Many factors were out of the management's control, such as our Sunday 6 pm arrival, the massive rains, the dense population of mosquitos, and inept transportation. However, the response from Piper's Cove to these, and many other, challenges was underwhelming.
After traveling for 12 hours, my children and I were tired, hot and hungry. Since the kitchen staff had left for the day, the owner commanded the front desk attendant to take us out to get food, rather than perhaps bringing some food that required no cooking, such as fruits or bread, from the kitchen. Instead, we were driven to a nearby crowded and dirty grocery and greasy spoon, being reminded by the driver that he should have been off work already, and then charging us $10 for the ride. After so many years in hospitality, I would expect them to anticipate these common travel needs and be prepared to receive us. We did not feel to be valued guests from the first impression.
The next morning, I ordered the Jamaican breakfast, which proved to be the highlight of our stay. It was unsavory to drink from the tap all week, but I learned quickly not to bother the staff, who rarely smiled, interacted with us, or volunteered assistance with anything.
We had the unit with the best view of the ocean, but the wifi was dodgy, the shower was a cold trickle, and the bedroom flooded through the window during one windy storm. We were offered the king sized bed in the adjacent unit, which normally fits my two kids and me. This, however, was not a king bed, but rather two twin beds pushed together, and I (barely) slept in the crack all night.
The taxi service the "resort" uses wanted to charge me an insulting $100 round trip to go into Ocho Rios, which smashed my confidence in their ability to recommend excursions. Unfortunately, I had already booked with the transportation agency arranged by the front desk, who showed up 2 hours after their promised time. It wasn't until the fourth phone call I urged them to make that action began to take place. I was disappointed to even have to ask for an alternative transportation to the airport. More adept and professional resort managers I've dealt with in my travels would have been one step ahead of me already.
I could go on, but suffice it to say, we will not return to Piper's Cove, if I can convince my kids to return to Jamaica at all. We might have saved a few dollars, but I'd rather to have paid for the relaxation of a vacation tended by individuals who have interest in our well-being. Perhaps I expected too much from this little Inn. It may be a better experience for a local who can be more self-sufficient in the dominant culture.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Piper's Cove is a tranquil ocean view resort located in a Cove along the magnificent Runaway Bay north coast in Jamaica. Warm, sunny tropical days with brilliant sunsets are the norm, with cool evenings and star filled nights. This unique property is family owned. It provides the perfect destination for your vacation. The hotel offers 14 spacious one bedroom Apartments with ocean or garden view, and 6 Studio Rooms with a view of the mountain. All are equipped for self-catering (kitchenette with refrigerator, stove and cooking utensils),air conditioning, ceiling fan, cable TV, intercom telephone and a patio. Free WiFi is available on property and in all guest rooms. A Restaurant (meals are prepared to order), Bar, Small Private Beach for relaxation & leisure, Swimming Pool are on property. Delicious, fresh and healthy Caribbean cuisine is the specialty of our culinary staff, featuring lots of seafood and delectable native fruits. If you have some particular preferences or dietary requirements, don't hesitate to ask. Our friendly staff always aim to please. Be sure to sample our special tropical drinks and Jamaica's world renowned rum. We take great pleasure in hosting your special occasions including Weddings, Receptions, Family Reunions, Luncheons & Parties. Piper's Cove is 60 minutes from the Montego Bay Airport, 25 minutes from Ocho Rios and Dunn's River Falls and close to many other attractions and entertainment for which we offer tours. Airport transfer can be arranged.At Piper's Cove Resort our guests set the pace for their vacation. Just let us know your speed... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Piper's Cove Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Piper`s Cove Hotel Runaway Bay
- Piper's Cove Resort Jamaica/Runaway Bay, Caribbean