“My experience in St. Kitts”
Review of St. Kitts

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Oklahoma City
6 helpful votes
“My experience in St. Kitts”
Reviewed 19 June 2007

The beaches have white sand and plenty of bars and resturants.
Ziggys place on the beach in Frieget Bay, is one of the best Resturant/Bars, postioned about 50 ft from the water. The water is warm and blue. There is also Turtle Beach, a short distance from Freiget Bay. Some of the sites to see is Brimstone Hill, an old fort build by slave labor when the Brittish and French occupied the island. The island is approximately 65 miles in diameter with 34,000 residents. The rain forrest walk is great if you like to walk and do a little climbing. The island has four large resorts on it with several smaller ones. Plenty of resturants but no Wal-Mart for those who like to shop. All the shops are specialty shops with only one or two types of goods (plastic, lumber, clothes, electronics). The cab drivers are great and are really reasonable on their fares. The two I had contact with the most was Trevone of Trevones taxi service and Roy's taxi service. It is advisable to take a taxi instead of renting a car. They drive on the opposite side of the street as Americans do. The currency is US dollars or EC's (Eastern Carribean dollars) which is 2.69 to one US dollars. The temperature is a constant 85 degrees and it rains one a day for five to fifteen minutes , that is usually the extent of the rain. Nevis is across the bay with access by Ferry.

6 Thank Ranger448
Frigate Bay
10 helpful votes
“Saint Kitts tips!”
Reviewed 3 June 2007

As a student at the Veterinary school here on Saint Kitts, I actually LIVE on the island, so I thought I'd give a few tips to those who are coming here! The Marriot is a verrrryy nice place to be, from what I've seen. I go there often for dinner, coffee, etc. It's nice to get an american-feel but still be in the Caribbean. The food at the Marriot is pretty good, a little to "american-ized", but for me thats a nice plus since I dont get to go home often. If you would like a taste of the island, I recommend the Sunset Cafe over by Timothy Beach (where's shiggidy shack and the beach bars are). Service is relatively slow, but you can expect that everywhere on this island. I know it can be annoying, but thats the lifestyle here, and its a nice relaxing change. I just recommend asking for beverages well in advance if you think your going to be running out, and ask for the check early.

Other restaurants I recommend is Chao, its an italian restaurant right down the street from the marriot. Pretty authentic, service is once again somewhat slow, but the food is really good.

Jambos - after the first round about on the right. Very good seafood/mexican-type orientated food. Prices are reasonable, and I really enjoy every time I go there.

Frigate bay resort has a restaurant in it called Jasmines. It's a little fancier, food is a bit more expensive, but very good!!

If your looking for some fun nightlife, Ziggys is the place to be. Friday afternoons/evenings are one of the best nights to go there. However, most of the veterinary students/nursing students are there so if you want somewhere quiter or low key this is not the place. Drinks are reasonably priced here also.

Wednesday night alot of people go to Sugars, which is a bar/casino (slots) and pool tables and all that fun stuff.

I highly recommend snorkeling on the reefs here in Saint Kitts. They are beauiful!! Especially right out by the marriot beach. I've seen alot of really cool fish/sea turtles/sting rays etc. Definately one of my most favorite things to do on the island.

All in all saint kitts and the Marriot are very nice places to be. Just come here with relaxation and the idea of taking things slow and you should be fine. Try not to get upset with slow service, your on vacation - enjoy the change of pace!!! =)

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank stkittstudent
Michigan
4 helpful votes
“Paradise Island”
Reviewed 8 May 2007

St. Kitts is a lovely island to visit, lots of greenery, monkeys, cows, goats and even chickens in downtown area. I stayed at Timothy Beach, room was very nice with ocean view. Beach Bars and wonderful, some do not close until last customer is gone. Taxi driver Roosevelt Taylor is a gem to the island, always there on time to pick you up. Lovely place to take a relaxing vacation.

4 Thank Nice7
McLean, Virginia
45 helpful votes
“Christmas in St. Kitts”
Reviewed 5 February 2007

My husband, sons (21, 17, 15) and I spent a week in St. Kitts from December 22 until December 29th and had a wonderful time. Here are some tips.
We rented a villa. Easy to do by going to [--]. For a family who would otherwise have to book 2 rooms at least to accomodate our family, it made so much more sense. We had a kitchen to make breakfast and sometimes lunch and saved $$$ and avoided the endless looking-for-meals loop.
St. Kitts is an island in the process of changing. The sugar cane industry only ended 2 years ago. They have only begun to shift to ecotourism and it shows. Kittitians aren't overly friendly, but on the other hand, there is no hustling, either. We felt safe wherever we went on the island and we pretty much went everywhere. The poverty rate is high -- 30 percent -- and the government is corrupt. There is a lot of land going to foreign developers rather than local developers, which doesn't bode well for the future.
That said, enjoy the island while it's still relatively undeveloped and still has aspects of the old Caribbean.
We stayed in a villa on a hill on Frigate Bay looking out over the Caribbean towards Nevis. Breathtaking views. At this part of the island, the Atlantic side and the Caribbean side are only about a 10 minute walk apart, and so you have a choice of either type of beach -- windy or calm.
The Marriott is the biggest hotel on the island, and it is BIG. Their beach has imported white sand, chairs, and palapa huts. Even if you don't stay at the Marriott, they are welcoming. You can use the beach, the pool, have drinks at the beach bar, play in the casino, and take advantage of the tourism adventure trips -- such as rain forest hike, volcano climb, etc. There's a desk in the front lobby where you can sign up. Not a problem at all if you aren't staying there.
The only time we had a problem using the beach was the day a cruise ship boat pulled in and they weren't allowing anyone who wasn't staying at the Marriott to use the beach, so the kids just entered the beach further down, instead of through the lobby. There are some locals on the beach who will approach you and ask if you'd like to have your feet massaged with aloe. If you don't want that, be firm, they will go away.
But don't stick to the Marriott, beachwise. Wherever you stay, rent a car and explore.
At the southern tip of the island are beautiful beaches, some with bustling beach shacks, some absolutely empty. Turtle Beach has a nice beach shack with monkeys, a big pig and decent food. Cockleshell Beach is usually empty, has no beach shack, but it's on the Caribbean side and calm, warm and beautiful for swiming. Sundown Beach is also on the Caribbean side and has a very welcoming bare bones beach bar, nice to watch the sun go down here.
Timothy Beach is the most built up with a string of beach bars/restaurants, shacks. The first being Mr. X's Shiggety Shack. Lively and touristy. Everyone from the Marriott and some of the smaller places to stay at this end of the island goes here. Not for the locals. But they have a bonfire on Thursday nights which our boys really liked a lot. The Monkey Bar was nice, with a friendly owner.
Spend a day driving around the island. Definitely visit Fort Brimstone. It's an amazing fort built on a volcanic butte. The views -- to Saba and St. Eustatious -- are beautiful. The Golden Lemon is a lovely place to eat -- not so sure about staying there as it's pretty remote -- at the northern tip of the island where the Atlantic and Caribbean meet. We had lunch there on Christmas Eve day and the food was delicious, the service attentive and friendly and even the 3 older boys were charmed. The beach is very interesting. Black sand. When wet, it is viscous. The kids had a good rubdown with it.
Around the other side of the island is Ottley Plantation. We had Christmas Eve dinner there and it was even nicer than we expected. Delicious food, friendly, spot-on service, beautiful setting, and hugs and merry christmas's for all of us on our way out. We were raving about it for days. If you go there at night, make sure you return during the day to view the grounds. Spectacular.
Okay. Christmas season in St. Kitts is also Carnival season. The day after Christmas is J'ouvert. (pronounced "joovay") This is when the capital of St. Kitts -- Basse Terre -- fills up with everyone, drinking rum, and dancing to calypso music blasting from flat bed trucks being pulled around the town squares' by tractors. It is the most fun I've had since I went to punk clubs in the 70s. Seriously. We started the day -- Boxing Day, December 26th -- at the Ballyhoo. Someone we met at a local bar told us that the thing to do was to go to the Ballyhoo, a bar/restaurant that's located on the Circus, one of the traffic circles, and sit on the balcony and order breakfast and a beer. We arrived at 7:30 and did just that and watched as the trucks came through. Then we went down into the crowd and danced. Everyone was friendly, welcoming, happy to see us there, even though, as tourists, we were very much in the minority. I danced by myself, and some of the locals, for a while. We saw very few other tourists. My husband and I and our youngest left after a while and our older boys stayed for quite a while longer. When we picked them up later they told us they'd gone back to the Ballyhoo after dancing and standing in the hose spray for a while -- one street was blocked off for spray down! -- and spent time talking to a young woman who worked for the Peace Corps in St. Kitts. Sincemy oldest is thinking of doing the same, it was a great meeting for him.
Let's see, what else? Other restaurants. I'm disappointed we didn't get to go to Marshall's or Sprat Net -- which is just north of Basseterre, which is supposed to be a very good local seafood restaurant. It looks like a shack, don't be put off.
We took some great tours with O'Neill via the Marriott. A rainforest hike and a plantation/sugar cane history tour. The two younger boys climbed the volcano and raved about it.
Only regret is that we didn't stay through January 2nd. We could have gone to Nevis for the horse race, and BasseTerre for "last lap," which is the end of the Carnival and is basically just another j'ouvert.
It helped very much that we were staying in a villa owned by a local family and they were able to give us great advice about where to go.
Also -- food is very expensive on the island. If you are going to stay at a villa, ship food down with you. You can box items up and check them with your luggage. You will save lots of money that way. We shipped down a turkey (in a thermal pack with some ice packs) for Christmas day dinner and it was still frozen by the time we arrived.
Also -- there is nothing like driving around listening to Christmas Carols in calypso.
I think all of us agreed that it was a Christmas we will never forget, maybe one of our best Christmas's ever, and we would go back again in a heart beat. I had been to Nevis before -- and visited for a day this time around -- and enjoyed it, but St. Kitts at Carnival time is an awesome thing.

27 Thank pouillyfume1952
Charlotte
13 helpful votes
“Gorgeous Mariott and Island”
Reviewed 7 May 2006

Returned last night from a week at the Marriott St. Kitts. First I will talk about the hotel and then the Island. We have stayed at a lot of Marriott's all over the world. This property is beautiful and immaculate. They were always cleaning and landscaping. They gave us a garden ocean suite with an ocean view, although I heard from others there on special occasions who couldn't get upgraded. Our rooms were always cleaned in a timely manner with good service. There is the main pool with hundreds of pool chairs. If you feel this is too crowded there are 2 large quieter pools. We liked the action, music and pool bar at the main pool. On the beach there are 98 professionally roofed cabanas. Even if it rains you don't get wet. We felt the men on the island were very friendly. But in our opinion the women are very serious and reserved. I think I would have tipped them more if they were friendly. We did not do the all inclusive and talked with others who got tired of it after several days. We ate at LaCunia (Italian) it was good, not great. We would return to the Marriott again, just wish the women were more friendly. Now for the outside dining we did: Island Spice was OK, went to Rawlins plantation for the West Indies lunch it was delicious, they were very friendly and the grounds simply beautiful. Bobsey's fun atmosphere. Our favorites were Marshall's (ate there twice), it was superb. And for a no frills isand experience, we loved Mr. X's Shiggity shack. A whole lobster $20, and some of the best red snapper we've ever had $18. A great island experience. Monkey bar is great for drinks but being next door to Mr. X they are more expensive and much smaller portions. We asked if they could substitute the french fries and they gave us pasta. On our bill they charged $8 for the substitution!!!! We almost died. Turtle Beach food was good but also pricey for lunch. Now for the beaches: I felt the Marriott beach is very nice. Even with the Atlantic Ocean the water was calm and clear. People have talked about walking over to Frigate Bay Resort for the Carribean side. I didn't feel like it was much nicer. A lot of seaweed, also at Turtle Beach (yes the annoying tractor was there cleaning up the seaweed. The Taxi ride is $20 each way. Beach not a lot nicer than the others but whiter sand. But don't go to St. Kitts for the sand. There are lots better places. But seeing the monkeys at Turtle Beach is fun, views of Nevis great. Our favorite was Friar's beach. If you are very athletic run up the big hill or power walk and then wind down the mountain to the beach. You will see unbelievable views and we saw lots of wild monkeys along the way. A definite don't miss is the catarmaran tour to Nevis. We went with Blue Water they were very funny and entertaining. Lots of food and drink. I would probably do it 2 times if I could. Did the Island tour with our taxi driver Leroy. Cheaper than with the tours. He charged $120 for 5 hours and waited while we ate at Rawlins. But another couple said they paid $60 for 4 hours. So shop around. Also don't go to St. Kitts for the shopping, not much there. The Marriott stores are nice but very pricey!! We really enjoyed St. Kitts and would go again, but go soon!!!! Lots of condo and hotels to be built in the next year.

5 Thank 4petsl

Been to St. Kitts? Share your experiences!