All reviewsfitness trailbamboo loungedeluxe cottagesunken showerother guestsfood and winehead gardenersunset cruisesunset barfour coursesyoga pavilionlocal musiciansst luciagood vibessteel bandevening entertainment ishouse party
Reviewed 6 December 2017

I stayed at East Winds for 3 nights as part of my recent 10 night trip to lovely St Lucia. We stayed in a Superior Cottage which is the lead in room type and it was lovely. Quite adequate for our needs and beautifully located near to dining room, bar and pool or beach for swimming. There are water sports available, but I didn't avail myself of these. This is truly all inclusive, with even the help yourself pool bar giving cocktail instructions.
The staff are amazing too, they really look after you and the lovely lady at the spa has healing hands.
would I go again? not for 3 days.......3 weeks would be far better!! it was a wonderful haven that I will be going back to.

Room Tip: It depends on your n.eds but check the website or email them
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Judith M, Manager at East Winds, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2017

Hi AnnBBury

Thank you for your lovely review! You are right that 3 days is never enough to really relax and get into the East Winds vibe!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back for a longer visit next time,

Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

There really is nothing I can add to what has been said on the other reviews: East Winds is a truly exceptional place!
We had never visited before but were made to feel completely at home as soon as we arrived ( it normally takes me a couple of days to unwind on holiday- here it took a couple of seconds!). We really felt like we were part of a big family-absolutely all of the staff are genuinely pleased that you are there & are so friendly & helpful. The whole setup encourages you to meet other guests, adding to the “good vibes” & enjoyment of the holiday experience at East Winds.
The food is outstanding with four course evening meals as good as virtually any restaurant we have visited in the UK. The wines are superb offering a good choice & changing every night to match the meal. Barbecue nights ( Fridays) offer lobster & Angus steak. Quite often lunch was from the barbecue but also offered options to try other local cuisine.
There is a wide selection of high quality spirits & the champagne flows freely! The cocktails were also thoroughly enjoyed!
We stayed in a superior cottage- lots of room & storage space, very comfortable bed & bathroom with shower. Convenient for the pool area, bars & restaurant & beech. The only very slight issue we had from the entire holiday was that the temperature of the shower was difficult to control.
I don’t think reviews can really do East Winds justice- you just have to go to experience it!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Judith M, Manager at East Winds, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2017

Hi Jonathan

Thank you for your lovely review. It's great to meet new people who love East Winds as much as we do and the team are all so delighted that you had a great time.

I really hope that you decide to come back and see us again, we will be happy to welcome you back to your new island home.

Next week we are installing larger hot water tanks on those specific rooms, so if you stay in the same place you wont have a problem!!

Warmest wishes

Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

Just returned from a wonderful stay at East Winds. The resort is absolutely perfect - discreet, intimate, understated and the staff could not be more accommodating and friendly. You can also have a complimentary half hour treatment in the spa during your stay. The massage was amazing!

Accommodation consists of 30 individual cottage style suites set in immaculate grounds. We had a deluxe room which was beautiful. Very spacious with a huge comfy bed and recently upgraded bathroom with a sunken, walk in shower and beautiful ceramic basins made by a local artisan. The quality of the food is excellent and the staff are more than happy to accommodate any special requests. Cocktails are made to order too! Breakfast and lunch are buffet style, sometimes with a barbecue at lunch, dinner is a fine dining experience in the elegant restaurant with views over the Caribbean and a grand piano playing in the background.

Two very minor negatives: we both returned with quite a few mosquito bites despite regular ‘misting’ of the property so will definitely take extra precautions next time. Also, I opted to have a reflexology treatment in the spa after my wonderful complimentary massage. This treatment was definitely not worth the $115 I was charged for it and only lasted 40 minutes, not the hour listed on the treatment menu. Very disappointing. These are minor points though.

There is no doubt that we will return to East Winds, it’s an absolute gem of a place!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tiggy27
Judith M, Manager at East Winds, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2017

Dear tiggy27

Thank you so much for the review, I really appreciate it, I am so happy that you had a nice time at East Winds and I have passed on all your lovely comments to the various departments.

