US$84
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$115
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$129/night.

Alicia's Inn(Philipsburg)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
  • Free Internet
L'Esperance Hotel(Philipsburg)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsocean loungefront streetbreakfast was includednespresso machinewindstar cruisest maartenjunior suiteboard walkshopping districtships dockhotel guestsocean viewgrand casenight lifean umbrellasimpson bayhh
Reviewed 20 January 2012

After reading some reviews before leaving, I was a little worried about check in since we had pre-paid through a third party. No problems. Our check in was quick, friendly and painless. The gentleman at the front desk gave us the lay of the land, gave me a wifi password, told us where are room was, and we were in our oceanfront room in less than 10 minutes.
The room was spacious, bathroom was very modern and plenty of hot water although no hooks for wet towels and bathing suits. The balcony was a little great. 4th floor over looked the lounge and beautiful great bay.
In the morning we were steps away from the beach. Towels are available to hotel guests as well as chairs and umbrellas. I'm not sure if the hotel wants to have food/beverage service on the beach or not. We saw someone taking drink orders and asked him for a menu. About 20 minutes later he came back and sort of tossed the menu to my husband from about 10 feet away. We decided to go else where for lunch.
The boardwalk during theday is a very lively cruise ship port. Music is playing the smell of jerk chicken fills the air and the cocktails are readily available.
The boardwalk and Philipsburg at night is another story. Front and back street are pretty much deserted.There's a casino a few blocks up but my husband felt alittle uncomfortable about walking.
We visited the ocean lounge every night for our night cap and felt like we were in heaven, literally. The beautiful ocean and lovely breeze, comfortable seating and very friendly and engaging staff.
We had dinner once in the restaurant and it was very good, along with the service. Very nice wine list too.

Room Tip: Overall, I loved it because I'm a beach person and the beach here is lovelyand the water is calm. But if your looking for nightlife, you'll have to rent a car.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed here for two nights on the last part of our honeymoon. The room was very nice, modern and clean although the bathroom could have used a remodel. We had a beach front room and the balcony and view were amazing! We reserved the room way in advance and got a great rate with breakfast included. When we arrived, we were told breakfast was not included, but I was able to show them my email confirmation and they immediately gave us breakfast vouchers. The breakfast was awesome - might have been the best of our trip - but expensive, so it was nice to have it included. The breakfast buffet was just wonderful - everything was really fresh and delicious. The hotel location was great - right in the middle of downtown Phillipsburg and on the beach. The hotel has nice beach chairs and chair service. We were told by some other guests that its best not to walk around the area at night - take a cab instead. On our last night, there was a fight right outside the hotel lounge on the boardwalk, and it caused kind of a ruckus for a while. We did go down for dinner, which was also delicious. The hotel was somewhat difficult to drive up to, as some of the streets nearby were closed and there are people walking around everywhere, but we managed. All in all, it was a nice hotel with great decor, and a delicious restaurant, but I wouldn't venture too far on foot at night.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2012

it is worth what they charge you.
didn't like Philipsburg.

Room Tip: choose beach view without any doubt specially forst fllor #103
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Lets start with the good... Nice location right in the middle of Phillipsburg, I found the food at the restaurant to be very good and with a decent presentation. It was a bit pricey but nothing to out of line. The Bar had a fair amount of patrons, a good atmosphere and the staff friendly. The lounge area just outside the bar overlooking the beach was exceptionally comfortable and a great place to read a book or just relax with a drink. There are several good restaurants that you can walk to, but beware, walking through the streets of Phillipsburg at night is a bit creepy... everything shuts down when there aren't any cruise ships in port. Had no problems with the WiFi and TV.

The Average: rooms on the street side are average size, road noise, and a bit dated. Bathroom was clean and plenty of hot water. Overall the interior was so so. The town is very slow at night... if you are looking for night life, this part of the island is not the place to go
Philipsburg. The beach is clean, well kept, and hotel maintains enough chairs etc. But the beach isn't the prettiest one on the island.

The Bad: Do not pre pay with a third party hotel site. (i.e. travelocity, hotels.com, etc) We booked two rooms and it took almost an hour and a lot of phonecalls, e-mails, updating records from the site to the hotel (they only do it once a day in the middle of the night). In the mean time we were lucky that they had extra rooms and it was a slow period. The receptionist really tried to get us to just pay for the rooms again and figure out the next day. After much prodding we managed to get her to call the manager and as I said before eventually straighten everything out. We were tired from a long day of work and this was a hassle we could have skipped.

Room Tip: Beach front, lower floors
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank ncfreqtraveler
Reviewed 2 January 2012

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. Despite having a printed confirmation of pre-booked and paid reservation they tried to tell me it wasn't and wanted my credit card. They then took a face print of the card, did not fill in an amount and asked me to sign it! Also took a $450 Auth on my credit card. I became irate at the crooked hotel clerk who laughed at me and said I couldn't stay there. When the security guard who works in the lobby came to assist me, I was able to speak with the manager on the phone, who assured me it would all be corrected. In the morning they gave me a drink coupon and another charge for $10, room key charge! Really!??! How does one get into the room without a key!? Do not stay here! CROOKED! and Dirty!

Room Tip: Rooms are not well sound proofed. Can hear conversations from next room. Rooms and Bathrooms are filthy!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family