All reviews chef david petit piton piton view st lucia bar and restaurant area local kids water taxi ceiling fan small hotel local beach an air conditioned room fish cakes mosquito netting snorkeling equipment black sand beach breakfast was included soufriere town
Reviewed 25 June 2017

Upon arriving in St Lucia, our driver that was arranged by Hummingbird Beach Resort was waiting for us right in front of the airport with a smile. He took us on a 30-40 minute beautiful drive through St Lucia to Sourfriere, pointing out many of the wonderful features of the island and recommending things for us to do on our stay. Upon arriving at the Hummingbird, we were warmly greeted Shervon, who showed us to our room just steps from the beach sand, with a wonderful view of Gros Piton from our front porch. We had breakfast every day at the hotel, and it was always fantastic. We had a couple of dinners at the restaurant, as well. The fish was always perfectly cooked, sauces and side dishes were spot on. The service throughout our 2 week stay was excellent from every member of the hotel staff. A special thanks again to Daniel and Shervon in the office, Junasha, Desiree, Elsa, Gabriella and Charlene at the restaurant for taking such great care of us the entire time!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank spanishfoodlova
Reviewed 3 June 2017

A great beach with nice snorkelling. It is one of the few beaches on St Lucia not dominated by one of the large expensive hotels. Sun loungers etc are reasonably priced. Nearby are a couple of nice restaurants.

Stayed: January 2017
2  Thank Gragill_13
Reviewed 12 May 2017

We are a family with 2 kids age 5 and 9. I chose to stay in this hotel because it was close to town and beaches, and the property and the view looked great on the pictures. We stayed there for 8 nights and we were very happy.

The hotel grounds:
The property is indeed beautiful - flowers, hummingbird trees, mango trees, breadfruit tree, calabash. The view towards the Pitons and the Caribbean is breathtaking. You can swim in the pool and enjoy it. The view from our second floor ocean view room was absolutely magnificent, with a hummingbird tree in front and below our balcony and different types of hummingbirds fluttering about and drinking nectar.
There is a cottage on the other side of the road that is part of Hummingbird resort, and the garden that leads to it is lush with flowers and fruit trees. They grow there some of the fruits and vegetables they serve in the restaurant.

Restaurant:
The food is expensive but so good. The gazpacho is fantastic, my favorite were the the curry shrimp, shrimp St. Jacque, the crepe with vegetables, and all pasta dishes (the pasta with vegetables was so good - there were more vegetables than pasta, it was more like pasta salad, so delicious). The fish dishes were great as well. Out of 8 evenings, we had dinner there 7 times and there wasn’t anything that we didn’t like. I think my least favorite was the shrimp with tomato sauce.

Mosquitoes:
You really have to be prepared, they are fierce. I will start that mosquitoes really like me so I get bitten around 10 times more than an average person. Having said that, on our first evening I forgot to put bug repellent and after 1 - 1.5h in the restaurant I had about 150 bites, some of which got really itchy and big. My husband and kids got probably 10 each. After that I was really careful to always put bug repellant but i was still getting bitten daily. There are nets around the beds but sometimes the suckers manage to get inside and they get exclusive access to food all night (one morning a killed 3 inside the net). The resort actually sprays against mosquitoes.

Water:
We drank water from the tap and we were fine. One thing that both I and my husband noticed but forgot to ask the hotel staff was that one day the water tasted horribly, as if there was some chemical in it. Later I noticed the same smell on a clean pillowcase in the closet and I concluded that this must have been a large amount of some disinfectant. I wish we asked the staff.
We all had some slight stomach discomfort 2 days later but i don’t know it it was related.

Beach:
The beach is not very inviting, although I heard you can snorkel by the rocks on the right. The water is clear but in the middle of the beach there is some canal /open pipe dumping dirty water in the ocean and the stench is unbearable when you get close to it so we didn’t feel comfortable swimming on that beach.

Town:
We went to the town twice in the morning to buy fresh coconuts and bug repellant from the pharmacy. There is a big pharmacy you can get whatever you need.
There is a guy that sells fresh coconuts - he comes in the morning with an open truck and the local people buy coconuts to drink the water - he comes early and may be done by 10am. He comes almost every day. He chops the top of the coconut for you and gives you a straw so you can drink. He is even filling up bottles with coconut water for the locals. He sells brown coconuts as well. You can find him on the street where the people are selling produce - there are a few sellers lining the street selling bananas, plantains, and other local varieties, and some things that look like turnips, I don’t know what they were.
The central square is closed now for renovation, someone said they are building a park that will be ready by the end of the year. It looks like they has done a similar renovation recently along the water and looks very nice.

Location:
The location is perfect. It’s right at the edge of town (you can walk 5 min and buy fresh coconuts in the morning), and it’s a perfect base for places to go to: beaches (Anse Chastanet, Anse Mamin and Sugar Beach which are all great for snorkeling), the Pitons (we climbed Gros piton but we don’t recommend for kids younger than 9-10, you can read my review at https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147342-d150512-r483551026-Pitons-St_Lucia.html#REVIEWS), the botanical garden, nature hikes (Tet Paul hike - easy hike offering spectacular views), Zip lining (Coubaril Estate), cocoa and chocolate tours (Rabot Estate at hotel Chocolat).

Restaurants:
I can’t say enough about the restaurant at Hummingbird hotel - we had dinner there 7 out of 8 night. It was absolutely delicious.
The one local restaurant we had dinner at was Ruby's Pizzeria. We had great experience, I definitely recommend it. The owner was so accommodating, and the staff so friendly. The food was absolutely delicious and came out very fast. Looks like the restaurant is very popular - there was a birthday party in the garden that was finishing up when we arrived, and some local people were having dinner inside - we sat outside though because inside was air-conditioned and was too cold. While we were having dinner a lot of local people came for drinks and also a big group of tourists came for dinner.

Restaurants with great view we visited: La Haut restaurant, restaurant Boucan, both amazing, we visited for lunch.

Nearby beaches and snorkeling:
Anse Chastanet - beautiful beach, great snorkeling, can rent snorkeling equipment for $10/hour; there is a designated snorkeling area, there is a restaurant and restrooms
Anse Mamin - beautiful beach, maybe even more beautiful than Anse Chastanet, but to get there you have to walk from Anse Chastanet for about 5 min on a path along the coast where is a danger of falling rocks; there is also a restaurant on the beack that is open until 3pm. The snorkeling area is not designated - it’s by the rocks on the left; you can’t rent snorkeling equipment there, you can rent at Anse Mamin but you have to do it for at least 2 hours in order to have time to get to the beach and back.
Sugar Beach (used to be Jalouse Beach) - beautiful beach, great snorkeling, can rent snorkeling equipment, there is a designated snorkeling area, there is a restaurant, restrooms and changing area for visitors.
For the kids Sugar Beach was the best because it was shallower than the others. During our second and third day of snorkeling there were some small stinging transparent things in the water (resembling miniature jellyfish) that ware stinging us everywhere but it didn’t hurt for a long time.

We rented equipment from Chester at the dive shop on the beach in front of the hotel (you can enter the shop from the hotel yard) and it was $10/day pp.

Nature hikes:
The botanical gardens - truly beautiful, don’t miss; we went late so we couldn’t try the mineral baths (they empty them at 4:30) but they looked pretty small so i don’t regret it.
Tet Paul hike - easy hike, the view is spectacular, for me it was more impressive than the view from Gros Piton. We had to have a guide (when you come for a first time) and he gave us a lot of information.

Chocolate tour at Rabot Estate:
We took the chocolate tour at Hotel Chocolate. The tour is expensive but very informative, interactive, fun, and worth the money even though I had to strain to understand what the guide was saying (to be fair, I had similar problem with most of the guides on St. Lucia - their speak English with a heavy accent). The tour had 2 parts - tree to bean and bean to bar. The first part was very interesting and educational. You learn about the different cocoa trees, you graft a trees, you learn about the process of making chocolate. In the second part we made our own chocolate and the kids loved it.
The estate is beautiful - while walked through the cocoa groves we were filled with amazement and wonder. The hike to the lake was exciting but we couldn't really get to the lake since the path just ended at some point. Regardless, there were some great photo opportunities before we turned back. We walked to the highest point that provides a view of the Soufrière Basin, Mount Gimme (the highest pick in St. Lucia), both Pitons, and the Caribbean Sea. I read that the view is rated as the best view in Saint Lucia. I would agree but I would also add that it is comparable with the view from Tet Paul hike.
The view from Restaurant Boucan is also amazing (as is the food).

Zip lining at Morne Coubaril estate:
At Morne Coubaril estate we had creole lunch, estate tour, and zip lining. We were 2 adults and 2 kids, and it cost us around $300. Even though the zip lining in my opinion was a little bit too expensive, the fact that 2 kids count as 1 adult compensated for it, and together with the lunch and the estate tour, I think it is worth the money.
We did it with our kids ages 5 and 9. it's a small-scale zip lining and appropriate for young children (we were told as young as 2). The guides were very nice, it felt safe. It was fun for the kids and the vistas are beautiful. We had already done zip-lining 3 times in Costa Rica including once with the kids (the most impressive being at Selvatura national park pre-kids) so that one felt smaller scale - the lines were shorter, not that high up, and were 8 (not 12 for instance) lines. Regardless, it was good. The other option would have been to drive 1.5 h north to get to the bigger zip-lining operators but we didn't feel like driving neither we were sure they would take our 5-year old.
Estate walking tour: was short but informative
Creole lunch: good value; the fish was great.

Car rental
We used Drive-a-matic and we had great experience - we pre-registered and it made it really fast at the counter when we arrived; we picked right at the airport, we dropped right at the airport, just across the street from the check in. It was so fast. The agents were very diligent to note any issue with the car. We had no problem when we returned. This was our best renting experience ever.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
20  Thank Mariya H
Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

Our stay at Hummingbird Resort was wonderful and the name is fitting as you see the hummingbirds up close n personal, very quick birds. Trying to capture them on camera was a task. It help you to exercise your patience. The grounds are beautiful with fruit trees and flowers trees around. Steps away from the beach. Not much shade on the beach would recommend having some umbrella for guests, there is chairs available. Friendly owner and staff.

Food is good at the restaurant, guests who are staying there should get a discount to help keep more money in the resorts. But not too far walk into town where you can find other restaurants with decent prices n good food. The roads leading into town not big so just be careful. There also a grocery store in town to get water and things for the mosquitoes, but hotel did provide some. Be advised about the voltage n plugs which is different.
The drive from UVF airport is about 45-1 hour the roads are curvaceous, beautiful mountains n views. Explore
Taxi Driver Marvin was great n highly recommended.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruth L
Reviewed 16 April 2017

I really wanted to love it. When we travel, we always avoid resorts and stay places where we can walk to town and enjoy the places that locals enjoy. On many other islands, this has been fantastic. Not here. Soufriere is in need of, well, everything.

That being said- the 'resort' is really a hotel with a very small, warm, often murky pool. Our room, as you have been told, has no AC, indeed, no windows to close. This was especially problematic on St Lucian Independence day, where I experienced a day of electronic dance music louder than the AC/DC concert I went to. All. Day. Long. It was dreadful. The lack of windows/ventilation was also problematic because when we opened the door to get any kind of air, in came both mosquitoes and the largest cockroach I have ever seen. The person in the room below us had little lizards in the room.
I thoughts the restaurant was only OK. Breakfast was nice. Beach is dirty. I brought the towels to the front desk due to them being threadbare. It's a place to stay, but not for a whole vacation.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple