“Very good light fare at reasonable prices”
Review of Islands Beach Bar

Islands Beach Bar
Ranked #45 of 156 Restaurants in Tortola
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Reviewed 4 January 2017

I went here for lunch twice while staying at the sugar mill. Beachside seating. Beautiful view of the ocean while enjoying a drink or a meal. I went both times while I was at the hotel beach. I had good fish and chips with a side salad. Another time I had battered fish tacos in corn tortillas along with a side salad. Both meals were under $20. Also, they bring out a large tray of extras such as olives, condiments, and beats. Staff was friendly and provided quick and fine service.

Date of visit: May 2016

Reviewed 29 December 2016

Over the years, I have frequented the Islands Beach Bar for lunch many times. The location is probably one of the best that money could buy, if you had enough that is, and is situated on the water’s edge in front of the Sugar Mill hotel to which it is an attractive amenity. On my visits, being a creature of habit, I usually opted for the delectable ribs and a bottle of Domaine St. Andre de Figuiere Cotes de Provence Magli Rose. The service has never been particularly speedy, but it’s never mattered that much as any wait for food was compensated by the view and conversation with friends while imbibing an acceptable bottle of vino. A more satisfactory way to while away a few hours would be difficult to imagine. The staff, who seem to have been there forever, are charming and lovely. But, regretfully, as we all know, good things don’t last forever.

The hotel has been under new ownership for about a year now, and while I understand that general improvements have been made to the property, I have to say the plot has been proverbially lost as far as the running of the beach bar is concerned. Since the new management ‘team’ have been involved I have visited three times. The first time, in the early part of the year, I was disappointed to discover my favourites were no longer on the menu, as was my partner’s fancy; the peanut butter and jelly sandwich from the kid’s selection. We were told that the menu had been revised to “more readily reflect guest requirements”, but obviously not mine. Not good marketing. Anyway, not wishing to be to be churlish we worked around it.

On 27th December, we decided to give the place another try. We arrived around 12.30 and it was at around 75% capacity. We were told to sit anywhere. We found a table and sat down. From observation, it appeared there was adequate staff but after nearly 20 minutes of being ignored we decided to leave. Too much fannying around without dealing with the basics. Also noticed the “missus” was getting needlessly involved with the staff, who seemed to have operated adequately over the years without constant interference, proving a hindrance rather than help.

It always surprises me that restaurants don’t understand that the first rule of the hospitality business is hospitality. Get people to their tables and drinks ordered within 3 minutes. If the establishment is busy, you can buy time if everyone is drinking and talking, but not if they’re staring at a barren plastic table top waiting to be noticed - the place seems to have lost its casual charm; the furniture makes it look like a hospital cafeteria.

Okay, it’s not my business but I would have thought if anyone buys a bar and restaurant they would carry out a little market research into their customer base before making changes that they think the customer should have rather than what the customer actually wants, and why they visit in the first place.

Won’t be returning anytime soon.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed 12 December 2016

I have been here about 6 times. Most recently last spring. A little expensive, but not overly so for a hotel. Usually I have the "whoa mama ribs" and they are hot. Good. But as an extension of the Sugar Mill Hotel across the street, the view alone cannot make this place special. There is some sort of service problem that I cannot pinpoint. Service is generally slow, but almost always,you have to request the condiments they forgot, or extra napkins. A few full tables puts the staff into thoughtless mode. The servers did not check on you to make sure things were good. So nothing really wrong, but nothing really right either. Perfectly good place to check out, but not a favorite. Breakfast across the street at the hotel seems better.

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

Had lunch here recently
3 of the 5 meals ordered came delivered to the table and were not as ordered
Beef burger with cheese when requested ' no cheese' no onions as requested as an extra at 2USD yes 2 dollars!
The burger went back- only to be returned having had the melted cheese scraped off!!
Having pointed out that a diner had a cheese allergy the order was re done but returned with the same sides of fries which were cold
All food is expensive and most dishes are deep fried - portions small
Not value for money

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed 7 August 2016

I have eaten in may beach bars around the world but have yet to find anywhere better than Islands.
I have been here many times during two separate trips to Tortola, staying at the Sugar Mill Hotel.
The food is excellent, with a good selection to choose from, all freshly prepared to order. They serve a mixture of local dishes and dishes with influences from the USA, Europe and the Mediterranean.
The staff are great, they remember what you like from one visit to the next.
But it is the view that really sets this place apart, from the restaurant you have an uninterrupted view of Jost van Dyke and some of the other islands across an azure sea with occasional yachts sailing past.
It's a great place to while away a few hours at lunch time with some top notch food.

Date of visit: May 2016