“Not much of a beach, but plenty else to offer”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #22 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I stayed at the Conrad Condado recently on a business trip. As a HiltonHonors Diamond member I was upgraded to a room with a very nice view of the ocean. This hotel is located on the north side of Puerto Rico, so it is on the Atlantic Ocean. The main waterfront area is lined with a rock wall where the waves crash constantly. There is a small beach located to the west side of the hotel where the water is very calm and crystal clear. This hotel is very large in that it actually stretches over the other side of the block and the two buildings are connected via skybridge. The hotel has a decent amount of nightlife activity at its many bars located in the lobby (there was still music pumping at 5am when I checked out). There is also a nice pool bar (swim up bar) located near the beach. The rooms were very clean and modern and the beds were fairly comfortable. The location is nice in that you can easily take the bridge over to Old San Juan or head the other direction to all that the Condado area has to offer. I enjoyed my stay and would stay again on a business trip, however this would not be the first place I would think of if I were traveling to San Juan to enjoy the beach.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 526 which was an oceanfront room. Any floor in the buidling on the ocean side of t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,933)

Reviewed 16 December 2012

While at the conrad condado plaza resort my stay was wonderful. There were so many things to do. There's a casino, several restaurants in the hotel to choose from, a bar, private beach, a bar in one of the many pools, hot tubs, daily activities. We stayed for 7days. Each day the hotel offers several activites throughout the day such as happy hour, paddle boarding lesson (free), kayaking lessons (free), zumba (free),, massages by the pool, the list goes on.There was so much to do in Puerto Rico, the location was perfect within walking distance of many restaurants, bars, and stores. When we come back we are staying here again!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Danita S
Reviewed 16 December 2012

The only thing that screamed Conrad were the prices of everything
Cafe Caribe, the affordable restaurant was over priced, had limited choices & served us raw meatballs in the meatball sub. Best bet, hit up the Denny's, at least you know what to expect and get what you pay for.

The gift shop, while nice, was also over-priced
The beach was in worse shape than our Milwaukee Lake Michigan beaches.

On the bright side: the pools were great. The parking was user friendly. The biggest plus to this hotel was the front desk staff - especially Gianna! This young woman is the epitome of fantastic, friendly, empathetic customer service provider.

Might or might not stay here again, depends on the deals at the time.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 14 December 2012

I typically don't write reviews of hotels in the US or its Territories. I stay in hotels about 45 - 60 nights a year, mostly for business and mostly at Hilton properties. I have stayed at the Conrad in Cairo, Miami, and most recently, New York City three days after "Sandy." Every time I have been to a Conrad I have been wowed by the overwhelming generosity, service, and decor. You pay a premium to stay at a Conrad and most times you feel you get the better end of the deal. I have had better stays at budget motels. This property was not even close to Conrad, or even a Rodeway Inn, and surprisingly, was the most expensive of the four Conrad properties I have stayed at. The one positive I would give this hotel is the location. You can catch a bus outside the hotel to go to Old San Juan if you catch it early in its 20 minute window. Otherwise, it is a 40 minute walk. I did both bus to OSJ and walk back to hotel. You are 15 minutes max from the airport by taxi. To be fair, if possible, there was a convention at the hotel so it was filled to the max with people.

Inside the hotel, I would say it is "okay" at best from decor standpoint. If it were any other hotel, I would say "great" but Conrad has a lot to live up to. Even something as simple as a hotel key that said "Conrad" on it was lacking - all of the keys were plain white - felt like I was using a guest badge at a corporate office.

Service at the front desk was exceptional, as always. The first impression I got was the best one I would get my entire stay. Service in the pool and casino were below average as I got redirected all over the hotel due to the employees not having a full understanding of where the bathrooms were. The hotel restaurant had slow service and the food was not worth the money I paid for an appetizer at the bar. Maintenance to come to my room (story below) was about 25 minutes and the front desk having no accountability for their whereabouts and telling me to call back in 10 minutes.

The room was not good. The first room I went to was horrible. The walls were paper thin and adjacent to the service room where the loud washing machine was going and water running through the pipes. I asked to be moved and they wouldn't move me due to being at capacity. When I told them to cancel my reservation and take me to the Embassy Suites (for 1/2 the cost), a room amazingly opened up. The bed in my new room was stiff as a board. The patio view overlooked the other Conrad tower across the street, so the view was lacking. The bathroom was clean, but was woken up by the toilet bubbling up a few times in the night. The couch had a huge dark stain on it. Decor I felt was tiring.

Needless to say, I could not get out of there fast enough. Didn't even stop for coffee or make it in my room - I wanted out. I was on the property for less than 10 hours and was very stressed trying to catch a tight connection in DC to get to San Juan and knowing I had to drive to Aguadilla at 7am the next morning. I thought the Conrad would provide some relaxation and it only added to my stress. The spa was even off site. The room was loud, dirty, and uncomfortable, and quite honestly, I did not have the energy to move to another room. For the first time, I felt like more of a burden than a guest at a Conrad and I never bother anybody once I check into a hotel.

I don't know where else to recommend in San Juan, but there were nice properties down my street and by the airport. I would not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building, facing the beach
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

Dear MrEjection,

Please accept our sincere apologies for your poor experience at our hotel. We are glad to hear you found our location convenient and our staff friendly and welcoming but regret our positives ended there. We work hard to provide our guests the quality accommodations and surroundings they expect from our brand and apologize you were disappointed in our presentation. We have shared your comments on room appointment with our Management team who will conduct any necessary maintenance so as to avoid similar experiences for guests moving forward. We hope you will consider staying with us again so that we may show you the quality service and accommodations you deserve from our brand, should you return to Puerto Rico in the future.

Best regards,

Michelle Burn
Guest Relations Manager
michelle.burn@conradhotels.com

Reviewed 12 December 2012

I asked at midnight an account receipt of the daily lodging cost to the frontdesk at tuesday Dec. 11 (at midnight) but, due to my company paid my lodging, this guy disrespectful told me that he couldn't give a printed copy. I'm surprised by the attitude of persons like this guy. Conrad Hotel, put attention on this guy. He talked with the guests in a bad form, disrespectful.

Also, I had to waiting for this guy close to five minutes on frontdesk because there weren't anybody attending.

So, I'm surprised as a customer due to the bad way to conduce the guests by this guy. This situation happened (as i told you) at Tuesday December 11 atmidnight.

Owners... put the eye on this guy.

Kindly,

The guest

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

Dear Alfredo O,

Please accept our sincere apology for your recent experience with us in Puerto Rico. We regret the hassle at check-in and the service you received throughout your stay. We strive to make every guests stay a pleasant one.

As I responded to you in our Facebook Page, I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally about the situation.

Michelle Burn