“Cottages is a little slice of heaven on earth!”

Cottages By The Sea
Ranked #1 of 3 Frederiksted B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 May 2017

Where to even begin? My husband a I spent three days in the Cone Shell cottage which was perfect for us! It was right behind the office, and literally steps away from the most picturesque beach. It was our first time in St. Croix, but it won't be our last.

As many commenters have mentioned, this place is perfect: the beaches, the weather, the activities, and the restaurants were all idyllic. But, I wanted to take a quick moment to recognize the most important characteristic of this charming place - the people. Paul (the owner), literally went above and beyond for my husband and I the first night we arrived.

I, for some odd reason, was really craving a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. But with no car, there was seemingly no way I'd be able to satisfy my craving. I'd have to wait several more days until I got home to indulge. Or so I thought! The people at Cottages really do everything they can to make you feel at home. Paul was so kind to offer to drive my husband and I to the grocery store to buy some essentials so that I could satisfy my cravings many times over. But, before we took off he insisted that we stick around for the most beautiful sunset ever! Thank goodness we did, if you've never seen the "green flash" in person, I'd suggest you make the trip to Cottages just for that reason alone!

After we left the grocery store, Paul even provided us with an impromptu tour of the beautiful city and pointed out several recommendations for coffee and food options. To say that Cottages is a great place to visit is an understatement. No pictures or reviews do this place justice. Having spent many hours traversing the island, I can honestly say that there's no other place on this island better than Cottages. So, what are you waiting for? Come see for yourself!

Albert & Amber in April

Room Tip: Cone Shell was a great quaint little cottage with everything you need to make your vacation special!
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Proprietor_127A, Public Relations Manager at Cottages By The Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2017

Thank you for your kind words and kind review, Albert and Amber. Paul rarely has the time to sit down at a computer, but I will pass on your kind words in this review to him. Paul enjoys taking guests on mini tours and runs to the grocery store, so I'm glad he had the time to help you out. We really appreciate that you took the time to give us a great review and we sincerely hope that you join us again one day soon. Cone Shell is a special cottage (my personal favorite) so glad you enjoyed it as much as I do. See you again soon! Sincerely, Ruth (Paul's sister)

There are newer reviews for Cottages By The Sea

Reviewed 14 May 2017

I just got back home from a week long stay at Cottages by the Sea. This was my first trip to St. Croix and I think Cottages by the Sea made me enjoy it that much more! I can't imagine staying anywhere else. This place is beautiful, just steps from the beach, and so peaceful! We were in Caribe cottage and it was perfect. We made breakfast for ourselves every morning and enjoyed it on our patio with a view that didn't seem real. I will definitely be staying here again if/when I come back. Thank you to everyone on the staff, we truly enjoyed our visit and you all were great :)

Room Tip: We used the map on the website and pictures on Facebook to help make our decision.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Caribe is a great cottage, so we are so glad that you were able to stay there and enjoy the excellent view. We appreciate that you took the time to give us a great review and we are even more grateful that you had a nice, relaxing vacation because that is what we strive to provide to our guests. We hope you are able to relax with us again one day soon!

Reviewed 7 May 2017

I have a hard time not telling everyone I know about this place. This was our second visit and we do not even think of staying elsewhere. It is perfect. We stayed in the Cone cottage this year. It was great. The map of the property on their website is not scaled correctly (in a good way). The cottages toward the 'back' of the property just does not allow you to SEE the water. It is truly just 5 or 10 more steps to the beach as the beach front cottages. You cannot go wrong here. Ruth was tremendous with us setting the reservation. We had an extra person on this trip and they accommodated us for their 1/2 off discounts. The office staff and housekeeping is top notch. I have nothing negative to say. We are already planning the next 2 trips back!!! The cottages are basic -not fancy at all but they have everything you need. It is peaceful and beautiful and perfect.

Room Tip: There is not a bad choice. Whether you can see the water or not, you are 10-20 steps from you cottag...
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends

Hi Celia, this is Ruth. I am so glad that you enjoyed Cone Shell, my personal favorite cottage, and thank you for describing the distance of the "off the water" cottages to the beach. I talk to people all day, every day, who can't envision just how close all of the cottages are to the beach, so thank you for describing that. We do look forward to your next visit, and thanks for the great review!

