“Lovely little cafe”

Price range: US$7 - US$14
Cuisines: Healthy, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Eat where the locals come when they visit Old San Juan. Located off the beaten path, this neighborhood bistro serves a range of creative dishes along with some comfort classics. Using fresh ingredients you can expect some great sandwiches, a selection of salads, fresh ceviche & quiche, yummy soups, and more.
Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

A trip to Old San Juan is never complete without lunch at St Germain and we have never been disappointed with the food. This time, I had the quiche and soup special, which came with a small side salad. The quiche was fresh and flavorful and the cauliflower/broccoli/carrot soup was likewise good. My husband had a chef salad, which filled a large plate with fresh ingredients. He claimed he would not be able to finish it, but somehow he managed! Service was friendly and attentive. The location is central and the setting itself is charming. Well worth a visit!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,429)

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

The food is good; the service is slow and inattentive.

We went there for Sunday brunch. The brunch includes one small plate, one main dish, one cold drink and one hot drink. We had the fruit plate (unnecessarily drizzled with honey and sprinkled with granola) and a croissant overstuffed with Nutella, the guava mimosas which were more guava than champagne, and ordered but never received hot tea.

For the main dish we had the poached eggs (a very small dish) and the croque madam, which was very heavy on the egg, but tasty.

We had to request water (which was never refilled), request silverware and napkins, and request the check. Our waitress barely noticed we were there.

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

We stopped here after touring El Morro on a Tuesday. It was recommended by our hotel, and the menu looked good. Unfortunately, we weren't able to try anything. As soon as we entered we were told by the staff "we're sorry we don't have any food right now". Wait, what!?! Yes, a restaurant with no food!! So we had to continue walking to find another restaurant to try....that had food! The place was cute and appeared clean, but obviously can't review the food.

1  Thank LanaC4
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Stopped in to see what the great reviews were about and ended up writing one myself.

This charming little Restaurant is located in the heart of Old San Juan. The manager on the ground level floor welcomed me and graciously took care of me. I had lunch twice at St Germains and maybe because of the enormous August heat, I had the awesome cobb salad with a light, crispy sparkling house wine followed by homemade carrot cake and fabulous coffee. The salad was fresh, had tons of crispy bacon, atacados, hard boiled egg and tomatoes etc. The service was excellent and always gracious. My second visit, just could not get enough of the salad and again, it was fabulous.

One review below mentioned the building's history so I had to really check this place out. The first floor is where I ate both times, floor two is darker, more intimate setting and I met the gracious, young chef who let me wander about even though they were not open. He showed me pictures of the activist who had lived on the second floor. I stood on the balcony where the activist had stood and faced American solders who pointed guns at him.

I then went up to the rooftop restaurant and was greeted by the gracious young chef whom I had met on my first visit. Again, he let me wander about and ask questions. Cocktails and more substantial food tends to be served on the 3rd level. Yes, they do have cocktail hour.

St Germain's is gracious, serves delicious food, and has a very interesting history behind it. Pricing was very reasonable. Enjoy.

Reviewed 14 August 2017

A short stroll from my hotel brought me to this Old San Juan neighborhood gem. The food, drink, atmosphere and music provided a relaxing setting after a day of exploring this beautiful and historic town. Aurelien, who runs the cafe, was very welcoming and accommodating in my meal selection. Please take a visit to this delightful cafe.