“Yo quiero Hacienda Tamarindo!”
Review of Hacienda Tamarindo

Hacienda Tamarindo
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 May 2006

We (my husband, his granddaughter and her mother) chose Hacienda Tamarindo and stayed in a 2-room suite. The property is beautiful with gorgeous views of the Caribbean. Our room was one of the few featured on the website, though the décor has been updated considerably, and it was quite comfortable, composed of a king-size bedroom with two very nice armoires, a sitting room with two twin-size daybeds, and a bathroom connecting the two. Only the main bedroom had a/c, but the staff thoughtfully provided a floor fan, which, combined with the ceiling fan, cooled the sitting room sufficiently for sleeping. Unfortunately, our room was adjacent to the kitchen and breakfast area, and since the door to the room was a louvered door, quite a bit of noise filtered through in the mornings. Though to be fair, it didn’t seem as loud as the roosters outdoors, and my husband and I didn’t hear it at all in our bedroom—it was just the sitting room that was affected.

After getting off to a shaky start with a certain staff member (she actually told me that she had received an email I sent the day before departure but didn’t bother to read or respond to it since I would be there the next day! The email was a request for 4 packed lunches since we would arrive mid-afternoon and might be too tired to drive someplace to get a late lunch.), we very quickly warmed to the place. We were all charmed by Barkley, the resident Old English Sheepdog, and Shaboo, the brightly colored parrot. Not to mention the staff, including the aforementioned woman, who were all a delight. The pool area was a real oasis, with a shaded pergola and chaises at one end and a vista overlooking the green hills rolling down to the Caribbean at the other. There were two hammocks strung in shaded areas beside the pool, a water fountain incorporated into the pool that muffled voices very effectively, and two small bench-like alcoves set into the deep end of the pool that were perfect for sitting and reading so that one’s bottom half was submerged while one’s torso was above the waterline.

One thing I really liked about the property was that there seemed to be plenty of private spaces, both sunny and shaded, for tete-a-tetes. Some overlooked the pool, others faced out over the gardens or had views of the Caribbean, but all were nicely situated for privacy. Romantic couples would definitely have no problem finding a space for just themselves. Another thing I really liked were the decorative touches here and there, unexpected little pieces, ranging from an antique wheelchair parked in a corner, to a tiled fountain at the entrance, to a Janus-head hanging up near the breakfast area. The honor bar was also very handy to have around, as we could just make our own drinks and record them in a notebook—however, I would have enjoyed having a blender there to make frozen drinks, and there was no ice cream in the freezer as described on the website. There was also a small air-conditioned sitting room with a lending library, decent selection of board games, and a computer with high-speed access for guest use.

Breakfast is included in the room price at HacTam, so we ate there every morning before heading out. The menu consists of toast, various kinds of eggs, fruit, a choice of meat, hot or cold cereals, various juices, and a daily special. I’m trying to lose a bit of weight, so I opted for fruit and cold cereals until our last day when the special was French toast stuffed with cream cheese and guava—tell me, dear reader, what would YOU have ordered? I simply had to do it, and it was delicious. I sampled the others' omelets, eggs Benedict, and spicy hash browns and they were all very good.

HacTam is just a short walk away from the Inn on the Blue Horizon, which is where we went to eat upon arrival. The email that I had sent requesting lunches on the first day was ignored, so we were grateful to have a place we could grab lunch without having to sort through the rental car process first. We did order the lunches for the next day, which were a disappointment, I'm sorry to say. Three out of the four sandwiches were made incorrectly, and the bread was stale on all of them. Still, we were happy to have them to snack on whilst out exploring the deserted beaches with no facilities--and the fruit and the packaged chips and cookies were all just fine. It's a great concept they have going with the cooler backpack, but based on our one experience with it, it could stand some more attention to detail.