I am so sorry that you suffered from mosquito bites while you were here, we do supply 2 types of spray in the rooms, one natural spray which is often a preference for those guests who don't want to use chemical sprays, but if you are someone who is susceptible to bites then we do also supply a stronger spray that usually stops everything. There is also a room spray for spraying before dinner to make sure that no mosquitoes are in the room when you go to bed.

I was particularly sorry to hear about the spa treatment and appreciate you pointing out the treatment that was shorter than expected. We will make sure that doesn't happen again, we get so many very positive comments about our therapist Teresa that I was surprised to hear that you were disappointed.

I know it takes time and effort to write reviews, so thanks again and hope to see you in 2018!

Reviewed 25 November 2017

We have just returned from 10 days at East Winds which is small and intimate and so relaxing and I cant praise it highly enough. It must be one of the most friendly hotels I have ever stayed in. The staff are all so lovely and so good at their jobs, but also such good fun. The beach is beautiful. We stayed in bungalow 2 which was near to the beach and pool and was decked out with fresh flowers on our arrival. The restaurant is right on the beach and it was lovely eating delicious food and drinking delicious wine whilst listening to the waves. I had 3 spa treatments which were amazing. The yoga and Pilates were excellent. The gardens are beautiful and lovingly tended. For me this is one of the most charming hotels I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Heather R

Hi Heather

Lovely to hear from you and thank you so much for the very kind review. You were model guests and we all enjoyed your stay.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us!

Reviewed 21 November 2017

This review is going to be LONG! But it's going to be thorough...

Firstly, East Winds is a hidden gem and during my stay couldn't stop talking about how happy and impressed I was with everything...so here it is - a THOROUGH review (in no particular order) from a 32 year old honeymooner on East Winds:

FOOD - REVIEW:

DINNER: Unbelievable. When I checked out the menu online before our holiday, I was a bit apprehensive that because the menu was so extensive, that the quality wouldn't be very good. I was entirely wrong. Firstly, the menu online is long because East Winds is trying to show you the large variety of food they serve throughout the week, specifically for each day. What I mean by that, is the menu changes each day meaning each day food is bought and prepared daily to maintain amazing quality and freshness. Dinner menus are separated into 4-course servings: 1) small appetizer; 2) another slightly larger appetizer; 3) main course; and 4) dessert. For each course (minus dessert), a meat, fish, and vegetarian option is offered. I am not a vegetarian but dabbled in all sorts of options and was blown away by the exquisite taste and preparation of the food. This isn't "inclusive" food that's boring, bland, or sloppy. This is fine dining with beautiful ingredients thoughtfully prepared and creatively blended for a world class dining experience. On top of this is an extensive list of worldwide wines of excellent quality. Like the dinner menu, the wine list changes each night to compliment the food freshly being served that evening.

BREAKFAST: Is fairly standard each morning but again, delicious. Staples include some cereal; porridge; yogurt; scrambled eggs; toast; croissants; fresh fruit; beans; bacon; the most amazing sausages; and a chef on stand-by in an open-air concept kitchen ready to prepare pancakes; French toast; or eggs any way you want them at your request. The coffee is made from an insane coffee machine and out of this world. The most amazing part of breakfast is that the serving staff will offer you a therapy drink of fresh fruits and vegetables to start off, or a smoothie to get the necessary vitamins into your system straight away.

LUNCH: Like dinner, lunch changes daily but is less extensive in options - but still with enough variety of satisfy any craving. Some days would be bbq'd shrimp, tuna, chicken, or beef on a large giant grill; paella with fresh muscles; a variety of salads; and delicious single-serving desserts to pick from.

DRINKS: There are two bars serving a variety of cocktails including daily specials (the almond colada was my favourite!) local beer (Piton - light and crisp!), Heineken, and anything else your heart desires.

FOOD - TIPS:

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served at set-times each day which means...if you miss it, you miss it! There is a light-fare menu you can pick panini and salads from any time throughout the day but if you are aware of the meal times, it's best to enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner at the allocated times because the food is worth it.

Dinner is a formal affair and men are expected to wear trousers and shoes (no shorts or sandals for men). Women? We get off easier with no formalized dress code, so dress up and enjoy yourselves!

