“Yummy food and fab service! ”
Review of Antoine by the sea

Antoine by the sea
Ranked #18 of 115 Restaurants in Philipsburg
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 May 2017 via mobile

We'd just arrived in St. Maarten, staying on the Dutch side. It gets dark early here in May, the sun sets at about 6:30. So we didn't want to be driving around in the dark. The resort person suggested Antoine, which was only a short drive, French food, perfect!

Antoine's didn't disappoint. The food was great and so was the service. I had the Gazpacho which was really good, and then the Red Snapper. It was served with puréed carrots, cauliflower, a bit of broccoli, and mashed potatoes. Perfect! My companions had the onion soup, steak with pepper sauce, and shrimp scampi. They were happy too. We had the soufflé for dessert which was plenty for three.

There is free valet parking. And everyone was pleasant, happy we were there. The restaurant is on the water, on the boardwalk area, and the view that of the harbor is beauteous. A very satisfactory dinner, yummy food and great service.

Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

Amazing dinner with a view. Escargot to start. I had broiled lobster, my husband had the red snapper. Both were fantastic! Don't forget the chocolate soufflé. To die for! We will definitely come back!

Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

Visiting the island for our 30th anniversary, we were looking forward to a great meal here, based on other reviews on this website and the concierge at out hotel. However, our experience was not only disappointing but extremely disturbing.

We arrived at 7 pm for our reservation, and found only 2 other tables filled. I thought this was odd so remarked on it to the person who seated us, who said that all the tables had suddenly just changed over before we arrived. Fishy?? We gave the server a card that our concierge had given us for use in that restaurant which she said would entitle us to two free drinks. When we showed it to the man who seated us, he said nothing, just had a look of disdain on his face. Not very welcoming...made us very uncomfortable!
We ordered a bottle of wine and appetizers. Even with so few diners, the service was slow. I ordered a salad and my husband ordered the shrimp cocktail, which was pricey but he decided to splurge. The shrimp cocktail arrived looking a little sad and disheveled and consisted of only three jumbo shrimp for approximately $16-$18. As soon as he bit into the first shrimp, he spat it out. In 30 years of marriage, I have never seen that man spit out food! We live on the US east coast and are fortunate to eat fresh seafood often, so we know what it should taste like. This shrimp was not it!! It had a strange texture and strong smell...signs of being past it's prime.

When the waiter came over to see what the problem was, he gave us a bit of a song and dance about how the shrimp is imported and they never know what conditions the vendors have stored it under. (Really??? Shocking!!!) No apology. He told us that our best choices for seafood would be those that are locally caught - the mahi mahi and red snapper. I mentioned that I had ordered a different type of fish for my entree, and he said no, I shouldn't get that, and that he would change my order to the snapper.

But then he promised my husband that he could do better with a different kind of shrimp preparation and so, reluctantly, my husband agreed to give it a try. When the second shrimp appetizer arrived it was beautifully presented and cooked with some mushrooms and other seasonings. But it was the same old tasting bad shrimp as in the first appetizer and trying to cover that up didn't work. At this point, when my husband told the waiter that the shrimp tasted bad and he didn't want it, the waiter gave him a dirty look and said that the problem was with my husband, not the shrimp! Really really insulting and unbelievably nasty!!

At that point we decided we had suffered enough for one night and didn't need to be spending any more time or money on questionable food and abuse. We paid for our wine, salad and bottled water and left. Another first for us!

When our taxi driver picked us up and we told him about our experience, he said that all the taxi drivers know that Antoine's is no good ever since Antoine sold the business and the new owner took over. Oh great! Wish we had known that before! Since we still hadn't eaten dinner, he graciously took us to another restaurant, Skip Jack, that he promised would be good...and it was busy and the seafood and service were terrific.

Seriously, I can understand that it would be difficult keeping many imported seafood items on the menu fresh. Especially if traffic through the restaurant is as slow as it was at Antoine. But then why not do any excellent job serving only those items that you can ensure will be fresh and tasty? And there is no excuse in the world for the treatment we received at this restaurant. A lifetime worst restaurant experience for us!

2  Thank tiffy719
Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

The grilled lobster was superb and the view spectacular. Fresh French bread and butter, freshly made iced tea and sweet delicious peach Melba for dessert with espresso. I shall return again and again. A bit of French atmosphere and dining on the Dutch side

Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is on the boardwalk and once the cruse ships leave many of the places roll up their sidewalks. But Antonine's stays open and has excellent food. We had 3 glasses of wine, a dirty martini, and two appetizers and bred for $63.

I had a scallop dish and it was perfection. The sauce was exquisite, in fact so much so that we dipped the bread in it. I want the recipe for the sauce.

The house wines were quite nice. And the dirty martini was extremely strong