New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort

Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Wonderful time at Halcyon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2008

We stayed here in January in a Honeymoon Concierge Beachfront room. We've never done all-inclusive before and had read mixed reviews on here.
I won't go into great detail as there are plenty of reviews like Gman below that cover the details very well. We had a great time. Hotel, staff, room, food, trips, weather etc were all to our liking and I would definitely do Sandals and do Halcyon again. We visted the Grande and the Regency and each has its merits but the size and style of Halcyon suited us.
Chill out, relax and enjoy - that seems to be the St Lucian way.

• Liked — Hearing the sea 10 metres away
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank serviceace

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (920)
  • Slovak first
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2008

My husband and I stayed at Halcyon June 30th - July 4th. We were in room 411- Grand Luxe Oceanview. This was our second stay at a Sandals, our first time to St. Lucia, and we visited two other countries on this trip.
The trip started out on the wrong foot with our flight (an AA problem). Instead of arriving in St. Lucia at 3:25pm we arrived around 10pm. The majority of the passengers were staying at one of the three Sandals resorts. Upon arrival at the airport there were several shuttles waiting to go to each resort. Check-in was smooth and Andy at the Beach Bistro worked hard getting everyone fed that night. The room was nice, however, there is no real ocean view from the room due to the trees and the Beach Bistro. When you leave the room and are in front of that block, you look to your left to see the ocean. The concierge rooms had the best view. The room wasn't outdated like some people mentioned. Maybe they were expecting flat screen TVs and iPod docks but all of that isn't necessary in the islands.
The resort is very quiet as others have said. I think the staff plays into that too much though. If the Playmakers and bartenders tried harder it wouldn't be so bad (the G-man was cool). Also, a lot of couples really only slept at Halcyon. By that I mean that they took advantage of the lower price at Halcyon but hung out at the Grande or the Regency and only came back in the evening. I don't mind a quiet resort but I was expecting a little bit more.
We visited the Grande with two other couples we met there and enjoyed ourselves. The pools and bars were much livelier, the beach was much bigger, and there were more people interacting with one another. At Halcyon it seems like a lot of couples stuck to themselves and went in for the night around 9pm most nights. That isn't that big of a deal but it would have been nice to see more people out. We did realize that a good amount of couples came back out for food around 12:30am.
Andy at the Beach Bistro was by far the best! He worked extremely hard when we there- cooking for and entertaining upwards of 30 people by himself at 1am!
Brutus at the Grande was very funny as well.
FYI- the Pier was my favorite restaurant. Bayside's St. Lucia-themed lunch was the best overall meal.
I will admit that I was spoiled last year - we stayed in a Butler Suite at Sandals Grande Ocho Rios - and this was much different. Not bad, just different from our 1st experience.

• Liked — The grounds were beautiful
  • Disliked — Some of the employees didn't try hard enough to entertain guests
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ReggaeFlava
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2008

My husband and I went to Sandals Halcyon last December on our honeymoon. It's a very pretty resort, small, but quaint and very romantic. Our room was a deluxe room, we weren't really that happy with it at first. It didn't have a fridge in it, which we are used to. The beach wasn't the greatest. It was kind of small and the water wasn't aqua coloured, it's darker. We ended up spening a lot of our time at Sandals Grande, which is an amazing resort. We liked to hang out there during the day since it was a lot more lively. On the other hand, we were happy to come back to our resort for some peace and quiet. The restaurants were fabulous. The food was so good, my Husband and I feel like all we did was eat food all week. It was really fun to take the shuttles to the other resorts and eat their food. My recommendations for eating: At the Halycon, The Pier which is on the water. At the Regency, Armando's, which is up in the higher part of the resort called the Bluffs. We went at Sunset and it was breathtaking. At the Grande, Toscanni's, very very good food and classy. One thing I also recommend is to climb up Pigeon Mountain. The view from the top is absolutely amazing. I've been to many all inclusive resorts and I have to say, Sandals is the best by far. St. Lucia is my favourite island now, it's so lush and mountainous. All and all, a great time!
We plan on trying out Sandals in Jamica next!!!

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank stephward5
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2008

At first reading some of the bad reviews of the Halycon on this page I was a little afraid of what I might get. I must say that most of those reviews were wrong and we had a wonderful stay.

