All reviews outdoor kitchen beach front mango beautiful beach car rental great snorkeling right beachfront villa snorkeling gear rock cafe daily housekeeping exploring the island we loved our stay palm trees spent a week dream come true a great vacation other islands
Reviewed 13 August 2010

We stayed in the two bedroom beachfront unit. I do recommend this place highly but I will give you some tips so there are no surprises. Suffice it to say that the property is wonderful, the beach location spectacular. There were many, many pelicans right in front of our villa diving for fish. The sunsets were perfectly aligned to give you a spectacular show each evening. Okay, here's the skinny on the "heads up" stuff. You need a car or you're stuck. You aren't walking anywhere from here. There is no restaurant onsite and don't expect to find room service or food delivery. You are at a villa with a kitchen after all. Most everyone staying here is here to enjoy the laid back atmosphere, relax and enjoying cooking in the evenings. You'll probably want to explore the island. I suggest taking the ferry to The Bitter End, have lunch at Little Dix Bay, have dinner at The Rocks, spend a day at the Baths (PLEASE go when the cruise ships aren't in or you will not appreciate the beauty of this place. You'll be on a beach with 100 people in line to go through like Disney World. Check the schedules of Tortola and St. Thomas first or go in the late afternoon when they have all left). The rooms are what you expect from a beach hotel - basic. Think IKEA meets the beach. But everything is in good shape so no worries there. The beds are very firm bordering on hard so if you are used to a" heavenly bed", be prepared. The pillows could stand improvement as well - foam rubber and again, very firm. The bathrooms have soap and nice towels but SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER IS NOT PROVIDED (I capitalized that because these days with liquids limited, you expect all hotels to provide this basic amenity so don't want you to be surprised). There is a hairdryer. The a/c units are wall units in the bedrooms only. We found by opening all the windows we had a nice breeze (even in August). But the a/c is critical to have at night. Our unit had an outdoor kitchen. The awkward thing about this was that everything was outdoors except the refrigerator. So a bowl of cereal meant getting the bowls and spoons from one place and the milk from another. Not a big deal, but imagine cooking in your own kitchen if the refrigerator was outside your back door.Also there are charcoal grills at each unit but charcoal and lighter fluid is not provided so you would need to stop at Bucks near the ferry before going to the hotel. The best snorkeling in the BVI is outside your door but be cautious. The reef is literally in 4 feet of water 10 feet from shore so if you are not snorkeling, you can easily walk out and be standing on a coral reef. I would have liked to have seen some more caution signs about not touching the reef because you will kill it but there were none. I'm not sure everyone is aware that if you touch coral, it's dead forever. Or perhaps the management could provide that caution to guests when checking in. There was ALOT of dead coral out there. A little environmental protection policy would help. Now for the fly issue. We were covered in them. So many that we actually could not sit outside on our beautiful porch right on the beach. Oddly not one mosquito. I don't know if this is an everyday occurrance or if we were just there in "fly season" but it was BAD. Our neighbors had the same problem. We walked around the resort and realized the flies were everywhere. Seemed everyone we spoke to had gone to Bucks and bought fly spray (It doesn't help so don't bother). Again, could have just been the time of year, I would read other reviews to see if this is an ongoing issue. It also would be a nice touch if the resort provided citronella candles for each room. It might not help, but it wouldn't hurt. Also, flashlights would have been nice to have. Not that there is anyplace to go at night but on the off chance there was a power outage, one flashlight provided in each room would be nice to have. I know Bitter End and Little Dix Bay provide shampoo and conditioner, citronella candles and flashlights. But these are just little nice to have items. I highly recommend using their free kayaks to go to Savana Beach. It's an easy 10 minute kayak. You will be asked to please place the kayaks back over the wall when done but no one did while we were there but us. I suspect it's because they are HEAVY and hard to lift. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any staff who comes down in the evening to lift them so they were all still sitting on the beach. Don't expect to lock your unit. First, you aren't given keys. Secondly, one of our bedroom doors didn't lock anyway. I think there was a safe in the hall closet but we didn't use it. I think the property is safe and I certainly never felt otherwise, however there isn't a security guard or anything like that on property. Again, just letting you know so there are no surprises if you are the non-trusting type and expect to be able to lock yourself in at night or when you are out. There are also several rental villas down the beach. Pretty high end villas so you certainly aren't in with the riff raff. Mango Bay also has 3 of the most stunning villas I've ever seen. If you can afford one of these (which I think go for quite a bit of money), you'd be in heaven. Don't expect a pool, there isn't one. But each unit has an outdoor shower and you really shouldn't be going to a resort located directly on the beach if you are a true pool person anyway. My recommendation for the BEST unit. The one bedroom beachfront on the very end closest to the Mango Bay villas. It was the unit connected to ours. It has an indoor kitchen and a huge wrap around porch. Also complete privacy as the side faces a villa with a wall and shrubs. It's also at the end of the beach so no one really has any reason to walk in front of your unit. Enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank misssaintsomewhere
Reviewed 24 July 2010