DRINKS - TIPS:

Your room will come stocked with your chosen drink options ranging from wine, beer, water, sparking water, coffee machine and kettle for tea, etc. You can always make sure to be refreshed by using your mini-fridge for these things. Your room will be restocked with drinks each morning. There is also a pool with a self-serve bar stocked with everything you'll need to make a cocktail or grab a soda, water or juice.

BEACH - REVIEW:

The beach at East Winds is stunning. It doesn't have a 'resort' feel at all but feels like you're on your own private stretch of sand. No matter which cabana you chose, your views will make it appear as if you’re the only person on the beach. The water is warm, calm, and the sand is soft. With a bit of shade, you could doze off for our hours listening to the Caribbean waves crash on shore. It's incredibly quiet and other guests as well as staff are very respectful of everyone to not disturb your peace. There are also huts with clean beach towels each day so you don't need to bring your own beach towel. There are also two hammocks on each side of the beach for some fun reading as well – plus some wooden lawn chairs to watch the sunset (around 6:00pm each night).

All beaches in St. Lucia are public so while the beach in front of East Winds feels entirely private, you will be sharing it with locals who may be going for a refreshing swim, or doing a bit of fishing.

Finally, because this beach feels so quiet and private there aren’t any people trying to sell you trinkets or bother you. You are left alone to relax and enjoy yourself.

All in all, each day we spent at the beach I couldn’t help myself from commenting how happy I was with East Winds because it didn’t feel like a resort – it felt like a private oasis. A hidden gem.

BEACH - TIPS:

People tend to wake up early at East Winds and grab a reclining chair on the beach right away and then head to breakfast. To avoid missing out on a better-located chair (i.e.: one closer to the sea), get up early and place a towel on a chair to 'claim' it; however, each reclining chair is beautifully positioned so you are never more than a stones-throw away from the water :)

There are signs warning you of sea urchins but if you stay away from the rocky areas in the water, you'll be fine. The majority of the beach in front of East Winds is soft sand. I never once felt worried about sea urchins and didn't think they'd be a problem - so long as I avoided swimming around the large rocks.

POOL - REVIEW:

I didn't use the pool because why would I? I'm in the Caribbean! I wanted to spend as much time by the sea as possible. The pool isn't large, but it's very relaxing with a self-serve bar and reclining chairs surrounding it.

POOL - TIP:

The pool closes each night at 6:00pm to be cleaned so if you are looking for a late night swim, you won't find one at the pool! You'll have to head to the sea :)

ROOMS – REVIEW:

This isn’t a hotel necessarily, but a resort and guests are put up in their own private bungalows that are located throughout a very manicured and beautiful tropical garden with stone pathways. Each bungalow comes with a large King-sized bed, outdoor patio with stocked mini-fridge, coffee and tea machines, and small sink. Rooms are spacious with beautiful wooden furniture, high ceilings, air conditioning, and (most importantly) screens on the windows to prevent bugs from getting into rooms. Bathrooms have double sinks and a beautiful sunken-walk-in shower that makes you feel like you’re showing outdoors. Each room has a plasma-screen TV with a variety of channels.

My favourite part was each evening (while you’re at dinner), East Winds staff will shove a document under your door outlining the weather forecast for the following day including a list of activities to participate in, and a “fact of the day” about the island and people of St. Lucia. It’s the little details that East Winds pays attention to that really make a huge impact on guests. We felt spoiled.

East Winds also stocks each room with bug spray to help with any insects that might bother you – it is a tropical island, after all!

WILDLIFE – REVIEW:

The property has a variety of small wildlife that was really enjoyable to see and listen to. Each morning we’d be woken by beautiful birds singing joining us for breakfast while we drank our morning coffee. Little lizards would scamper across the garden grounds while you walk to the beach, and in the distance you would hear roosters welcoming the start of each day. Nighttime would bring little frogs singing and hopping around cutely. The sea had some fish you would see from time to time, but from everyone I spoke to in St. Lucia they’ve never had a problem with sharks (which is a relief to someone like myself who enjoys watching Shark Week on tv each year!)

ACTIVITIES - REVIEW:

East Winds does a fabulous job of making sure guests have ample opportunity for entertainment. Each day they provide a different excursion guests can participate in – should they choose to. These activities cost money and are added to your final bill which you pay at the end. As a honeymooning couple, East Winds treated us with a relaxing massage and a private dinner on the beach.

