6 people are viewing this hotel
US$225
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
Hotels.com
SAVE US$70
eDreamsUS$225
Trip.comUS$170
CheapTicketsUS$200
All reviews private island water taxi ferry ride toaster oven main island small ferry small island christiansted boardwalk hotel guests gallows bay can't beat the location the beach is very nice mini fridge beach area rental car kitchenette croix
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 August 2018 via mobile

The best thing that Hotel on the Cay has going for it are the people that work there. My favorite were the ferry drivers that take you to and from the Island. The hotel is clean but not at all accessible. Everything looks like it’s from the late 80’s, early 90’s. The bar is fine but there is no feed. I don’t think it would take much to make it a nice hotel again but I’m not sure how quickly that would happen.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2018

My teenage boys (14/17) and I stayed here in the superior ocean view suite. (2 queen beds and one queen size sleeper sofa) The room also included 2 full baths and 2 balconies, a den area with a TV, additional TV in the bedroom, plus kitchenette, microwave, etc. Plates, cups, bowls, utensils, dish detergent, dish towels even a bottle opener were all provided. The only thing not provided was launder detergent which I purchased at the little snack shop on the island for $3.50. There is a laundry. It costs $2 to wash and $2 to dry. There is free Wifi which worked way better than I had anticipated. The pool had just reopened 2 days before we arrived. It was clean and nice. One day we spent a couple hours lounging by the pool, my boys drinking mocktails and I, my favorite island beer. The accommodations are not super fancy but were clean and totally sufficient for our needs.

Having 2 teenage boys to feed I was disappointed that the restaurant was not up and running at the time of our stay, however, this island is continuing to recover from a major hurricane suffered less than a year ago. There was some work being done to the hotel however, I never heard workers or noises from the repairs being done at the time of our stay. Quite frankly, I was more than impressed by the efforts and progress being made to repair and restore the hotel to its former self. There is a beach bar where beverages can be purchased. At the time of our visit it was cash only. We did not rent a car (there is no parking at the hotel) We took the ferry (which is FREE to all hotel guests) multiple times a day to the boardwalk and to catch taxis to our planned excursions. We rented snorkeling gear form a dive shop on the boardwalk which we used the entire week to snorkel off the beach at the hotel. There are some island iguanas and lizards but they are not aggressive or intrusive. they will stop long enough for you to take their photo then scurry off in the opposite direction.

This is not a 5-star hotel but I can tell you we were treated with 5-star service. EVERYONE I mean EVERYONE from the grounds keepers to the front desk to the beach attendants, bartenders, maintenance workers and housekeeping was friendly and helpful. If I ever return to Christiansted, I will definitely stay here again.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank kellymZ5530XE
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Our stay at Hotel on the Cay was spectacular. The beach was wonderful, the bar had just opened after repairs from the hurricanes and the staff everywhere was friendly, attentive, accommodating, and a joy! My wife and I laid out on the beach every day and as she soaked up the sun I snorkeled a lot!! The pictures I took on this trip were spectacular and that meant that the sunrises and sunsets were simply amazing. The restaurant was not operational when we were there but the barbecue set up nearly everyday meant we had lunch of some great cheeseburgers in paradise with fries for lunch everyday.
Our room was perfect with crosswinds through the sliding glass door and the fan on it was never too hot. We slept with sliding door open and screen closed every night to the ocean waves lulling is to sleep. Great sizeable room and nice tiled shower.
We ate at The Mill for some spectacular pizza. We always eat ate 40 Strand which was spectacular (love their specials). Breakfast at Angry Nates was also great, but the Conch Fritters at Rum Runners were awesome for lunch along with a big salad!!! Go to Shupes on the Boardwalk for a burger and a beer and enjoy the sunset, great burgers, beer, the love of your life at your side watching a sunset in paradise. I can’t wait for 20 more days to head back down.
Ok, for you snorkeling freaks out there like me I will tell you about a little secret, damn, I really should not do this, but here goes. Enter water in front of the hotel, head to the right along the edge of the water drop off from beach down to twelve feet or so. Keep going and you will see an old engine. Many small juvenile fish gather here. Now you will notice a water temperature change from cold to warm water. Now, if you are a strong swimmer and experienced snorkeler you should continue following the drop off in the water hugging the cliff or even going out into 50-60 feet of open water. If you are not comfortable with this then head to the old wall that you will see broken apart in shallower water.
What you will see EVERYDAY (what I saw)— Deeper water along drop off cliff: Amazing amount of fish, grunts, porcupine fish, sea turtles, barracuda, nurse sharks, 2 Large Eagle Rays circling me to 3 ft- AMAZING, scrawled file fish, damselfish, red squirrelfish, ...any fish you can imagine on the list of Caribbean fish you will see in both locations!! Amazing...in the shallower water toward the old wall you see many conches and many sea urchins, some alive and some dead. Soooo many amazing species, many juveniles, lobsters...simply spectacular!! Just DO IT!
I snorkeled around the entire island and was blown away by the biodiversity. WARNING-I GOT YELLED AT BY MY WIFE & WARNED BY STAFF BECAUSE LAST YEAR A DAD FROM WISCONSIN GOT SWEPT OUT TO SEA AND DROWNED. BUT, I did not find or fight any strong currents even at 60-80 feet depth in the channel. I snorkeled everyday...loved it. We also went to Buck Island for a half day trip with Big Beards. Great as always!

