“Extremely Disappointed.”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #22 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 1 April 2008

My boyfriend and I just recently came back from San Juan, Puerto Rico. We arrived at the Condado Plaza and it looked amazing, the lobby was beautiful just like the pictures. The hotel has a very nice miami feel to it. It took forever to get to our room because there was only one elevator working in the lobby so everyone had to cram into this tiny elevator. We finally checked into our room right away and the room was very nice and spacious. The only thing is that our balcony was flooded with water, because they failed to tell us that they were doing construction on the outside of the building. We had to go to the lobby and ask for another room. We then went to look at another room which had the same problem. Finally after looking at 2 different rooms we found one that didnt have a flooded balcony and went directly to the pools. The pools were very nice, but the beach is so disappointing very small and there is rocks and shells all over so you feel like you are walking on glass. The beach is public so anyone can go there and even stray dogs were running around. We ordered food at the restuarant by the pool, we had a hamburger and fries and chicken fingers and fries and two drinks the bill came out to $67.00. You have to pay $2.50 extra for slices of cheese. On the second day, after spending the day by the pool my boyfriend and I went to our room to relax a bit, upon entering the room we discovered that there was two men on the balcony painting. They were there for about 15 minutes and then when we went to the balcony and we realized that the balcony was flooded again and the construction workers had left big pieces of paint chips on the floor. We then went to the front desk and complained again, they gave us a resort credit for our inconvenience At this point we were a little fed up, we payed extra money for an ocean view and we couldnt really enjoy it. On the third day we so unhappy because we encountered the same problem once again , we decided to check out and check into another hotel in Isla Verde. If you ever decide to go to San Juan, this hotel is nice, but dont go there unless you are sure that they are completely done with their construction. When I made the reservation they told me that they were done with construction, which was not the truth. The area around the hotel can be a little boring, and the beach is very disappointing. If you are a beach person this is not the place to for you. Try to stay in Isla Verde the beach there is amazing and the hotels are so much nicer.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank greeneyes24
Write a ReviewReviews (4,933)

Reviewed 1 April 2008

Hotel was great - perfect location. Rooms were wonderful, bed was so comfortable I had a hard time getting up in the morning. Looked just like the web site. We ate at the hotel the first morning and then ventured out to the local restaurants - much more reasonable prices. Pool was nice - two separate pools one that more for kids and one for adults. Wait staff on had for cocktails poolside. All staff polite and accommodating - we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will come back.

Stayed: March 2008
3  Thank Beeper67
Reviewed 1 April 2008

We arrived to a check in wait of about 1 hour and there were only 5 guests in front of us. Waiting for food at any of their 3 eateries will take awhile as there is no hurry to feed you. We did complain about having to wait to check in and they did upgrade our room which was nice. Prices of food were out of line whith the normal traveler so bring extra money for food. The hotel had only 2 working elevaters which really was fustrating but on the last day they were working on the broken ones. Pool area was nice but the beach was a joke. Only about a hundred feet long and stuck back in a inlet. no real view and was very dirty. As far as entertainment goes there is none in the hotel other then the casino. The bar keeps playing this loud type of raggie music over and over not really appealing. Overall we would not stay there again

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank len6295
Reviewed 31 March 2008

Check In- A breeze we where up graded to a suite on the lagoon side.
Room-Beautiful expect a little far from main hotel but we decided not to change,bed was great ,balcony small ,no wet bar but there is a fridge just went to store and stocked up.The bathroom and the room was in great shape everything was very clean alot of closet space and safe.
Hotel-Like I said we where on the lagoon side and everything happens on the other side,the lobby and the hotel are decorated Art deco style and very Beautiful.
Pools and Beach-Two pools at main hotel one salt water which is 6 feet deep and cold the other is regular pool water with bar and slide very nice.Beach is small but on the lagoon so very still no waves which is great because the Hotel beachs are so rough ,I never would try to swim there.
Bar and Food-Only ate and drank at the pool bar and cafe very good but way over priced not even South Beach prices. A beer local 6 dollars and Rum mixed drink 10 Dollars.
Old San Juan -Went twice once by Taxi and by car rental , is beautiful but lacks turistic directin.
Yunque Rain Forest-Went by rent a car that we rented from Enterprice in the lagoon side lobby-The waterfall are amazing but a lot of walking and climbing.Now on are way down from the forest at Km 6 we stopped at great small Resturant with typical
PR food it was the best food of the whole trip.

Check out-Was the only Bad experince we had that did upset me a lot,as we were asking for the taxi leaving the hotel for airport I was running a little behind( 1:20 pm plane leaves at 2:55pm) a Doorman had about 7 people or party's waiting and calling one taxi at a time so he could make the tip ask him nicly if he could hurry as I needed to be airport and time was getting tight and his repley that should not have not waited so long to come to get a taxi.This doorman made me forget what a wonderful time we had at the condado Plaza.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank DRman
Reviewed 29 March 2008

Gorgeous hotel that clearly has made an effort to make San Juan an alternative to South Beach. Swanky lobby, colorful bar (Eternal Lounge) and spacious, comfortable rooms with great lighting made for a pleasant stay.

Had breakfast daily at Gusto D'Italia and snacks from poolside bar; from what my travel companions tell me, Striphouse was also worth a visit.

Only issue I had with property, which just went through a major renovation, was the trek from front desk to my room, which was in another tower. So up the stairs, past the casino, across skybride and up to my room I went, with my suitcase. Not fun. My bathroom was also emiting a funny odor at one point during my stay and it was the first thing I'd notice when I walked in.

Other than that, great property that is working out minor kinks. Highly recommend...it's on a great strip (Ashford Avenue) which is close to some of San Juan's best dining (Budatai, Ajili Mojili, South Beach)

Pool area was gorgeous and jacuzzi delightful.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends