“Great Mexican Carribean Food!”
Review of La Madre

La Madre
Ranked #55 of 1,158 Restaurants in San Juan
Price range: US$8 - US$26
Cuisines: Caribbean, Mexican, Puerto Rican
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We are a small, locally owned business offering high quality meals cooked with the best ingredients. A very intimate space to enjoy lunch or dinner, and now brunch on the weekends. Fresh fruit juices, mimosas & margaritas, premium coffee and great music make this a place you don't want to miss.
Reviewed 8 May 2018

Was totally enamored with the outside dining and amibence after sunset! Great fusion of Mexican with a Carribean flair. Had the beef and chicken enchiladas which were incredibly light!

Reviewed 29 April 2018

we too stumbled upon this restaurant while wandering around San Juan. Decided to walk back at dinner time. It' was unassumingly delicious as stated. Service can be spotty for city dwellers but worth every second of the wait. We shared chimichangas which were flavorful and devoured. I had the split chicken breast with yucca which I highly recommend. Don't pass it up.

Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

With the great reviews I read beforehand, and the quality of food/service we received, it’s hard to understand why this place isn’t more crowded. The huevos rancheros was delicious and light, but filled me up as well (I wouldn’t order it if you don’t enjoy cheese though). Latte was very tasty. I’m very interested to come back to try their dinner.

Reviewed 16 April 2018

My friend and I were in Old San Juan looking for a place to eat last minute because our original restaurant choice for dinner closed by the time we got there. This place came up in a google search when I was trying to find what was near me and I'm glad we found it! We got to sit outside. The service was a little slow, but they were nice and accommodating when my friend ordered a drink and didn't end up liking it. They offered something different and even took it off the bill (thanks for that). I didn't think the food was anything amazing, but it was definitely good! The only thing I would complain about is the music... I swear they played the same odd song multiple times in a row. It drove me crazy!

Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

After our cruise, we spent a day in Old San Juan. We were walking and stumbled on this place. It had a Sunday brunch and we liked the menu. The food was excellent Mexican food with a Puerto Rican spin. Fresh watermelon juice was my sister’s favorite. We ate outside because the place is small and they had little tables set outside in the alley next to the building. The sauces were muted caliente which means very hot. Hue is rancheros was served atop black beans. Every bite made me purr. Prices weren’t too bad. If you have a big group, it might be hard for them to handle. But I’d recommend this to everyone.