All in all, we were extremely pleased with the HacTam. It has a wonderful charm that, if you let it, will ease into your body and mind and embrace you with its serenity. My husband and I will definitely return, and his daughter made a reservation for a stay later this summer before we departed. Despite the small setbacks upon our arrival, I would still rate our experience with 5 stars (or circles, as they use here on TripAdvisor).

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank ejcrowe

Reviewed 19 May 2006

The Hacienda Tamarindo was perfect for a romantic, quiet get away. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast under the Tamarind tree was delicious and the view out to the ocean was relaxing. We had the pool to our selves most of the time and the property had hammocks and lawn chairs. Request a packed lunch for the beach and enjoy your stay!!!

• Stayed: May 2006
7  Thank tlcall01
A TripAdvisor Member
Silver Spring, MD
Reviewed 14 May 2006

My husband and I wanted to get away for a few days before a conference in San Juan. Getting to Vieques on the new high speed ferry from Old San Juan was simple. The people at the Hacienda Tamarindo were extremely helpful in arranging for a rental car (a must to get around to beaches, restaurants) and a trip to the Bioluminescent Bay. The Hacienda is beautiful and well maintained. Our room had a private balcony looking out over the fields to the ocean. The pool is lovely. The breakfast was excellent. One of the best deals on the whole island is the "box lunch" offered by the hotel. For $8.50 they pack up a sandwich, fruit, chips and cookie in a backpack cooler. Add some drinks to the cooler in each room and it is easy to spend the day at any beach. The hotel provides beach towels and chairs for guests to take with them for the day. Vieques has beautiful beaches, wild horses, and lots of birds. The Bioluminescent Bay is a once in a lifetime opportunity. There is virtually no shopping and only a couple of dozen restaurants on the whole island. It is a place to go to relax and leave behind the bustle of the city. We would definitely go again to the Hacienda Tamarindo.

• Stayed: April 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 March 2006

We had a great stay at Hacienda Tamarindo. It is a lovely setting, and the location is both quiet and close to the sea (a rare combination). The hacienda and grounds were clean, well-tended, and charming; the staff was friendly and helpful; the food for breakfast and boxed lunch was very tasty. I spent some time looking at Tamarindo's website before our trip, wondering how the real thing would compare. I must say, in real life it's even nicer.

Being kind of new to the guest house concept, I was surprised at how close some rooms were to the common areas (our room opened to the front lobby), but really the only noise we heard came from the sea. Not too bad, huh?

We would happily stay at Tamarindo again. The Crow's Nest looked like another rewarding spot. Although it isn't close to the sea, it has two of the island's best restaurants on-site, which is a big advantage. It's also located in between Esperanza and Isabel II which is nice.

• Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank MomMonroe
Reviewed 8 March 2006

My partner and I stayed at the Hacienda at the end of February and loved it. This was our first trip to Vieques and based on advice on this forum we chose the Hacienda. We were looking for a quiet place with a pool and a view of the ocean. It was perfect. The Hacienda is a beautiful building and its decorated with lovely antiques and art work. I loved the resident dog, Barkley, cat and bird. (If you don't like animals, I wouldn't go there.) The honor bar was resonably priced and we took advantage of it on more than one occasion. Especially after touring the biobay. You get back around 9pm and there aren't too many places open to eat.

They arranged our rental car and everything went smoothly. We did get a pinhole leak in the tire and we noticed it going flat one morning. Burr, the owner, helped us find an air compressor to fill it and we were able to get it back to the rental place (Martineau Car Rental) and they changed it in about 20 minutes. No hassle.

The orientation to the island is worth it. You find out a lot of useful info on restaurants and how to get to the secluded beaches.

I would avoid Bili restaurant in Esperanza. The service was really bad. Not just Vieques slow, but bad. We had 3 different waiters who didn't seem to know what they were doing and the food made me sick.

I loved Vieques and the Hacienda and will go back soon.

• Stayed: February 2006
Olive Boutique Hotel
#4 of 47 in San Juan
74.2 km away
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel

Been to Hacienda Tamarindo? Share your experiences!