“Sabaoke!”

Scout's Place Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Windwardside B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 May 2012

My wife & I recently stayed at Scout's Place. After one night on St. Maarten, Saba was a breath of fresh air. The locals are friendlier, the food is delicious, and if you like to hike (instead of basking on a beach) it is the perfect getaway. I'm glad we chose Scout's Place in Windward Side. The owners, Wolfgang and Barbara are very nice, as is the rest of the staff working the desk, the rooms, and the bar/restaurant. The food is outstanding! Try the fried calamari, curried chicken, or mahi mahi. Breakfast is wonderful too! Continental breakfast is included in your stay, but I recommend upgrading. First morning I added an egg. Second, I went with the eggs & pancakes. Oh, and try a Johnny Cake! Awesome! The title of this review is Sabaoke because Friday nights Wolfgang hosts their own brand of karaoke enjoyed by the handful of hotel guests, and a large local crowd (all of whome are serious about their Sabaoke, but a boat load of fun!) They have an ample selection of beers, and can mix some delicious island drinks. The views are spectacular! Friday night was a little loud as the Sabaoke raged until the wee hours. It's also located on the main drag, next to another bar which also stays open late. Bring earplugs, and you'll be fine. We plan on returning next year and the year after and the year after...

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sam J
SabaDivers, Manager at Scout's Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2012

Thank you for your favorable review. Its a great pleasure to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful island and Scout's Place to the fullest. Our staff and management are committed to deliver the best service to you we possibly can on a small island like Saba. Our kitchen staff serves reasonable priced and delicious food from the Caribbean and internationally, the dive crew enjoys the Marine Park and its beauties and on a Friday night we want our guests to enjoy some good and fun life entertainment. We have to mention that we are not a discothek, nor do we try to be one. Our goal is to bring people of the island and our visitors together to have a fun night, make some friends and enjoy good music and a few delicious drinks while having a nice conversation and maybe a dance or two. This is the only night people go out on Saba while the rest of the week is rather quite. We are happy to see that you're planning to come back several times and we will ensure you that we will provide the same great service to you, which you have experienced during your recent stay. Be safe and all the best.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

My fiance and I were staying on Saint Martin and had decided to take a day trip to Saba. After a short flight on a small WinAir plane, we landed on the beautiful island of Saba. After passing through the small airport, we were greeted by a very tall man who asked us if we needed a taxi. The man's name was Peddy, and he was a fantastic resource for our first trip to Saba. Peddy told us the history of the island and how he was born and raised there; he was very personable and gave us a lot of great information.

We hadn't eaten breakfast, so Peddy drove us up the winding road (also known as "The Road", as it is the only main road on the island) of the island and dropped us off at Scout's Place.

Scout's Place was perfect. Even though it was early in the morning, the ambiance was still great. It is a cozy but semi open air place with lots of indoor and outdoor seating, as well as a very large bar. We sat on the patio/deck and the view is breathtaking. From the deck you can hear the native birds and crowing roosters and the early morning sounds of the island.

I ordered coffee and a ham and cheese johnny cake and the fiance had cappuccino and the Caribbean breakfast, which was a large portion of cooked and seasoned saltfish with onions and sweet peppers, a johnny cake and a salad, all of which was delicious. The service was friendly and swift. Our bill was around $18, well worth it for the quality and taste of the food. We then stopped in the gift shop to purchase a map of Mount Scenery (for around $3 American) as our plan was to climb the mountain after breakfast. The beginning of the trail was a short walk from Scout's Place, and we were able to get walking sticks, which are free to loan from the trail shop which is very close to the beginning of the trail.

All in all I'm sure Scout's Place is a great hangout and night scene for travelers and locals alike, and they even have Sabaoke once a week, which is their version of karaoke.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank christinakutch
SabaDivers, Owner at Scout's Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Dear guests, we are very happy that you enjoyed our place. We always try to offer a relaxed and fun place and atmosphere. Our chefs offer lots of local food as fresh as we can get it. Mrs Chantal from Haiti, our dinner chef besides myself and Mrs Joyce from Dominica for lunch are experts when it come to Johnny Cakes and Caribbean breakfast, curry goat stew, stewed red snapper or other Caribbean dishes. We have heard many times that people fell in love with their delicious creations. No doubt, the view is really fantastic from our terasses and even after 12 years on Saba I enjoy it each time myself when I step on them. Thank you for this favorable review and we hope to see you back one of this days. Stay safe.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed at Scouts for a week before starting med school and we totally loved it! the view from the rooms is GEORGEOUS, not to mention the view from the breakfast area which is breathtaking. All the food is amazing...the Shawarma was so good I totally recomend it! and the fries that come with each meal are deliscious also, hard to not eat them all! Scouts is right in the middle of Windward side, making its location ideal. We were able to walk to some trails, stores, and plenty of restaurants! The staff is very friendly and helpful :)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yirka_Ryan
SabaDivers, Manager at Scout's Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Dear guests: there is not much we can add to your review, besides that we are really proud of our place and we thank you very much that you added this friendly and nice review to trip advisor. We promise to keep up the good work. All the best with your studies.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

I stayed at Scout's Place after my client recommended this property. It's a little reverse as I am a travel agent but I sent her here and she loved it. I was in Saba for two days. It's a charming little island perfect for hiking and diving. Scout's Place is a small very spartan very casual spot. The desk staff were very nice. I was on my own and stumbled in to have a drink at night and met the owner and friends. They told me the place was closed. It was a little awkward as everything pretty much was closed. I walked around aimlessly trying to find something to do. If I were the owner of a hotel and there was a single travel agent woman, I'd have asked her to come have a drink. Anyway, they have every right to a night off away from guests for sure.Saba is a go to bed early place. I stayed in the summer of 10. Scout's Place is great for divers. Billy the taxi driver took care of me.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank caribchakita
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Scout's Place on Saba has great local ambiance, good food, and they take special personal attention to every detail! While travelling to Saba with 20 high-school students, we were stranded by bad weather for a day/night, and the Scout's Place staff really looked out for us! Reasonable prices as well, I highly recommend Scout's Place!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JaySXM

It was a pleasure helping you guys out. We are very happy that you enjoyed the service and our attention. Thank you very much.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Windwardside
30.5 km away
0.5 km away
El Momo Cottages
El Momo Cottages
#1 of 3 in Windwardside

Been to Scout's Place Hotel? Share your experiences!