All reviews friday night continental breakfast post office room was clean and comfortable close to shops pay the difference bar serves hotel is centrally located excellent place to stay hotel employees johnny cakes great view fell in love mac cheese great island grocery store spent a week
Reviewed 30 April 2010

In April, I did a week of diving in Saba. I stayed at Scout's Place and dived with Saba Divers. Everything was great. The room was clean and comfortable. The restaurant on the property is very good. Everyone at the restaurant was wonderful and I enjoyed talking with them. The ladies in the hotel office went out of their way to arrange taxi's, reservations at other restaurants and general suggestions. The hotel is located a nice little town, close to shops, restaurants and trails.

Transportation was arranged to the dive shop and back. The dive shop is well run. Everyone is kind and really go out of there way to ensure you have a great dive. The dives are really top notch.

Saba is quiet beautiful island with so much to offer a diver or anyone who enjoys nature. I high recommend staying at Scout's Place and diving with Saba Divers.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank RXF13
Reviewed 30 April 2010

Scout's Place was a pleasure. Nine of us were traveling on a boat, and having a couple of nights on land was beautiful. The views were great, and the island a real treat for never having heard of Saba. Scout's dive crew were professional and friendly. The dives were amazing, seeing real coral again!! The taxi drove us all around for a couple of days, and we paid at the end. A very nice system, not having to dig out money all the time. Karoke night is loud, but very entertaining. The room felt spacious and the breeze was constant. Thank you, Saba Divers and Scout's Place!

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank bbprice
Reviewed 13 April 2010

I've been visiting the Scouts Place for over two years now and I LOVE IT!!! Every time I walk into Scouts Place it's like coming home. From the office staff to the restaurant staff the housekeeping staff they make my stay enjoyable even though I go for work. I travel to Saba for a minimum of two days a month every month for business and it is always a pleasure to come into my clearn room. The restaurant serves some of the best dishes with various themed nights (like the Sushi night).
It is conveniently located in WindwardSide close enough to the shops, hiking trails, restaurants, museum and other monuments in walking distance (banks and post office too) while not being close to the noise. The WIFI is great for my job too and allows me to do some of my work while looking out at one of the best sunsets on Saba.
I do look forward to diving with Scouts place and their well informed/ patient dive instructors. My only regret is when I pass the instructors training their students in the pool that I won't be able to go diving with them because of work, however I've seen the patience that the instructors have with the students, the thoroughness and the detailed instructions that is given.
The Friday night Karaoke night is a wonderful way to unwind and meet the locals who cheer you on while you're on stage. Once again another plus for Scouts Place!!!!
I would recommend Scouts Place to anyone for business, since they accomodate busy schedules, for couples, the view in the cottages are beautiful, for families it safe, comfortble and close quarters or for anyone that would like to enjoy the peace and tranquility that Saba has to offer.
Thanks guys for your wonderful and continued support!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank EnergyEvans
Reviewed 9 April 2010

We stayed here 3 nights, whilst visiting saba from st maarten, the entire purpose of the trip was to go diving.
We did not expect the place to be in any way luxurous, we did not come here for that, however the room was filthy, with big holes in the sheets.
The sheets were not clean, the towels were all stained. it was disgusting.
The staff are so rude, and not at all helpfull,
the food made us sick, do not ever eat in there restarunt!
Well now the diving! these guys break every rule in the book, being a rescue diver with over 500 dives logged, I traveled here to find i was on dives with people doing there first ever dive in the sea!! and that was a morning deep dive.
Such a shame I did not reaserch propally, as Saba has fantastic diving, and some freat dive operations, but DONOT ever book dives with these guys.
They were only intersted in looking after there fellow german freinds.
The set up is a joke!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aladacoop
ScoutsPlace, Owner at Scout's Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2010

The Management of Saba Divers and Scout’s Place Hotel on Saba would like to thank all of you who have posted reviews of our services; we acknowledge the importance of all criticism (and praise). Quite frankly it’s an excellent forum from which we can obtain feedback on our performance allowing us to adapt to the increasing needs of our valued customers.

We have thought about a response to this review for several days and because of the language and tone of it we were not in favor to answer to it since our record in total on this page speaks for itself and doesn’t need any explanation.

Due to the amount of false information and untrue statements we decided to give our point of view on the visit of this particular couple.

Firstly we are wondering why the gentleman finds it necessary to lie about his dive experience. When he states that he is an experienced diver with 500+ dives why did he fill a lot lesser amount of dives into our registration form? He obviously tries to improve his credibility by giving the reader false information in the first place. If he would be more confident of his complaints he could have mentioned his real number of dives and experience. We went through all records we have about this person very carefully and found out that he did excellent dives with a small group on the boat and did not go on a deep dive with a person, as he claims, who was in the ocean for the first time. Moreover we are a very professional dive center with an outstanding crew, reputation and ethic. We make rules but we do not break any. In our ten years running the dive center we have never had a dive related accident, rather, tons of happy and satisfied divers from around the world. Our motto is and always was “safety first”. We certainly do not prefer one group of divers over another because of their nationality. When we went through all the reviews on this website of tripadvisor we found only one review written by a German, the vast majority of “very good” to “excellent” reviews were written by American citizens who obviously didn’t share the same impression as this couple. Even if we tried to accommodate all his dive wishes and even when we took the gentleman out to dive sites he could choose himself on a busy schedule, he resorts to lies and frustration which we find very unfair and inaccurate.

Furthermore neither he, nor his wife, got sick from any food in our restaurant. As it happened I myself cooked one night for them and since I’m a European trained chef with nearly 40 years of experience I can promise you that there was nothing wrong with his food and service. It is surprising to us why the customer chooses to eat in our restaurant on a three day stay several times when he wasn’t happy with his food and service. None of us has seen him or her on any occasion being unwell nor have we ever received a complaint about it while they were here with us.

Concerning the rooms, we have never encountered a complaint from our room maid, a very nice lady from Dominica except for this couple. She approached the management to inquire why the people in room 4 behaved so strangely. The wife of the gentleman took curtains down from the door and windows several times to wrap wet towels around them. Then the husband came to the front office to complain about the missing curtains. We do not have BIG holes in our sheets, nor do we have stained towels.

One of the most ridiculous accusations is the statement about our staffs friendliness and helpful attitude. We are famous for our friendliness and free services but the couple maybe has forgotten that they took advantage of several of the services we offer to all our customers like, free nitrox, free flight ticket confirmation, taxi calls, and arrangements for an island tour, restaurant reservation, nail studio appointment and others. The woman, who didn’t dive, spent the day roaming around the hotel property and visited the front office several times during the day to get information, services and others. We honored all of it and did our outmost to satisfy her needs. She had friendly chats with the front office staff and got a lot of attention from the bar & restaurant team.

We are quite puzzled about the reason for the frustration of this couple. Sometimes, when you travel in the high season to the Caribbean and around the world there have to be compromises since the season implements a higher volume of travelers. Saba was pretty booked in March and we did our outmost to give all divers and hotel as well as restaurant customers the best of service we have to offer. It is quite obvious that we do this just by reading the other reviews on this page since this is our business statement and philosophy. Nevertheless the weather wasn’t always that good and some dive sites were restricted due to the conditions. We can hardly be blamed for this and we choose the best possible dive site for the specific day. We cannot sacrifice safety because of one person who wants to go to a “dangerous” site for other customers, boats and dive staff. We think that this is one of the main reasons why the gentleman was unhappy since he didn’t get the whole picture right and made unrealistic demands.

We are happy that most of the posts we receive are positive from well meaning customers. We look forward to more reviews on Tripadvisor, as we mentioned earlier we find it very helpful to receive any feedback we can. We hope to see you soon on the beautiful island of Saba.

Sincerely the Management & Staff of Scout's Place Hotel & Saba Divers

Reviewed 24 March 2010

Saba is a fantastic island - very different from your typical Carribean Island. Wonderful places to hike and dive. The island is very small - but the hotels are spread throughout the island. We found Scout's to be the perfect location - easy walking to wonderful restaurants and the starting point for most hikes on the island. We stayed in one of their basic rooms and were very pleased. Nothing fancy but clean, comfortable and a good size. Views are fabulous. Owners and other staff were extremely helpful with lots of good ideas while we were there and patient with all of our questions before we arrived.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends