of the road). A large spacious patio with a nice table and that is is close to the Morning Star Beach.

A few other saving features about this hotel however it is very inconsistent at times is that the staff can be somewhat responsive if they dont have an attitude, or a cold, or is out trecking 9 miles to get more beach towels because there out of beach towels. But not all staff are this friendly...beware, some of them just wish they werent there in the first place and well are plain lazy, yet a small handful are as sweet as a peach and nice as can be. Most of the Islanders are sweet as a peach and nice as can be in general. The snorkel gear at the hotel is part of the resort fee so I recommend renting it for the day and taking it with you around the beaches of St. Thomas and St. John and the parking is ample.

Now to the food at this hotel, whatever you do, do not pay for the over priced very very shabby breakfast buffet. It is not worth $24.95 and simply does not have the quality a breakfust buffet should have. Also, they only have one hostest trying to seat the entire hotel and they move like molases. I travel a lot and this breakfust buffet is not worth it at all. The other places to eat on the resort have standard bar type food and it is resort style over priced...go to the Caribbean Costco I was telling you about.

I would not return to this hotel, I would not recommend this hotel, I would not come back. Like I said on the surface this place looks great but it is NOT. Its a dissapointment.

BTW we were offered a room in the main resort and decided to check them out once one became available. Here is the deal on those, they are small, they are a little bit more modern but you have to get into the rooms by taking an elevator that has not been remodeled since the 1960's...yes that is how fast they move and how old they look...It is not a privilage or right to stain the main hotel, their equally as bad.

Room Tip: Do not stay here at all, please stay somewhere else
3  Thank mohaffa

Thank you for your feedback. I regret we were unable to meet your expectations for this recent visit. I would welcome the opportunity to hear from you directly if there is anything else you would like to discuss. I can be reached at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com. Please know that we do take all these reviews seriously in our efforts to improve guest experience. Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

I travel on business 27 weeks per year so I stay in a lot of hotels. This one will go down as one of my favorites! I stayed at the Morning Star Beach Resort. This location is quite and comfortable! Guests have free use of the kayaks and snorkling equipment. I worked 8-5 everyday, but at 5 pm I felt like I was on an amazing vacation each day! First - if you are on business travel there is free wireless internet; however, there is a good bit of traffic during "rush hour" getting to and from town. I went back and forth to the airport area each day and the traffic was pretty bad, but it is still a beautiful drive and I didn't feel stressed out at all. This hotel would be the location I would pick if I were going on a honeymoon! There were times when I was the only person on the beach. You will feel like you have the place all to yourself! I stayed at this property December 11 - 14, 2012. Do keep in mind that food in St. Thomas is very expensive and even a trip to the grocery store will cost you double what you would pay at home. I agree with Cynthia S...it is a tropical paradise that fit in perfectly with my business needs.

Room Tip: Building 1 is beside the outdoor bar area and can get loud. I stayed in building 2 and it was very quite. Building 5 is by another outdoor bar area. Building 1 and 2 are 2 stories, and 3-5 are 3 stories and there are no elevators - keep this in mind if you have an issue with stairs.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Erin N

Thank you for your great descriptions! Sounds like you had a business trip to remember. We look forward to your next visit here!