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank dbokeno
Reviewed 30 July 2018

I was really glad that I had chosen this hotel to book in the end for several reasons, despite what others had warned in reviews concerning hurricane damage. For one, St. Croix at large took a hit from Hurricane Maria. When booking a trip to St. Croix, one should be mindful of the level of effort that is being made to slowly turn the damage around (FEMA workers are present). Yes, there were parts of Hotel on the Cay that were still inoperable, but this did not hinder our stay at all. The best part about this hotel is the snorkeling off the edge of it, which was some of the best we had access to during the trip even with driving to other sights to do the same activity. Note, if you are considering booking at the Buccaneer, you may have a fancier hotel experience, but you will not be able to snorkel as easily off the end of the beach. If you go and you stay at Hotel on the Cay, rent a car and leave it on the Christiansted side of the island, on King or Company Street. Just make a point on your way from the airport to the hotel to stop at Plaza Extra, the giant food store in the middle of the island. You can find everything you will need here to get settled- dry goods, vegetables and anything home related. Prices are a little elevated, but this is to be expected. Beer, liquor and wine are available for purchase. You’ll probably end up buying a reuseable bag as there are no plastic bags here (for good reason).

The ferry ride back and forth is super easy to use and reliable. As soon as the captain spots you near the bench on the Christiansted side, he’ll drive over to pick you up. Dennis did a great job and gives you a good low down on what’s good on the island. Be sure to tip the captains with each ride.

The housekeeping upkeep was good and the front desk was always helpful when needed. Towels are available to borrow daily. I’d recommend calling any gear rental in early (within the week) to ensure that you’ll have what you need when you are there. We own all of our own snorkel gear but were relieved to hear we could rent just fins for the days there which kept us from having to check any bags on the flights over. They have gear of all kinds and will ask for your preferences and sizes. Though I never met Michelle in person, the manager of the Water Sport Shop at the hotel, she ensured that we had everything we needed upon arrival.

The immediate beach and water in front of the hotel is clear and not too deep and fish will swim around your feet as you enter. After watching a few locals repeatedly snorkel over to the right edge of the beach and into deeper water near the green and white buoys, we realized we had a special location to visit. It is well worth the swim over to this area (use fins)- there is a significant drop in the water (maybe 40-50 feet deep?) with an amazing ledge of coral and fish activity happening on it. We visited this about 3-4 times a day and saw all kinds of things, including sting rays, sea turtles, trunkfish and camouflaging flounders. The water is very clear and despite its depth, makes everything very easy to see. You are not that far of a swim from where you came in and it is easy to get back to waist deep water. This is a popular spot for local families to visit on the weekend, which is a good sign.

The bar gathers a small crowd at night (no food, just drinks) and the bartenders are good at taking care of everyone. They have good suggestions on what to see if you have any questions and will let you borrow the bug spray if you need it. Wifi is spotty here but leave your work at home if you can! If you are adaptable and patient with the parts that are currently shut down at Hotel on the Cay, you’ll have a great stay. We would come back for sure. Within a day we felt like we had been there for longer.

Ps, don’t count on gas stations being open near the airport upon rental return- Hurricane Maria shut many of them down. We eventually found one on Route 70 beyond the Sunshine Mall, but it took a little longer than expected (not totally awesome when aiming to make an 8am flight home). Even after driving most of the island, we really only used about a quarter of a tank of gas. It was still worth it to rent a car.

Room tip: AC is loud but works well, close the sliding doors to avoid mosquitos.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank cpday2019
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

My family and I were excited for our stay on St. Croix! When we pulled up to the ferry and saw the hotel on the little island, we thought we had made a good choice. However, when we arrived we soon realized we were wrong. The hotel staff was so rude. We asked the front desk for an extra towel after we checked in. The two girls working the desk barely responded and the one finally rolled her eyes and got up. She got the towel but curtly told us to next time get one off of the housekeepers cart. Ok...not a big deal but she could have been nicer about it. Each time we came in the front office, the girls barely spoke to us or gave us the time of day.

We knew it was a smaller hotel, and not luxury by any means. We were fine with that. But the lack of amenities was just ridiculous. We tried to rent a paddle board on property. The woman who answered the phone on Friday told my husband she “wasn’t coming to work today because she was hanging out.” Ok...nice. We weren’t able to rent paddle board or kayaks the entire time because she was never at work! We also were handed umbrellas the first two days without being charged. The one nice guy who actually worked there offered to put them up for us with no questions. My husband went out the third day and a different guy told him it was $10. You can’t go changing your policy midway through someone’s stay?!

NO WHERE on the website when we booked did it say that the restaurant was closed due to the hurricane. If I had dug deep and read reviews I probably could have figured that out. But websites need to reflect the status of your business. The pictures with the flowers and terrace you see on main page- not open. Parts of hotel were a mess.

The location is beautiful. We did enjoy the beach. But the customer service here was just really awful. I will never go back.

The ferry guys were nice. Most of them. If this place had a different owners and staff, it could be really nice. Even without updates. None of our group was expecting fancy...just nice and clean and friendly.

Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank travlgirl802
HotelOnTheCay, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on the Cay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2018

Hello Travlgirl802,
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to read that your experience did not meet your expectations. We are investigating your interaction with our hotel staff and apologize in advance for any miscommunication. We do wish to address your other concerns:
1. The water sport equipment rental is independent of the hotel. You may wish to post a separate review to their page.
2. On our official website, there is a bright orange box that was placed right next to the reservations function since November 2017 that explains hotel updates including the fact that the restaurant has been closed due to the hurricanes.
Nonetheless we appreciate your feedback so that we can continue to make improvements. We wish you the best in your local travels!