“Our first Mofongo”

Ranked #64 of 1,140 Restaurants in San Juan
Price range: US$25 - US$45
Cuisines: Puerto Rican
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Nested in the heart of the Historic Hotel El Convento, Patio del Nispero offers the perfect setting for a casual breakfast, lunch, Puerto Rican tapas, cocktails or a romantic dinner. A "must visit" during your visit in Puerto Rico.
Reviewed 18 December 2016

We are staying at Hotel El Convento and we were just a little early to check in, so we decided to grab a bite to eat while our room was readied. Chose to try out Patio del Nispero, situated in the center courtyard of the hotel. Above were ceiling fans to keep you cool and breezes blew in from the sea. The atmosphere is rather romantic...around you greenery and the balconies of the rooms above. Patio del Nispero advertises "Puerto Rican Food with a Moder Touch" so I decided to try the Mofongo...I chose it with strip steak and creole sauce...DELICIOUS...truly, so good. My wife had the Churrasco Tacos. We washed it all down with two chilled Magna beers. Service was impeccable and ever so friendly.

Reviewed 14 November 2016

we stayed at Hotel El Convento for 4 nights and had breakfast/brunch here each morning as part of their Fall Special. it was a real treat and a great start to our day.
the full breakfast was delicious and the portions just right. the restaurant staff were incredibly accommodating and warm to us and everyone we saw. they remembered our preferences despite the many guests they see. the managers also came around to check on everyone. their level of customer service is truly commendable and made for a wonderful trip.

Reviewed 18 September 2016

Disappointed of the "bacalaitos" heard so many good things about this appetizer and turn out to be just fried mashed potato with a sliver of "bacalau" (a dried salted cod - Norwegian fish) but we had this waiter (Marco) who was superb,my friends ordered the burger, and my hubby got the fish taco, with my bacalaitos I tasted the Medalia local beer, very good; for sure the ambiance (day time) would be more pleasant if they had some ceiling fans or even the nice floor fans blowing the 90º F degree weather with 79% humidity. But I would go back

Reviewed 14 August 2016

We ate four meals here – three breakfasts and one lunch. We were lucky to have had Mateo as our waiter for all but one occasion. Mateo is the pinnacle of class service and a gentleman to boot – the perfect match for Patio to Nispero.

The setting really can’t be beat. While some might complain that it’s outside and exposed to Puerto Rican heat, we really enjoyed the fact that it was outside and exposed to Puerto Rican heat! ;-) Honestly, the heat was never excessive. It’s in a courtyard, there are umbrellas blocking the sun, and diners get to soak up the ice water and excellent mojitos (during lunch) and listen to a discrete combination of tasteful operatic and jazz tunes while the staff does all the heavy lifting.

Our breakfasts weren’t the best ever, but they were ideal for us at the hotel. Mateo served us fresh squeezed orange juice, cappuccinos, and the equivalent value of an American breakfast. The only meal I didn’t enjoy was the scrambled eggs for my first breakfast. They were rubbery and slimy, and I wouldn’t recommend them. But my wife’s omelet on the other days was great, as were the sausages, and my banana walnut pancakes.

On our final day in Old San Juan, we ate lunch at Patio de Nispero and were fortunate to have Mateo again. This time, we indulged in a couple of absolutely sublime mojitos – prepared by none other than Mateo, himself. For a first course, we had the cold puree of local vegetables – like a green gazpacho. It was beautifully presented, and I’m sure it was extremely healthy, but as a master of soup cooking, I felt no urge to request the recipe. For a main course, we had fish tacos and shrimp mofungo with garlic sauce – easily the best mofungo of the trip!

Patio de Nispero isn’t cheap, but it’s good, so if you want excellent service and quality food in a calm, distinguished, unpretentious atmosphere, add it to your list.

3  Thank Cherry_Wonderdog
Reviewed 12 August 2016 via mobile

Why three stars and not two: Amazing setting, great location in Old San Juan, right across from the oldest church in the Americas (1521, then rebuilt in 1540), El Convento is a converted convent first built in 1634 and then rehabbed in 1962 by Woolworth (and then again in 1990). The courtyard is quiet and a wonderful place to sit. The drinks are strong and well made. Now... On to what you should not do. The salad was average and the appetizers, which are simple and I hardly think are capable of being screwed up, were horrible. More than a third of the the "chicken bites" we're nothing more than gristle. The service was actually bad, unlike most of Puerto Rico, where the service has generally been amazing if not better than most Caribbean Islands. There were a total of two sets of diners and two servers. Despite having what should have been a single server dedicated to your table (who was very nice), he would disappear for 20 minutes at a time. A quick snack lunch and drinks turned into an hour and half of waiting and spitting out bad food, made up for by good strong drinks. Bottom line. Get drinks. Don't eat here.