7 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Tamarind Reef
US$237
View deal
TripadvisorUS$237
Orbitz.com
eDreams
Travelocity
Hotels.com
All reviews deep end restaurant galleon restaurant buck island paddle boards restaurant bar tennis courts patio kitchenette ocean beach feet croix stove units
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 January 2020

First, the staff couldn't be nicer. We had a couple of issues with our room and everything was "fixed" within 24 hours. By fixed I mean they really couldn't so they sealed, patched, covered or removed what was not working. The hotel is in need of a serious facelift, especially the exterior. Instead of lattice on our patio like other units, we had a blue tarp that kept coming loose. The upper deck definitely needs to be replaced.

That being said, the rooms are very spacious with generous closet and drawer space. Each unit has a patio or balcony that overlooks the beautiful Caribbean. The downstairs units have a little kitchenette, the upstairs just had fridge and microwave.

The overall property is nice but definitely needs updating.

The Galleon Restaurant is and has been closed for a couple of years and the Spa is closed indefinitely. They need to update their website.

I did hear that the property is for sale.

Date of stay: January 2020
3  Thank SerabiV
Bonnie K, Manager at Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2020

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We're happy that you enjoyed our staff and beautiful views from every room. We feel horrible about the blue tarp on your patio divider. Another long term guest put that in place and we failed to remove it prior to your visit. As you probably noticed, we are nearly complete in replacing all of the lattice dividers with a new, more private wooden divider. We are also in the process of continuing renovations all around the property.
We apologize if you missed the mention of the spa and The Galleon being closed on our website. The spa should be reopening soon, and our guest service representatives are always here to assist guests with spa services such as massage, etc.
We appreciate you staying with us and hope you'll be back again to enjoy a fresh look with outstanding views!

Reviewed 3 January 2020

My son learned a valuable lesson during our stay here - that even when his mom saves up a lot of money and plans a special trip to a special place, the people and the resort may not be what he'd hoped for. Not even close. The resort, especially the rooms, resemble nothing of their ads. On arrival and during our stay (because they wouldn't move us), our room smelled like mold, the A/C has one setting - arctic, there's overflowing trash cans everywhere and the restaurant staff (with a couple exceptions) are incredibly rude. We were trapped here without a vehicle and while it's great to have kayaks, paddleboards and snorkel stuff available, you really can't swim off this beach. Too many big waves and rocks. When we did escape via taxi ($40 one way to Fredericksted, $15 to Christiansted, $30 to the airport), all the drivers commented on how disappointed their Tamarind Reef passengers were with the resort. They all felt it was shameful and shared stories worse than ours. I honestly wish we'd had one of the great experiences others describe with their 4 and 5 star ratings. But we most certainly did not. What a waste of money.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
6  Thank Charlotte B
Nadia KHUBLAL, Marketing at Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2021

We are truly sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. Please contact us at reservations@tamarindreefresort.com or pr@tamarindreefresort.com so that we can discuss further and gain some feedback, which we will use to improve upon future stays.

Thank you!

Reviewed 9 December 2019

Tamarind Reef has your hotel accommodations, restaurant/bar, tennis courts and marina + much more. The beach is there for limited snorkeling as well as the pool. I have traveled to STX for many years---this is my go-to place to stay. You will need a vehicle if you stay here.

Date of stay: January 2019
2  Thank Sailwithnl
Bonnie K, Manager at Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2019

Thank you so much for your wonderful review; we appreciate you taking the time to recognize us! We're so glad that you keep coming back and will welcome you again and again!

Reviewed 10 June 2019

When I arrived, there wasn't parking anywhere. People parked in the grass and on the road too. My first thought was that the place must be great if it was that popular. When I found the office and checked in, I was told that I couldn't have a key made at that time and would have to wait. She let me into the room and assured me she would bring my key in a few minutes. Keep in mind, there is also no elevator so carrying your bags up the steps is going to take a few minutes. I got all of my stuff in my room and waited. The smell in the room was so overpowering that I couldn't breathe. I searched everywhere for the offending air freshener and could not find one. It must have been the cleaners they use. Hotels of any kind really should know by now that they shouldn't use strong perfumes like that. There are many people like me who are extremely sensitive or allergic. I was getting a migraine already so I walked back down to the office and asked if there was another room. She said they were completely booked due to prom and that she would have to call her supervisor to drive in before I could have my key. She also had to let me back in because I locked the door due to all of my belongings being inside the room already. I also complained of the smell and advised her that I will likely need to be let back in again soon because I would have to walk around for fresh air. She let me back in and I decided to try the balcony first. When I booked the reservation months ago I clearly stated and was assured that I would have a view without a tree blocking everything. I seemed to have the one room with a massive tree directly in front of my balcony. All the other rooms had nice see through palm trees, but mine (room 31 if you are wondering) had a massive leafy tree directly in front of it. The so called "Private" balcony was NOT private at all. On each side there was a piece of cloth canvas stretched out. However, on each side this canvas was torn and anyone could easily see through it. Not only see through, but they could walk through it if they desired. I must ensure I lock my balcony every night and close the drapes. So much for the idea of hearing the ocean at night through a cracked door. After about half an hour had passed, I went back to the office to ask again about my key. I really wanted just to unpack and go to sleep as I had a long flight and probably hadn't slept in near 24 hours. When I got to the office, it was locked. I waited in front for another 15 minutes or so before trying to call. I got an answering machine. I left a very unhappy message and waited longer. After a while, a man came in. Apparently the girl had left for the night without even bothering with my key. The man complained that he didn't want to deal with it since he'd just gotten back from a 2 week vacation and I'm sorry, but that did not help my vacation beginning at all to have to feel bad for messing up his return. He made my key right then and there. I don't know why the girl couldn't have done the same thing. Now that I was back in my room, I also noted that the AC didn't work. It pushed air around, but was not cooling anything. At some point through the week, that got fixed. And I eventually aired out the room so I could breathe and had to ask housekeeping NOT to clean through my stay to prevent the smell of chemicals returning. That however, prompted ants to show up in the kitchen despite me not having open food laying around. I had to be careful of my food the rest of the stay as well. The noise factor was horrible. I asked to be put farther away from the bar due to other reviews, which they did. However, my room was 2 doors down from housekeeping so there were constant banging noises and housekeeping yelling and chatter early in the morning. I'd much rather have dealt with late night bar noise in all honesty. I wanted to sleep in for my vacation. I will say though, the bed was comfortable and you could control the temperature of the shower. That is really my only positive notes of my stay. Personally I think they should of at least gave me a discount (or even an apology) for that first night and the key issues. This place is absolutely NOT WORTH $200 a night. There are also large bees out by the beach so don't expect to relax in the uncovered chairs in the blazing sun without being paranoid about getting stung.

Room tip: Don't ask for 31, it's horrible.
Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Bonnie K, Manager at Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2019

We are sincerely sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay. We truly strive to provide the best experience ever for our guests. We just changed our guest room door locks to a different system and all we can determine is that our Front Desk person struggled with making the new keys. We have retrained all of our Front Desk staff so that this doesn't occur again and have also reminded our Housekeeping staff to keep their voices down when around the guest rooms. We appreciate your feedback on the view from room 31 and have trimmed the tree back so that others don't encounter an obstructed view. We regularly trim those trees but sometimes their growth exceeds our trimming schedule. We have implemented a process to ensure that we stay on top of it, as we know our views are some of the best on the island. We truly wish we would have had the opportunity to speak with you regarding your issues and extend whatever courtesies we could to improve your experience. We know you may not be inclined to return to our resort, but if you'd be willing to give us another chance, we would like to make it up to you. If so, please call the resort and ask for Ruth, our hotel supervisor.
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback.

Reviewed 29 May 2019

We loved our stay at Tamarind Reef Resort, was an easy commute to Buck Island through the Marina, nice snorkeling on the beach in front of the hotel. The staff was exceptional, rooms always very clean, front desk always helpful. Great food at the restaurant, but you can also tell its a community place to get together; our last night was the Hermit Crab races which will always bring a smile to our faces. The grounds keeper, too, trimming the palms then opening some coconuts for us, will never be forgotten.

Room tip: Lower floor, near the restaurant is noisy but fun noise if you like to participate
Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Bonnie K, Manager at Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2019

Thanks so much for your very kind words about our resort and staff. We're so glad you got to enjoy the wonderful marine life on our reef and were able to make the quick trip from our marina to Buck Island. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you back soon! We've got a coconut with your name on it!