This was a wonderful resort on a beautiful beach in the heart of Virgin Gorda. Our accommodations were stellar as was the staff at the resort. If you like a quiet, low key, affordable vacation spot, these villas are for you! Their package deals are fabulous!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We looked all over VG for somewhere to stay and had so many reviews and recommendations... we ended up driving to a couple of places and making the call last minute but so glad we chose Mango Bay.

The setting is stunning - when you drive over the hill and see Savannah Bay for the 1st time you'll be glad you chose this resort over one near Spanish Town.

Beautiful beach, crystal clear water with kayaking and snorkelling right off the beach.

We had the ocean view studio and it was lovely - the photos really do not do it justice. The resort is incredibly well managed and the attention to detail is superb... everything is clean, well maintained and cared for and Gino is really helpful and accommodating.

Not usually one for tourist traps but the baths are fabulous - the highlight was defintely the walk through the boulders to devils bay and a swim in the most beautiful water I have ever seen!

We only spent 3 nights in VG (1 at the start in Fishers cove and 2 at the end in Mango Bay) but fell in love with it...so much so that we're coming back next year for 2 weeks.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank antigua-jane
Reviewed 15 June 2010

My husband and I spent 7 days and 8 nights at Mango Bay. Gino and Fellina were wonderfully kind and helpful. Our room was impeccably clean when we arrived. It was stocked with everything we'd requested and more, which was nice! I think our room was cleaned twice daily because we were always receiving clean towels, and the staff was tending to our room -- which was amazing!

I don't know if it was the date range we chose, but we had the place almost completely to ourselves, which was UNREAL!!! Mango Bay's beach, snorkeling, atmosphere, everything really, is just unreal. We felt like we were staying in our own private villa. The stars were sensational, the scenery was unforgettable, and the weather cooperated as if we'd planned it.

We went on two charters with Double D Charters out of Virgin Gorda Yacht Club, and we HIGHLY recommend it!! Our dinner (with our package through Mango Bay) at the Rock Cafe in Spanish Town was very very good.

Virgin Gorda and Mango Bay will forever be in our hearts. We cannot wait to return!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FELSmith
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Our group of travelers consisted of four moms on a nice getaway and we couldn't have picked a better place than Mango Bay to stay! Gino and Paulina were wonderful in helping us set up taxi and ferry rides and our car rental with L& S. We stayed in the Garden View room # 3 which was at most a 30 second walk to the beach. We felt completely safe at Mango Bay. The room was wonderful and very clean and recently remodeled. The bathroom had a tile shower, whirlpool and a hairdryer was provided. There was an outside grill which we used a few times, a microwave, a toaster oven and stovetop inside. We ate at The Mineshaft Cafe on Tuesday night for BBQ buffet and it was great. We thought the Rock Cafe was overpriced for the food we received and The Bath and Turtle down by the Spanish town marina was also a great place to eat and had good mixed drinks. We got our groceries at Buck's and Rosie's and thought Rosie's was cleaner and better organized. DO NOT miss The Bathes if you are on Virgin Gorda, they were stunning and we were there on a Monday and Tuesday afternoon and neither times were that busy. There is a nice bar called Poor Man's at the entrance to The Bathes and a great little conch shell jewelry shop on the path down to the bathes. Snorkeling was great at Mahoe Bay and Spring Bay and we were the only ones there a lot of the time. We took the kayaks provided over to Savanah Bay which was a short ride and well worth it. Mango Bay is a wonderful place to get away from it all, if you are seeking true peace and seclusion this is the place to go. I plan on returning to Virgin Gorda with my husband and children and we will absolutely stay at Mango Bay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends