All reviews wine hour social hour grand cayman beach restaurant fitness classes ocean view turn down service paddle boards calico jacks main restaurant tostada the ritz bottle of champagne beautiful property cayman islands every staff member moment you arrive
Reviewed 14 December 2016 via mobile

We only checked in last evening but want to give a quick little review. Our check in with Kierhan was fast friendly and perfect. He explained the hospitality hour and the different restaurants and answered our questions perfectly. Before arriving I asked for a room on a high floor and a coffee machine in the room. Done! Without asking again. We headed up to our gorgeous room, unpacked and went to the bar on the beach for a quick delicious snack of fish tacos and a couple drinks. We were given the wrong check but apologies were made and everyone very friendly. We are on the ninth floor in a king suite. Bathroom is gorgeous with double vanity separate toilet area, and a wonderful tub shower combination. We had plenty of water pressure last evening. We also have a small kitchen area with stovetop refrigerated drawers, microwave and cooking and eating dishes and utensils. Writing this review on my deck as the sun comes up. Here we go Seafire ! Can't wait for the upcoming week!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank KSFRANCE
Reviewed 13 December 2016 via mobile

The newly opened Kimpton Seafire Resort has really raised the bar for vacationing in the Cayman Islands - stunning design, friendly honest service and amazing attention to detail. I stayed first with my husband and then with a group of girls and both times we were treated to very thoughtful personal touches such as champagne and a card in the room to Birthday cake. The rooms are spacious, modern and just gorgeous.

The Ave/Avecita restaurant is very popular which makes getting a reservation tricky. However servers like Joe Hughes went above and beyond to fit us in and ensure we had a great experience. The food and dining experience is really worth the price tag. Cocoloba is a newly revamped Mexican beachside restaurant hosts super stylish dining for a Sunday lunch or happy hour cocktail. The beach loungers are fantastic but service is very much island style so don't go thirsty!

The spa is the first of its kind on island being a Hamman spa. It is stunning. We enjoyed a couples massage and Yvette made sure we had everything we needed. It's priced high (think Ritz prices) but totally worth it for the experience. The Moroccan tiling and outdoor mixed jacuzzi are beautiful!

From free morning coffee to free happy hour wine, the Kimpton provides such a thoughtful service and it certainly wasn't wasted on us! We'll be back again soon - we'll try hold off til the new year!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
SPAatSeafire, General Manager at Kimpton Seafire Resort + Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2016

Hello Sophie P!

So glad you enjoyed your time with us! Our team has been having lot's of fun with the extra amenities and please know they will be excited to see you enjoyed yours. 2 stays already is fantastic! Thank you and we look forward to having you back with us.

Cheers,
SPA

Reviewed 13 December 2016

Back to Cayman last week and decided to spend our first weekend in a brand new hotel, the Seafire on Seven Mile Beach.

This is a brand new property that just opened in November 2016 so about 3 weeks old at time of review. Of course everything is new and shiny! A modern hotel with some nice amenities and furnishings. Lots of nooks with seating outside so you can always find a good place to sit, visit. Enjoy the views and sip on wine.

Speaking of wine… we appreciated the wine happy hour from 5-6 pm every night. Also appreciated friendly staff at almost every encounter, (actually everyone except hostess at Ava restaurant on Friday night who was a bit bewildered and bedazzled … overstaffed and under trained but sure kinks will be worked out as time goes by). Shout out to Johnny who was working pool bar first night and again during the day around pool. Great guy who was hell-bent on pleasing guests!

Our guest room was great with super lighting package options, large bathroom and great patio area with comfy seating. Bed was just OK and not that comfortable. Can’t blame it on being an old resort, so maybe just not a great choice of brand or quality? Back hurt each morning, but then again I am getting old so go figure.

We did try out room service breakfast one time to get coffee, as there are no coffee pots in guest rooms, (bummer). Room service pot of coffee was great as was the Berry Parfait, (outstanding actually). Pasty Board was terrible and we could not eat most of what was provided. How do you ruin a croissant? I hope this was a frozen and thawed deal, as it would have been impossible for any of this to have been made by a real chef in a real kitchen)!

Guest room had a VERY well stocked minibar plus lots of snacks to buy.