Reviewed 1 May 2017

A quaint family owned hotel that has unique cottages for your stay. As we were planning our vacation we appreciated the quick email replies to our questions and booking was easy online. The units are small so you may need to book 2. The 2nd cottage was half off which made our stay affordable. We looked at several resorts on the island and this was by far the best property we found. No matter which unit you choose, you are only a few steps away from the beach and ocean.

Each unit is different in size, decorations, and amenities. To accommodate our family of 6 we stayed in the Commodore and Crew which were next door to each other (no inner door to adjoin the rooms). The Commodore had a full kitchen while the crew had a small fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. There are some units that do have an inner adjoining door if this is something you need.

Units:
*Very close to the ocean and beach
*Keypad entry – you set your own 4 digit code – no room keys to worry about. Having 4 kids coming and going – this feature was fantastic!
*Beds were very comfortable and had lots of pillows
*Rooms were modern but dated. Clean (or as clean as a place can be with all the sand being tracked all over). We did have “ants” in the kitchen area. There was spray for us to use and that seemed to help. Please note that we are sure most (if not all) places in a tropical environment will have some sort of bug. It just goes with the territory.

Property:
*Plenty of beach chairs, umbrellas
*Complimentary kayaks, beach toys, snorkeling gear (most left from past guests)
*Quiet beach – only 2 hotels share a very long beach area. On either side the beach is open to the public. Locals used the beach but it never felt busy or full.
*Close to Frederiksted which had several restaurants, shops, and some sightseeing.
*Staff were very friendly & helpful. The ”front desk” was not always staffed but there was a number to call if you needed anything. ( If you are used to a big resort service this place may not be for you). We LOVED the small, quiet, private feeling this hotel offered. You are on Island time and things are relaxed as a vacation should be. We appreciated Jennifer – she was friendly and always helpful!
*There are some resort cats that roam about. Kids loved them! They are not overly friendly but they did allow the kids to pet them occasionally. They are just around. Well cared for but not a nuisance.
*Sundays & Wednesdays are green days – no housekeeping so you need to plan accordingly
*Water is safe to drink
*Air conditioners & Fans in the rooms
*Enjoyed the outside sitting areas
*Restaurant next door (another hotel)

2 grocery stores a short drive away – Stop & Shop was convenient (under 5 minute drive). Most items were a little more in price than what we were used to paying. This was true for most of the island. The Market Plaza was about a 10 minute drive and had a better produce/meat section.

Safety:
We felt safe for our entire trip. We were mindful not to be out after dark.
Resort was small enough that the kids could walk around and go back and forth from the room to the beach.

Summary:
Our family is used to the typical big box hotel chain/resort stay. We loved this place and would stay again. By staying here you trade 24hr service and some amenities for quiet, casual family time. We enjoyed the flexibility of cooking for ourselves or eating out. We didn’t mind washing dishes and didn’t need constant “entertainment.” This property was a perfect choice for us. It came close to Glamping (Glamorous Camping). We were comfortable without the fuss.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write this nice, detailed review. Commodore is a great cottage (Crew still needs to be updated), and we are glad your family enjoyed your stay in those cottages. He are happy that you broke away from the chain/resort style hotel and gave us a chance! We are a different atmosphere, but from reading the reviews on this page today, I am reminded that being small and different works for a lot of people, so, for that, we are grateful. We hope your family visits with us again one day soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

The cottage faced the water, the sound of the surf was very relaxing and comforting. The staff was cordial. If you are looking to kick back and relax, with the family, this is the place. You can cook in your own kitchen or eat out

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo

Thanks for this kind and spot on review. Our goal is to be a quaint and relaxing get away for our guests. Please visit with us again one day soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Frederiksted
20.1 km away
0.0 km away
Sand Castle on the Beach
Sand Castle on the Beach
#2 of 3 in Frederiksted

Been to Cottages By The Sea? Share your experiences!