“Unparalleled Views; Caters to a Specific Type of...”
Check Availability

Reviews from our community

Any
Surf_Gyps...
New York
“Unparalleled Views; Caters to a Specific Type of Traveler”
Reviewed 31 May 2011 for a stay in May 2011
person found this review helpful

I think you really need to understand what type of property this and how well you deal with elements of nature. Aesthetically the property is gorgeous but it wasn't for me. Now I'm going to be fair and rate it on what the property is meant for and take out all the things Bungalow 180 can't control.

I arrived a day after my friends did so I wasn't part of the check-in process but I did get the sense it was relatively painless except that they only were given 1 set of keys but promised 3 sets. We didn't get the other 2 sets until a day after everyone had checked in.

The views are unparalleled. A true 180 and then some with floor to ceiling doors that turn the house into an indoor/outdoor paradise. It's two-level space that encourages bringing the outdoors in, with bottom floor opening up into the small but adequate pool. The upstairs and downstairs only connect via 2 outdoor staircases.

The decor is lovely, a mix of resort and nature chic. The house is stocked with board games, plenty of towels and abundant outdoor seating. However, all the showers are outdoors. While I enjoyed this very much when I was in Costa Rica, I did not enjoy it in Puerto Rico. We were constantly fighting off bugs or frogs while showering.

The insect situation is incredibly heavy on Vieques. And the location of Bungalow 180 is in the middle of the island so when it rains, puddles of still water appear attracting a very large mosquito population. We hosted a wedding welcome lunch for our friends, the bride and groom here; most of the guests were staying at the W and the next day, they were riddled with mosquito bites from visiting Bungalow 180. Now to be fair, this won't always be the case but it had thunderstormed right before we arrive. Regardless of the weather, the space is very open to nature. You will be fighting off flying cockroaches, centipedes, and a bevy of other insects. It's a tropical island and some people are okay with that. Of the 6 of us that stayed there, 3 of us (me included), decided to spend the back half of our trip at the W Vieques.

Bungalow 180 has no AC but lots of fans. It wasn't enough for me. I had very uncomfortable sleep for all the nights I was there. It was hot and muggy and the air circulation just wasn't enough for me.

The wifi only works upstairs as it's really just a mifi. Only 1 bedroom is upstairs (2 are downstairs) and even then, the mifi needs to be brought in from the kitchen (where it usually is) and into the upstairs bedroom. AT&T has a very strong signal as there is a cell tower nearby. Good luck if you're with any other carrier as you'll have no reception.

The property gets 4 stars because it lived up to it's luxury property designation and it delivers on what it promises. You need to be honest with yourself and make sure you're okay living with nature. As an outdoor girl myself, I thought I would be but I misjudged the situation. I'm extremely allergic to mosquito bites and sensitive to heat and unfortunately the wedding I was attending was held over the wet season while exacerbates both the heat and the mosquito situation. It was extremely humid and wet and without AC, there was no relief for me. Beyond that, I realized I tend to visit tropical locations that aren't quite as humid such as Mexico or Costa Rica. It wasn't for me, but it certainly was the perfect place for half of my group. And a 100% of us agreed on the wonderful aesthetic of the location - both the house and the view were gorgeous.

This is definitely not the place for a family with small children as the house does not connect indoors and there are multiple door outside into nature - easy for the little ones to escape. But it is a great place for a group of traveling friends or adults.

Travelling group: With Friends
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:

Reviewed 14 March 2011 for a stay in February 2011

Your age range 45-54
Recommended for:
Young singles Friends getaway
A romantic getaway Families with young children
Families with teenagers Tourists
Large groups Luxury-minded travelers
Rugged travelers
chicago
Reviewed 14 March 2011 for a stay in February 2011

Your age range 35-44
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Week
Make Enquiry
Talk to the Manager
1 8442709222
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing