All reviews honor bar tamarind tree casita linda honor system caribbean deluxe beach chairs every morning bio bay breakfast was included jeep rental ice machine thought of everything bed and breakfast esperanza riding company laid back view of the ocean ceiling fan
Reviewed 19 May 2006

The Hacienda Tamarindo was perfect for a romantic, quiet get away. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast under the Tamarind tree was delicious and the view out to the ocean was relaxing. We had the pool to our selves most of the time and the property had hammocks and lawn chairs. Request a packed lunch for the beach and enjoy your stay!!!

• Stayed: May 2006
7  Thank tlcall01
Reviewed 14 May 2006

My husband and I wanted to get away for a few days before a conference in San Juan. Getting to Vieques on the new high speed ferry from Old San Juan was simple. The people at the Hacienda Tamarindo were extremely helpful in arranging for a rental car (a must to get around to beaches, restaurants) and a trip to the Bioluminescent Bay. The Hacienda is beautiful and well maintained. Our room had a private balcony looking out over the fields to the ocean. The pool is lovely. The breakfast was excellent. One of the best deals on the whole island is the "box lunch" offered by the hotel. For $8.50 they pack up a sandwich, fruit, chips and cookie in a backpack cooler. Add some drinks to the cooler in each room and it is easy to spend the day at any beach. The hotel provides beach towels and chairs for guests to take with them for the day. Vieques has beautiful beaches, wild horses, and lots of birds. The Bioluminescent Bay is a once in a lifetime opportunity. There is virtually no shopping and only a couple of dozen restaurants on the whole island. It is a place to go to relax and leave behind the bustle of the city. We would definitely go again to the Hacienda Tamarindo.

• Stayed: April 2006
7  Thank Extraordinary33888
Reviewed 23 March 2006

We had a great stay at Hacienda Tamarindo. It is a lovely setting, and the location is both quiet and close to the sea (a rare combination). The hacienda and grounds were clean, well-tended, and charming; the staff was friendly and helpful; the food for breakfast and boxed lunch was very tasty. I spent some time looking at Tamarindo's website before our trip, wondering how the real thing would compare. I must say, in real life it's even nicer.

Being kind of new to the guest house concept, I was surprised at how close some rooms were to the common areas (our room opened to the front lobby), but really the only noise we heard came from the sea. Not too bad, huh?

We would happily stay at Tamarindo again. The Crow's Nest looked like another rewarding spot. Although it isn't close to the sea, it has two of the island's best restaurants on-site, which is a big advantage. It's also located in between Esperanza and Isabel II which is nice.

• Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank MomMonroe
Reviewed 8 March 2006

My partner and I stayed at the Hacienda at the end of February and loved it. This was our first trip to Vieques and based on advice on this forum we chose the Hacienda. We were looking for a quiet place with a pool and a view of the ocean. It was perfect. The Hacienda is a beautiful building and its decorated with lovely antiques and art work. I loved the resident dog, Barkley, cat and bird. (If you don't like animals, I wouldn't go there.) The honor bar was resonably priced and we took advantage of it on more than one occasion. Especially after touring the biobay. You get back around 9pm and there aren't too many places open to eat.

They arranged our rental car and everything went smoothly. We did get a pinhole leak in the tire and we noticed it going flat one morning. Burr, the owner, helped us find an air compressor to fill it and we were able to get it back to the rental place (Martineau Car Rental) and they changed it in about 20 minutes. No hassle.

The orientation to the island is worth it. You find out a lot of useful info on restaurants and how to get to the secluded beaches.

I would avoid Bili restaurant in Esperanza. The service was really bad. Not just Vieques slow, but bad. We had 3 different waiters who didn't seem to know what they were doing and the food made me sick.

I loved Vieques and the Hacienda and will go back soon.

• Stayed: February 2006
8  Thank MDtraveller2
Reviewed 25 February 2006

Vieques is beautiful and as wonderful and everyone says. After all the great reviews for this place, I booked the top room in the hotel (Carribean Deluxe Suite) even though it was very expensive ($275 per night). I was very dissapointed. Only the living room faces the sea. The large bedroom has a wall of window facing a hedge that blocks a road. While the road is not used much, when a car or truck went by it was as if they were in the room. Even more dissapointing is that there are 2 central air conditioners right outside of the room. When these turned on, it eliminated and possibility of enjoying the room. They are loud and overwhelm the night sounds. We actually has to run our A/C to be able to sleep. Unless these air conditioners are moved, I would recommend people avoid this room.

Other rooms also have problems. Many enter through the breakfast area so you are up at 7:30AM. Others have no privacy at all if you open your shutters.

Finally, we signed up for the owners introduction which is set up for 10 and found it very boring and excessively long. He rambled on for 2 hours and basically wasted the fist morning of our trip. A simple overview of the island while checking in would be much more appropriate, and people looking for more discussion with the owner can do so.

Choices on Vieques are limited, and with the right room this can be a nice place to stay. Just be sure you ask a lot of questions and specify what you want.

• Stayed: January 2006