Activities include: 1) boat-trip to see the famous Piton mountains; 2) shopping trips to the main city of Castries and visiting local artist studios; 3) rum distillery tour – which I HIGHLY recommend everyone to do! It’s inexpensive, the rum is delicious, and the price is a steal; 4) sunset cruise around Rodney Bay and Gros Islet; 5) snorkeling around Rodney Bay – again, highly recommend this!

Some activities are free to participate in like evening cocktail lessons, cooking classes, garden walking tours, etc.

If you miss one of the activity options or want to do something different just speak with reception and they’ll arrange a driver to pick you up and take you on whatever excursion you want to do that day. We wanted to hike Gros Piton so we had a driver pick us up and drive us to the mountain. He stopped at many different look-out points and even took us to a waterfall after to cool off in. It was 100% well worth it – but be warned, the hike is fairly challenging but most challenging of all is the extreme humidity and heat so start your hike early!

There are a variety of activities you can do from the beach as well that are provided by East Winds such as taking out kayaks, paddleboards, little boats, snorkels, etc.

ENTERTAINMENT - REVIEW:

Live music accompanies dinner each night. Some nights it’s a piano, other nights it’s local steel drum musicians, singers, or local artists. Each night the music was exceptional and fun – making you want to dance!

My husband and I were celebrating our honeymoon. We are in our early 30s and I will mention that the demographic at East Winds is quite a bit older than us, but as honeymooners we didn’t mind at all. We actually really enjoyed the peace and quiet of this hotel because the demographic is older. If you’re looking to get drunk, party, regret hangovers and have tacky sunglasses tanlines from passing out in the sun with a margarita in your hand – then East Winds isn’t for you. Club Med in Mexico is. If you’re looking for a romantic holiday to recharge your batteries, connect closer with the people you love, and truly soak in the culture and peace of St. Lucia, then East Winds is for you. It’s an unbelievable hotel that focuses on wellness and a holistic balance of fun and peace. It was perfect for us as honeymooners. The most romantic trip we’ve ever been on.

SERVICE & STAFF - REVIEW:

I left this category to the end because it was the one category of our trip that needed the most attention. I don’t even know where to begin expressing how utterly impressed and grateful I am for the East Winds staff. The staff at East Winds spoils you- almost to the point that you feel guilty! I said to my husband, “we’re not rich, we’re not famous, we’re just normal people – but we are being treated like we are something very special!” it was amazing. I have never in my life experienced such incredible service. And it wasn’t just their amazing attention to detail that impressed us most, but their unbelievable sincerity in everything they did. Staff learned our names, learned the food and drinks we liked, joked with us, danced with us, accommodated us when we wanted to stay up late and have more drinks or eat more food. They laughed; they smiled; they told us stories; and were interested in hearing ours! I have never in my life – on holiday or back home, met more sincere, generous, genuine, kind, and friendly people. The staff at East Winds was the cherry on top of our holiday. St. Lucia is a BEAUTIFUL country with an abundance of things to do that balance relaxing & adventure nicely. The people of St. Lucia are out of this world friendly. But what made our trip so memorable – so unbelievably special – so unbelievably wonderful – was the staff at East Winds. I can’t thank East Winds enough for making our trip so memorable and I owe that happiness entirely to the amazing East Winds staff. Each and every one of you made an impact on our stay and I will never forget each and every one of you. The world needs more St. Lucia!

I look forward to enjoying another holiday at East Winds in the future when my husband and I celebrate an anniversary milestone in our lives. East Winds is a gem.

Room Tip: All rooms are fabulous and a short 2min walk to the beach.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Daniela S
Judith M, Manager at East Winds, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2017

Hi Daniela

Well, I am sort of speechless! As the team at East Winds will tell you, that doesn't happen very often ...

Firstly I am very happy that you had a wonderful honeymoon holiday with us, we have exceeded every expectation and that it exactly what we aim to do for all East Winds Guests.

You review is really lovely and more than we could have hoped for, thank you so much for putting all the detail in and for saying so many wonderful things.

We are all delighted that you had such a great time and that you will be back!

Your island home will be here waiting to welcome you,
Warmest wishes

Managing Director

PS: There should never be any reason to bag a beach bed with your towel before breakfast - there are more beds than on the beach than beds in the rooms!!