1,704 results
All reviews mermaid beach golf course mermaid restaurant terrace restaurant great house grotto pool ocean front whistle beach the main house buck island st croix breakfast buffet main beach concierge desk oceanfront room tennis courts rum punch
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have been to St. Croix before, but this has been my best experience. Upon arrival we greeted in a very friendly manner. Our rooms were clean and neat. We were surprised that our ocean view was actually ocean front, and added bonus. The wifi in our room worked well

The daily breakfast that was included was great. My kids loved the food and it was nice not to worry about what we would do for the first meal of the day. We ate at the Mermaid twice and were happy with both experiences.

Having easy access to the beach and pool were an added bonus as I traveled with my mother and small children. We did have a rental car, but it was easier with all 6 of us to use the beach located at the hotel. At the beach there were plenty of towels, beach chairs and beach equipment available.

The housekeeping staff was very friendly and helpful. As we have children we did use the laundry facility that was near our room and it was available and easy to use. I did a little shopping at the stores on site and the ladies at each shop were friendly and helpful.

I will definitely be staying here again as it was such a wonderful experience.

1  Thank lisagG8355GW
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

First, be prepared for a $49/day Energy Fee plus $55/day in taxes. This added over $700 to our stay. Taxes we understand, but we certainly weren't using $49/day in energy.

Our view was beautiful and the staff they had was very friendly, but they need more staff. It was not uncommon to wait an hour or more for food or drinks. At times, we were literally unable to see a single employee while on the beach near the Mermaid Restaurant. We were told by our cab driver that he consistently hears this complaint about the Buccaneer. They were given Covid relief money to keep staff but let the staff go anyway. Once you're on-site, you have no way to get food or drinks (unless you pay for a cab) other than to wait however long it takes...

We went with two other couples. One couple had no hot water and their sink backed up. They literally had to shower in ice-cold water. The other couple's television went in and out. These issues were fixed when brought to the management's attention, but it shouldn't have happened at all at the rates we paid.

Our room was on the side of the Great House. The view was amazing but there is a giant generator or some sort of machinery off to the side. We couldn't sit on the deck and enjoy the view because of the noise of the machines. We had to keep the door shut to the deck to avoid it. If you go, make sure to ask for a room on the front of the Great House. Our friends paid the same rate but had rooms on the front with no noise from the machines.

It's a beautiful setting and the staff is friendly and helpful, but the owners need to invest in the property to make it worth the cost.

Room tip: Avoid rooms on the side of the Great House.
2  Thank HelynS19382
Reviewed 9 April 2021 via mobile

This was our first to St. Croix and choosing to stay at the Buccaneer was a very wise decision. The concierge was so extremely helpful in planning our trip and recommending the Explore and Relaxation package. The Family suite and attention to detail was incredible. We LOVED the view from the room and the welcome letters, Happy Birthday messages to my wife and son and Easter baskets for the kids was such a nice touch.

Sunsets on the Grotto Beach will be etched onto our memories forever.

I appreciate the concierge recommending the Hamilton restaurant for my wife's birthday, it was fantastic.

My son got to discover scuba diving which was really special.. The Mermaid manager was such a nice accommodating gentleman and the bartender at Beauregards was so nice.  Phyllis serving breakfast was always very kind.

We highly recommend the Buccaneer and can't wait for our next visit.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank 281richardz
Reviewed 6 April 2021

This was our first visit to St Croix and it won't be our last. I have vacationed at a handful of Caribbean islands and our experience here was the best. That was due to our stay at this resort. We had arranged the vacation through AAA and got a cut rate equivalent to Tripadvisor and was expecting a standard room in the large Great House on top of the hill, which is nice, but not down near the ocean. However when we arrived they upgraded our room and put us in a room you see pictured here as advertised. It was spacious and beautiful, but was it really clean?That is important in this day of COVID concerns. I brought a UV light and went over it all with no detection of any unseen spots. We were provided with a large bathroom and 5 star amenities including wonderful towels and robes, in addition to the traditional basket of snacks and drinks. The room also had a refrigerator, coffee maker and you could request a microwave.

If you bother to read the many reviews on this site you will see some common observations. First is how well the grounds and facility are maintained. They truly are beautiful. This gives the appearance of a five star resort. Second is the service of the staff. They were very helpful to our every request and always friendly.
Almost every review says something about the delicious breakfast that is part of your stay and served in the Terrace restaurant in the main building on the hill. Yes, it's a hike very morning, but the view is worth it. My wife twisted her knee the day before we left Ohio so we drove our car up the first few days and found easy parking, but you can also take a service vehicle if you need it. We are in our 70s and found the walk refreshing. The main restaurant, the Mermaid, is on the beach and you couldn't find a more beautiful venue. The food was delicious and we were prepared for a slower island time service, which we really didn't notice due to how beautiful our surroundings were. We dined at 4 different restaurants on the island but kept coming back to the Mermaid as the best, and their prices were quite reasonable and inline with their competition.
There are three beaches at the Buccaneer. We enjoyed all three, but the one at the Mermaid had all the amenities you could possibly desire.
The resort is located about 9 minutes from Christiansted, which makes it convenient for those who like to shop. The city is large enough to have most things you could want, but what surprised me was the large amount of local talent. Artists who have their work in large museums and even the White House. What is available here is the opposite of what you find in Frederiksted at the other end of the island where the cruise ships dock. I picked up jewelry and leather work for the family back home that was unique, beautiful and locally made. The gifts were well received much better than the traditional t-shirt. There are also many things you can do there including tours, sailing, parasailing, diving, snorkeling, jet skiing, almost anything you can think of to do on or in the water.

The only negative we experienced was driving. The islands are the only place in the US that you drive on the left. It took both of us to stay on our toes to keep out of trouble. That combined with the poor condition most roads were in (it was impossible to drive straight due to potholes) and that street and route signs were considered optional, we would never have made it around the island without the service we got from our phones. However, as small as the island is, WiFi is spotty at times.
Another problem is at the airport. It is in the middle of a major renovation. When they tell you to be there 3 hours before you board, you need to follow their advice.
We were also surprised to find that most car rentals there would not take our debit cards and ended up paying almost twice what we reserved one for in order to use them.

I found it ironic that I hadn't even heard of St Croix until a family member recommended it. After we got home we found a dozen people who had been there and everyone had a great experience. If you are going, the Buccaneer is the place to stay. This was a great experience and we plan to go back some day.

Date of stay: March 2021
2  Thank williambI2196WC
Reviewed 2 April 2021 via mobile

My husband and I eloped to St. Croix at The Buccaneer. I can’t recommend the staff their enough. From our wedding planner, the servers, the concierge- everyone was so kind, and made everything so easy. Shout out to Nadia, Erin, Mayra! You won’t be disappointed in your stay here. The beaches on the resort are beautiful and easy access. The food is delicious! We can’t wait to come back to St. Croix!

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Algaelynn