During our weekend, we did not appreciate guests with dogs. It’s just about impossible that guests arriving from out of country were bringing dogs due to the very strict importation requirements. Must have been locals. I have very rarely seen dogs in any of the good hotels on Seven Mile Beach, so this must have just been a quirky local thing that they can stay with dogs? I guess it does give the staff some practice but certainly does not set the tone for real visitors to Cayman. My wife had a pedicure on the Sunday, another guest was in the Spa with a dog and the stupid thing started licking my wife’s feet. Really? Don’t get me wrong … we have a big dog at home that we love, but would never consider forcing her on hotel resort guests at any time. Sure hope this stupid dog concept changes in the future.

Also did not appreciate all of the feral chickens running around the resort. Dragging out mulch from planting areas, jumping on furniture, pooping on the sidewalks and generally being a nuisance. Not two or three mind you but dozens everywhere. I did not come to the Cayman Islands to relive my farming days back in Iowa!

Food venues were unexceptional. CocoLobo is on the beach. I had a hamburger that had a strange flavor. My wife had the beef tostados, which was too greasy and too salty to eat. When she mentioned this to the server it was immediately taken off our bill, but we did not choose to order anything else.

We did finally succeed in getting reservations in Ava, which appears to be their fine dine Mediterranean restaurant. Food was good but nothing spectacular for the price. Places like Pappagallos in West Bay are way better on every count and a very good price value as well. Again, maybe Ava will improve as time goes along, as it has only been open for a few weeks.

Great views from the hotel, I’d recommend you ask for one on a higher floor, nice pool area and of course you can’t beat beach views. It was a bit weird however as there are two public beaches on either side of the Seafire, next to Calico Jacks Bar and Grill, (South) and Tiki Beach Bar and Grill, (North). There was one cruise ship in, and we saw cruise ship guests bused in and spilling over from Calico Jacks on to the Seafire beach. No clue what would have happened if the hotel had been full or there were more ships coming to island.

All in all, a very good hotel with a location not as good as other resorts on Seven Mile Beach due to tight quarters and public beach cruise ship tourists. That said, we will try this hotel again in 6-12 months, or at least check out the resort and eat in one of the restaurants again to give them another try. We also want to confirm that dogs and chickens have been respectively vacated or eaten!

Room tip: Get a high floor room for best views.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Applenose

Thank you for the review and feedback on the property. We have had a lot of locals checking us out during the first few weeks and that is certainly where the majority of dogs have come from. We have addressed the local feathered friends as well since you stayed with us and am certain you will see a different environment on your next stay.

I do want to apologize about the issue you had with the quality of the food at the property. Please know we do have some great chefs on board with us and they will continue to work on their recipes and techniques until each guest has an incredible dining experience.

Please do let me know when you are planning on returning to Grand Cayman so I can ensure we give you a little extra incentive to stay with us and try our restaurants.

Warm regards,
SPA

Reviewed 12 December 2016

Just spent a long weekend at this new resort and only have the best to say about it. From the amenities to the service (in every division) it offered an excellent experience. The restaurants and coffee shop offered delicious fare, the views are amazing. Beach walking and exploring is highly recommended.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

Thank you for the kind words and can't wait to have you back with us for another long weekend!

Warm regards,
Steven

Reviewed 12 December 2016

The hotel grounds are beautiful, and the staff is very helpful. However, the check in desk needs some work. This might be partially my fault by assuming that my check in would be correct (I never asked any questions) but it wasn't and after checking in I realized the girls never went over my reservation, and when I got to my room it was the incorrect room and by that point they claimed there were no other rooms available to check into. I didn't want to waste time arguing so I settled for a CRAPY view. It then dawned on me the next morning they never gave a map of the grounds so we had no idea where any of the restaurants/bars/amenities were, another fail on their part but whatever. The food was actually amazing!! We ate breakfast every morning in Ave out on the deck and had lunch everyday out back on the water at coccoloba bar whichever was great as well. Didn't dine here for dinner because there are top notch restaurants on the island that we wanted to experience. Overall, take advantage of this place while the rates are still cheap, construction is going on in the tower next door so it's still under construction but I wouldn't bother paying a ton of money when the rates take a turn. My biggest dislike was there are way too many suits!!!! I felt like I was back at home working in my office, very uncomfortsble when your on vacation and want to be a beach bum in your bathingsuit and you having breakfast with corporate America. That was the whole reason of going on vacation- to get away from work!

Room tip: Get ocean view top floor or you will get stuck with the garbage we had!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple