“Ocean view, comfortable, tasty food, terrible coffee”
Review of Sunset Cafe

Sunset Cafe
Ranked #15 of 70 Restaurants in Grand Case
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 8 August 2016

Let's start with breakfast. The coffee is terrible. They make it in a percolator (hello 1950's!) and then have it sit on a burner in small pots. Need I say more? One day I tried a latte--it was no better. Maybe they didn't really make an espresso shot? In any case, it is difficult for me to enjoy breakfast when the coffee is SO BAD. The tea is better--both iced and hot.

Forgetting the coffee, the croissant and chocolate croissant are divine, the french bread crusty and yummy. For more money than I like to spend (but it's probably typical on the island) you can get yogurt, fruit, eggs, bagels and lox, etc.

Lunch--wonderful salads and other choices. A full restaurant, not just a hotel cafe.

The waitstaff is so rushed at breakfast--I feel sorry for them. They are serving the entire hotel of the Grand Case Beach Hotel, plus outsiders.

It was unclear to me where we could leave a tip....NO tip jar at the bar, no way to leave a tip when charging a meal to the room. And most of us don't carry cash for a day at the beach.

Work on the coffee, people, and this restaurant will get full stars.

Reviewed 2 August 2016

My wife and I had lunch at the Sunset Café in Grand Case. The food was excellent, the price of the food was reasonable, the service was great and the view from the restaurant of the ocean was magnificent.

Reviewed 1 August 2016

We arrived today to the Grand Case Beach Club and decided to have lunch at Sunset Cafe while our room was being prepared for the check in. My husband and I were eager to unwind and set the tone of what would be a romantic and stress free vacation. We were pleased with the beautiful view in spite of the irksome flies. We ordered our drinks and lunch (we were splitting a sandwich) and after half an hour we still did not get our drinks (glass of wine and club soda drink). When we asked our waitress to check on our order, they nicely offered us a second round on the house (they had obviously not placed the order). At the moment, we were appeased but became restless with the fact that our sandwinch (after an hour) was still not being served! We were both already aggravated by the whole situation and the lack of good service from the staff. Regretably, we encountered mediocre and indiffirent attitude at the front desk of the hotel when we went to complain. This was the last straw. We cancelled our hotel reservation (loosing 50%) and decided to stay somewhere else. I had booked this hotel based on the rave reviews I had read on Trip Advisor, but regretably we did not have a good experience at all and WASTED the whole afternoon dealing with the hotel situation. We decided not to risk the rest of our vacation and booked somewhere else.

2  Thank Patricia M
SUNSETCAFE, Gérant at Sunset Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2016

Dear Patricia M
Please allow me to apologize for the error that we made during your (short) visit. Our server took the order, entered it into the computer, but neglected to press the send button. Our mistake, so sorry!
We are a separate business from the hotel, even though we are located on property, that may be why you perceived the front desk staff was less seamless. We at Sunset Café, as well as Grand Case Beach Club are sad that you chose to pick up and go elsewhere…and hope that you are able to enjoy the remainder of your holiday, even if it does not include us. Thank you for your observations, as both the Sunset Café and the hotel will use your comments positively…to learn and improve.
sunset café

Reviewed 31 July 2016

Had our complimentary breaky here...yum croissant, OJ, coffee and French bread. True French style.
Lunch was outstanding with a delicious veggie salad, which you can add shrimp, chicken and yummy goat cheese on crispy bread.
At here one Eve meal and I had the Mahi Mahi which was very tasty.
Everyone was wonderful and they keep busy.
Thanks Sabrina, Alise, lolo, Phillipe and anyone else I forgot to mention.

Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

Located in the Grand Case Beach Club this restaurant serves breakfast l, lunch and dinner on a terrace overlooking the water and Creole Rock at the distance. Wonderful vistas while you enjoy your food. We had lunch and breakfast at this place and everything was very tasty and good quality food. Servers take good care of you but what really makes this place for me is the location and the view.