“How can I say it any better than those who have gone before?”
Review of Citronella

We can't find prices for this hotel
Citronella
Ranked #47 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 25 July 2015

When searching for a hotel in the Negril area, I researched many different hotels by reading the Trip Advisor reviews. I chose Citronella because of the unanimously positive reviews that it received. I admit that I can be a bit of a princess, and love a Ritz Carlton more than your average traveller. However, I did NOT want a cookie cutter all inclusive hotel experience on Seven Mile beach. We wanted privacy, charm and killer views. That is exactly what Citronella delivers. Collette is the chef and she is simply amazing! We sampled other local restaurants as it's fun to do so, but her cuisine beat the others (LTU, Tensing Pen, Catch A falling Star to name a few) hands down. She will literally cook you what ever you would like to have for dinner with advance notice in the morning. Trevor is delightful and helpful as well. We are here July 20-27. I was a little worried about mosquitos, thundersorms, high heat at this time of the year so I'll address that for the other "princesses". It is hot, but it has not been a problem as there are lovely ocean breezes as you are right above the water. There have been 2 showers while we have been here which passed through quickly. No Mosquitos that I have noticed. Perhaps the ceiling fans have discouraged that. I love my air-conditioning, but I have slept just fine without it. It's wonderful to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean pounding against the cliffs. We were in Cave House and in my opinion,(not having stayed in another cottage mind you) it is the most private and has the best vantage point. Lots of windows on all sides to let in the light and fresh air. It has a lovely shaded porch with a hammock and lots of seating. The outdoor shower on the steps leading to the sea was a big plus. Terrific water pressure and very private. an added bonus was the beautiful coral reef which is right underneath the ladder to get into the ocean. I would have jumped into the sea if I had to, but with a snorkel mask and fins on, I preferred not. The water is SO clear here, much more so than in Bermuda I found. Wonderful snorkeling can and if you are a diver, you Will love it here. We went to Seven Mile beach for the day and enjoyed the outing. It is a beautiful beach no doubt. However, there is nothing to look at when snorkeling as there is no coral reef there. We definitely plan to return to Citronella!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sladeatlanta

Reviewed 8 July 2015

My wife and I had booked with Citronella about a year in advance of our 25th wedding anniversary. We were looking for something that was quiet and away from the resort crowds. My husband and I aren’t big drinkers, and so an all-inclusive resort didn’t really fit us. My husband came across Citronella after reading through other Trip Advisor postings, and after looking at pictures of the different houses on the property, we immediately fell in love and couldn’t wait to make arrangements.

After numerous conversations with Cathy, one of the owners, we booked the Round House for June 22-30 and counted down the days until our Jamaican vacation.

Upon our arrival at Citronella, we were warmly greeted by Trevor, the all-around guy that can help you with anything from bags to locating a taxi. Trevor showed us to the Round House, and we were stunned by the jaw-dropping view of the ocean!! The upstairs master bedroom was perfect, the outdoor shower with an ocean view, the private access to the water, the wide deck for sunning and sitting, the hammocks strategically placed for anytime comfort...every bit of it was absolutely stunning and gorgeous!.

Keep in mind that this is not an air-conditioned, commercialized resort for the masses, but a very small, quaint location where you can be as busy or as lazy as you wish. WIth only 5 houses on the property, we didn’t encounter many people in the 8 days of our visit. The Round House had no glass windows, only wooden shutters to block out rain if needed (which we didn’t), and the doors open out to the wide deck for you to take in the salty air and sunshine. When you lie in bed at night, you can hear the ocean waves crashing against the cliffs on which the property sits.

There is a central “meeting” area for guests. This is where you have access to WiFi, books, board games, and food, if you choose. Colette, the manager of Citronella as well as the WONDERFUL chef, was available every morning to cook breakfast from 8-11 a.m. for a fee, as this is not an all-inclusive resort. Her daughter Timone was on hand occasionally (mostly during breakfast meals) to serve meals and to provide yet another bright smile in your day. If you want to eat lunch or dinner at this meeting area, all you have to do is let Colette know what you want, and she gets the ingredients at the market, fresh that day, and prepares the meal for you. You honestly don’t ever have to leave the resort...her cooking is THAT good!

Guests are given a key to their house for the stay, as well as a key to the gate that secures the property. No one can get through the gate without a key as it is locked 24 hours a day. There are also 2 very friendly Jamaican dogs that patrol the grounds, night and day. I honestly felt 100% safe for the entire visit, and the doors to the Round House were rarely closed and locked (only when we left for the mornings to go scuba diving).

The entire staff was as friendly as you can possibly imagine!! The owners of Citronella responded promptly as we worked out our reservations before arriving at Negril, and each of them made sure to stop by after we had arrived in the Round House to make sure we had everything that we needed. Trevor, as mentioned before, was there for ANYTHING that we needed, and he always had a smile and a bright “Hello” for us whenever we saw him on the path to the Round House. Colette and Timone, likewise, were friendly, polite, and all smiles every, single day. Housekeeping service was impeccable. After the first day, they magically knew when we’d be gone, and they would tidy up the place a bit for us, even doing the few dishes in the sink that we may have left behind.

Overall, an AMAZING experience, and my husband and I are already trying to decide when we can go back to Jamaica. I’m not even going to to think about looking at any other resort because Citronella truly feels like home. I was even hesitant to post this review… I’m a little jealous for anyone that stays at Citronella without me.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nelson G
Reviewed 16 June 2015

My husband and I were recently married at Citronella and it was amazing! I did so much research on hotels in this area and I know I made the right decision choosing Citronella. The natural beauty of this place is breathtaking and the prices are affordable. The staff is outstanding! They made us feel so at home. Trevor was there when we arrived to greet us and help us with our bags. Both Trevor and Adrian were always around to answer any questions and help with anything that we needed.

We had a small wedding with only 12 guests. Everyone stayed at Citronella so we had the entire property to ourselves. I really wanted a private and intimate wedding and that is exactly what I got! We got married right on the side of the cliff at a point that sticks out into the ocean. Citronella allowed me to bring in a wedding planner so I hired Isabelle from Weddings by Isabelle. She did a great job coordinating everything that we needed and she did all of the setup for our wedding.

There is a restaurant at Citronella called the Great House where we had our reception. Colette cooked us a family style meal. We had lobster, steak, jerk chicken and red snapper along with some delicious sides. Colette is so kind and welcoming and she is an amazing cook. The food was incredible! Later, we had dancing under the stars on the deck that is attached to the Great House. The Great House is on top of a cave and there is a big hole next to the deck that goes all the way down to water so you can hear the waves crashing, it was so cool! We invited the staff to come dance with us and Colette's daughter taught us some dance moves. Even the resident dog joined in! We had a great time!

This is the most beautiful and relaxing place that I have ever been and I feel so lucky to have been married here. We are so looking forward to coming back every year to celebrate our anniversary. I can't thank Citronella and all of the staff enough for the hospitality and all they did for us. This place is truly one of a kind and I am so grateful that it will forever hold a special place in our hearts!

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank iluvcr2006
Reviewed 25 May 2015

beautiful, dramatic, rustic, cozy paradise on the cliffs of Negril. relax as much as you desire overlooking stunning views to help you feel transported… then take a dip in the clear blue sea to refresh and feel like a mermaid.
felt like we were in Greece.
one word…. Go!

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank gregorymdi
Reviewed 25 May 2015

From the moment the gates opens you begin to relax from the beauty that surrounds Citronella. The grounds are beautiful, the view from the cliffs is breathtaking. If you want a quiet, beautiful, romantic getaway or some time away with good friends, this is the place to be. Away from all the crowds, yet close enough if you want the beach and more action. We prefer the quiet peaceful place that a Citronella is. Colette is an amazing chef and we totally recommend breakfast and her dinners are amazing. The staff is attentive and will be able to pretty much get anything you need.

Without a doubt when coming to Negril, citronella is where you need to stay.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple