“First, and Lasting, Impression”

Piper's Cove Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed 25 November 2017

Many factors were out of the management's control, such as our Sunday 6 pm arrival, the massive rains, the dense population of mosquitos, and inept transportation. However, the response from Piper's Cove to these, and many other, challenges was underwhelming.

After traveling for 12 hours, my children and I were tired, hot and hungry. Since the kitchen staff had left for the day, the owner commanded the front desk attendant to take us out to get food, rather than perhaps bringing some food that required no cooking, such as fruits or bread, from the kitchen. Instead, we were driven to a nearby crowded and dirty grocery and greasy spoon, being reminded by the driver that he should have been off work already, and then charging us $10 for the ride. After so many years in hospitality, I would expect them to anticipate these common travel needs and be prepared to receive us. We did not feel to be valued guests from the first impression.

The next morning, I ordered the Jamaican breakfast, which proved to be the highlight of our stay. It was unsavory to drink from the tap all week, but I learned quickly not to bother the staff, who rarely smiled, interacted with us, or volunteered assistance with anything.

We had the unit with the best view of the ocean, but the wifi was dodgy, the shower was a cold trickle, and the bedroom flooded through the window during one windy storm. We were offered the king sized bed in the adjacent unit, which normally fits my two kids and me. This, however, was not a king bed, but rather two twin beds pushed together, and I (barely) slept in the crack all night.

The taxi service the "resort" uses wanted to charge me an insulting $100 round trip to go into Ocho Rios, which smashed my confidence in their ability to recommend excursions. Unfortunately, I had already booked with the transportation agency arranged by the front desk, who showed up 2 hours after their promised time. It wasn't until the fourth phone call I urged them to make that action began to take place. I was disappointed to even have to ask for an alternative transportation to the airport. More adept and professional resort managers I've dealt with in my travels would have been one step ahead of me already.

I could go on, but suffice it to say, we will not return to Piper's Cove, if I can convince my kids to return to Jamaica at all. We might have saved a few dollars, but I'd rather to have paid for the relaxation of a vacation tended by individuals who have interest in our well-being. Perhaps I expected too much from this little Inn. It may be a better experience for a local who can be more self-sufficient in the dominant culture.

Room Tip: A3 is ocean and pool view. I don't think any of the others are?
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank yoga_diver
KurtLue, Owner at Piper's Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

We regret your visit to Pipers Cove did not meet your expectation.

Jamaica as you may know is a diverse, multi-cultural country. Pipers Cove hosts local and international guests year round and take pride in a warm Jamaican welcome to all our guests. Here, all guests are valued by management and housekeeping and we welcome every opportunity for the comfort and safety of our guests.

We were especially looking forward to your visit, as you were introduced to Cove by a guest who had stayed many times with us and thought the facility would be ideal for you and your family.

While we acknowledge your perception, you should know that all our actions were well intended and meant to be helpful in resolving your issues as they occurred.

For clarification, however, we would like to address your comments:
late arrivals after full meal service has ended usually have the option of having a meal off-site at local restaurants, purchasing their own food products for in-apartment kitchen preparation, or requesting a light menu of sandwiches/salads (depending on the lateness of the hour). In your case, a full meal was preferred and, as a courtesy, your request was facilitated by our off-duty driver since the restaurant was only a five-minute drive. We did mention there was no fee for the service but that a gratuity to the driver would be appreciated.

Mosquitos are generally not a problem except after heavy rains and we have been experiencing quite a bit of rain so room are sprayed on a consistent basis (except for those with noted allergies) and as part of the house keeping routine, when guests are away from their room. In your case, once we were aware of the problem requiring additional attention, the apartment was promptly spayed and we continued the practice for the duration of your stay.

In recent years, as an energy-conscious facility, Pipers Cove converted to solar-powered hot water heating, and pressure is really good. During your stay there were no complaints either from you or other guests regarding water temperature or pressure.

Just so you know, Jamaica’s tap water is reliable and safe to drink. At Pipers Cove however, bottled water is available for purchase and is displayed with other cold beverages in the office area, for those with a personal preference for bottled water.

We appreciated having you and your family at Pipers Cove and wish you all the best for 2018 .

Daisy Chin,
Owner

Reviewed 7 November 2017

Not your usual luxury but it is affordable, clean and adequate for a short stay. The beach is small but the property is beautiful and well maintained. Love the privacy and intimate setting off the busy road. Perfect spot for a good sunrise or sunset dinner by the pool. The food is finger licking delicious and worth bragging about. Try the stuff snapper with callaloo, it's to die for. Everything I ordered was wonderful including the Jamaican breakfast. Compliments to to the lady chef and the wonderful customer service from the ladies at the front desk. I will definitely come back.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 November 2017

My family and I stayed for about a week. The price was very affordable for ocean view. The grounds were clean and well kept. The pool and private beach area are perfect for relaxation. The meals were made to order. I enjoyed the Jamaican breakfast and soup. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The only issue with the room was the shower water pressure. A usable kitchen was provide which we took advantage of. The staff was very friendly and ready to assist us with our needs. I will definitely visit again and recommend this vacation spot.

Room Tip: Ocean view
Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2017

Returned to Piper's Cove for a one-night stay this weekend. There is constant upgrading here and I had not been there for nearly 2 years. The new pathways are very attractive and the beach area now has a grabrail with the steps into the sea. We were able to stay in A3 which is upstairs at the front with a lovely view of the sea. As there were 3 of us an extra bed made up in the living room. The whole apartment is very spacious and the kitchen quite functional. Glasses and china and cutlery are minimal, but extras are easily available on request. The Jamaican breakfast is absolutely huge, so I would recommend sharing, or ordering something smaller. Looking forward to taking family there in a few months' time.

Room Tip: Front two suites - A3 and D3 have a great sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
KurtLue, Front Office Manager at Piper's Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit us again, and to air your views. We appreciate all comments as they assist us in improving our product. We look forward to welcoming you back soon...

Reviewed 30 August 2017

Lovely and well-kept place with beautiful gardens. We had a big room with kitchen, garden view, very quiet, clean and spacious. The staff is extremely friendly and the food, though a bit overpriced, delicious (we especially liked the pancakes). The beach is small but beautiful and the atmosphere very relaxing. A definite plus is the snorkeling - you can start right from the beach and see a great amount of fish, and if you are a good swimmer, you can swim out to the reef, which is amazing. Also, the wifi worked perfectly most of the time, which cannot be taken for granted in Jamaica. We can definitely recommend staying at Piper's cove, it was one of the best hotels we stayed at in Jamaica.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tabea T

Your kind words welcome. Thanks for the recommendation, and taking the time to do the review.