I will first start with the van ride from the airport. They drivers there are kind of scary, and the road is very curvy and the drivers drive fast. I highly recommend some kind of motion sickness medicine. After that though, everything was great! When you get to the hotel you are greeted with a cool towel and champagne and you sit on the couches in the lobby and they check you in and bring your bags to your room.

The beach is nice, with soft sand and blue waters. The water is not as clear as some parts in the carribean, but still very nice to swim in. The water was also pretty calm. There are a couple of beach vendors that will try to sell you necklaces and stuff. They are pretty nice and if you just take a look at what they do, they will leave you alone. We actually bought some necklaces off one of them, he was an older guy and was very nice and gave us a lot of knowlege about the island.

The sunsets are very beautiful. You should try to watch them each night you are there. We took advantage of the free photo shoot they give you and we had our pictures taken at sunset and they turned out amazing. To actually purchase them was pricey, but it was our honeymoon so we felt it was worth it.

Being on our honeymoon we received a bottle of champagne in our room upon arrival and a note from the resort. We also got breakfast in bed one morning which was very yummy! There are a lot of couples staying at this resort either on their honeymoon or getting married. We saw two weddings Saturday morning before we left.

The food was amazing. The Halcyon has the best food of all three resorts. The Pier has wonderful seafood and amazing views! Marios was by far the best food! I recommend the Caprese, Rack of Lamb and the Creme Brulee! But all of their food is outstanding. We ate at the Bayside for their breakfast buffett which was very good. You get to have champagne and orage juice! I found that the Bayside was too hot to eat in during lunch or dinner though.

The drinks are very good! They don't hold back on the alcohol like you might think! I recommend the Banana Lady, Lucian Delight, and the Bob Marley.

The Service and employees of this resort are outstanding. Everyone is polite and they always say hello even if you are just passing by. They remember your names and are just great to be around. It is part of what makes this resort so great!

The room was a little old and outdated, but they are all getting remodled to be bigger and more modern so that should not be a problem in the future!

There was some nightlife at the Halcyon, but if you are a big partier I would recommend the Grande. We went there one night and it is very nice, just very big and very touristy...we liked going back to the Halcyon, it just felt like home, and not some hotel. We also found the service at the Grande to not be as good.

Over all I am glad we picked to stay at the Halycon. We found this resort to not be over crowed, to be small and private, which was just perfect for us. There was always enough chairs on the beach and by the pool and plus it was easy to make friends because you keep running into the same people so often! We loved our stay at this resort and we are planing to go back in 5 years and renew our vows there. I can't wait to see what the new rooms will look like!

• Liked — The people, the service, the food, and the views. Pretty much everything.
  • Disliked — The room, but they are fixing those.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Angel2277
pittsburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2008

Our experience at the Sandals Halcyon in St. Lucia was an utter disappoint to my husband and I. To start, the resort is under rennovation and the paradise pool was impossible to relax at. Second, the food is small and average at best. Some of our dining experiences involved eating "king fish" with bones in it, watching the random black birds swoop into the breakfast buffet and eat off of the untensils and dishes. Luxurious! If you are looking for lobster and crab legs, none of the resorts have them. When ordering, you better be ordering a lot because the portions are ridiculously small. Third, the staff was a huge let down altogether. We were expecting outgoing and friendly staff at the resort and they were far from accomodating. Out of our 7 night stay, we found 4 great employees. One evening a bar tender actually told me I would have to find my own wine glass because he didn't have one.

The ride from the airport is long! We were constantly taking a shuttle to the Grande due to the pool being so much nicer. Sandals had signs everywhere pushing for a future booking. The Little Big Cruise was the best part of our trip! It really shows you a great view of the Pitons and the island.

If you are looking for luxurious and to be treated like you are in a 5 star resort, do not go to a Sandals. We have been to the Riveria in Mexico on two trips and found it to be exceptional compared to our Sandals experience. My husband and I both agreed that we would never be back and be afraid to try another Sandals. The food, service, and resort were not of high guality. When you read other reviews stating about the cats on the property, they are true! Beach vendors will try and get you to purchase things anytime you are close to the beach. Save your money and go somewhere else! Trust me, I am a huge optimist and I couldn't believe the negativity and overall experience I was left with.

• Liked — Lester, one of the workers at the desk area. Compared to all the other employees, he was a breathe of fresh air!
  • Disliked — Food, atmosphere, poor service!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank acsjas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
21.5 km away
3.0 km away
Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
32.4 km away
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!