Dreams Hotel Puerto Rico
US$350
US$343
US$292
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrio piedrashot waterdream hotelpuerto ricotrain and busmini fridgecable tvold san juanmetropolitan areastay there againcontinental breakfastacross the streetlocal flavorwalking distancelate at nightstayed nightsenjoyed my stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I stayed at Dreams hotel late May 2012. I was very excited because of the high reviews on trip advisor, but it did not turn out so well.

The place had potential, but it felt more like the scary apartment in the movie Big with Tom Hanks. Matter of fact I couldn't stop telling people that was exactly what it was like. The walls were thin, and I could hear everything going on in the others rooms and at the bar downstairs, the bathroom had towels with huge holes in them, the paint was peeling in the bathroom, and the shower was basically drips coming out of the shower head. The room was hot and muggy, the bed was uncomfortable, and it seemed very unfinished.

Also, I reserved a double room and paid for it ahead of time, but they put me in a single room when I got there because the double room was not available. Then when I came down to go to dinner and asked about getting a refund since I was not in a smaller room that is on their website for less. They told me a refund was not appropriate because my room had internet, which caught me off guard since their website say internet is free.

I rarely write negative reviews. I understand that sometimes things don't work out and thats okay. However, I was disappointed in the stay. It was not what I imagined and I would not recommend that any of my friends stay there.

21  Thank Bacspinner
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I went just for the weekend en-route back from a business trip in the Caribbean.
Upon arrival I was slightly concerned as I normally stay in luxury or at least 4* hotels. From the outside I thought that the hotel was a cinema or some kind! no elevator, but I was on the second floor. Room was actually agood size, spacious. Bathroom a little small but great shower and easy to control the temperature. My real issue was the bed, not comfortabel at all! also on the Friday night it was noisy so I had a terrible nights sleep. The next night (Sat) suprisingly was better. Breakfast was basic but fine, infact I felt really great and was getting to know an area that is definetely not touristy (student zone) so not the most attractive place at all but it saved me so much money as I took the excellent metro into town which I thoroughly enjoyed (with kind assistance of Elena and staff on directions) and met a lovely helpful local at the metro who was going on the same bus as I was and advised me which side to sit for the best views :-) Got back late at night and went accross the road from Dreams to the really lovely red and black charasmatic little sushi place (very well priced.) Loved it. Im a business traveller usually bus I have to say that this stay really took me to one of the real sides of Puerto Rico, off the beaten track :-) and I really saved so much money-so all the more to spend on shopping and having lovely coffees in the beautiful old town.

7  Thank Oceanad
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I just want to start by saying that Elena was a great hostess. She was very helpful throughout my stay. The hotel is very nice and cleaned. My room was great it had everything I needed. Walgreens was nearby and the transportation was a plus. I took the bus to Old San Juan and had a Blast. I will definitly come back again.

4  Thank jesse224
Reviewed 13 May 2012

After a week-long cruise, we opted to spend a few extra days in San Juan. We had booked the Dreams Hotel based on the reviews of others on TripAdvisor. Our first clue should have been that our taxi driver had never heard of the hotel and had to ask another taxi driver who only knew the general area of the hotel.  Our room was on the third floor (no elevator for those this may impact). There were no lights that we could find in the stairways. The hotel looks like it used to be a set of apartments that were cheaply renovated into hotels; I say this cause the first half of our "room" looks like it used to be a patio that they installed windows in to enclose it. As soon as we got in the room, I needed to use the restroom. It took me several minutes to locate the light switch because it was halfway down the BEDROOM wall - not near the door. Then, the toilet seat would not stay up. I had to hold it open to sit down. When I went to flush the toilet would not flush. Since they do not provide shampoo, we had to go get some. On our way out we advised them our toilet would not flush  Fun note, the key we were given must have been the only key since we had to give it to them to fix the toilet; the door lock was a cheap exterior door lock that any novice could have picked in no time. When we came back they said it was fixed; however, I cannot verify this because we decided to leave and find other accommodations. The bedding was very old and clearly worn. The room just did not meet our definition of clean nor did it appear adequately sanitary. The only good thing I can say is the owner did offer to call us a taxi after refusing to give any sort of refund quoting policy.  There must be two Dreams hotels in San Juan because the other reviews here DO NOT match the hotel we saw.  STAY AWAY!!! There was so much more wrong but we didn't want to write a novel. Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank rpd709
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I really like this hotel. It is very clean, located in a university district of San Juan, close to good amenities, (restaurants, Walgreen's to pick up last minute items) and able to be reached from the airport via public transportation should you choose (.75 cents vs. $20.00 for what is essentially a 10 minute ride Take the #40 bus from the airport and get off at the University of San Juan Tower stop, you are two blocks from the hotel.). Most importantly, it resides in a gentrified neighborhood of San Juan were you can find grad students walking their kids in the evening. The husband and wife could not have been nicer or more helpful. They picked me up from the bus stop as it was raining when I arrived and made sure that I knew where the subway station was when I left. I took public transportation from the hotel to the pan am cruise pier (possible because I only had 1 bag). Be aware that there is no elevator, however there is always someone who is there to assist you and the two times I needed assistance the individual refused the tips I offered.

If you are looking for the Caribbean beach vacation hotel with a wide expanse of beach and palm trees, this is not the place. If however, you are looking for a hip, inexpensive location where you can safely walk in the evening, listen to the guys downstairs root for their favorite soccer team and get to the Pan Am Cruise pier without taking a cab, this hotel is an excellent choice. I plan to return.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo