“Great local cuisine.”

Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 15 February 2018

Found the new location as we walked up Condado to Ashford Ave. right on the corner.
I had the Ropa Vieja and it was good! The rest of our party had some of the grouper and enjoyed it. Unfortunately on there night we were there they had run out of plantains. I'm guessing that post hurricane some produce is in limited supply. Service was a little slow but not too bad.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,781)

Reviewed 11 February 2018

As with many others we were staying in a hotel in the Condado district of San Juan prior to a cruise. Following comments on Trip Advisor we booked here for the evening. Tried out 'Canoas de Ropa Vieja' as a traditional dish and were not disappointed. We were well looked after by Sasha, a delightful young lady already mentioned elsewhere.
A word of warning - the plantain dishes are very filling, so don't have too large a starter.
Also note that following Irma, the restaurant has moved to 57 Avenida Condado.
A very pleasant evening sitting outside.

Reviewed 2 February 2018 via mobile

I’m rating Ropa excellent mainly for the excellent service we received from Sasha. I’ve eaten at many gourmet places that doesn’t have the professionalism that Sasha has. It’s been years since I’ve been at a restaurant where a server and the whole staff really, truly cared. I will go back to Ropa again on this vacation before we depart for home. Oh BTW, the food was good too!!

Reviewed 31 January 2018 via mobile

We visited several restaurants here during our time in San Juan, and this was my favorite by far. The empanadallitas were delicious, the ropa vieja is amazing. I had the cabritos and red beans and rice, and it was so good. The waiter was wonderful, the location is great. I have nothing bad to say. Will definitely return if I come back!

Reviewed 27 January 2018

I wanted to take my family to a nice restaurant with a selection of Cuban and Puerto Rican dishes. Ever since I had a Cuban housekeeper (back in the days when,...) I have loved Cuban food. So since i was in Puerto Rico, it was a great opportunity to find a restaurant that offered both Cuban and Puerto Rican food. When I saw the name of the restaurant, I knew that was the place.

Parking is at a premium, though there are parking garages within a block of the restaurant. That was close enough for me to hobble on over there with my cane. We were seated immediately and our waiter was prompt and very friendly. I wanted to practice my Spanish but the waiter was bilingual. My son wanted plantains (which they were out of???) but finally settled on the cabrito. It was his first experience with it, and he loved it. In fact, he wants more!

Me? Well I am at Ropa Vieja and of course round it on the menu. It was among the best I had eaten. My wife was also pleased with her choice. So I can say that we all enjoyed our meal. I topped it off with a nice glass of drambuie,insisting to the waiter, in Spanish, that I did not speak Spanish at all. My Spanish improves after a few drinks.

We have another week in San Juan and I promised the family that we are going back there the night before we leave. That way I can be sure that we leave San Juan with fond memories.