“Great value all-inclusive located close to entertainment venues on 7-Mile Beach”

Grand Pineapple Beach Negril
Ranked #41 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 17 January 2016

This was our second visit to Grand Pineapple. We stayed 14 nights from 12/27/15 to 1/10/16. If you are looking for a reasonably-priced all-inclusive, this is a great option in Negril. Some of the things we like about it are:

1. Great location - within walking distance to entertainment venues including Alfred's Ocean Palace, Roots Bamboo, and Bourbon Beach. These three venues are where many of the big reggae shows are held in Negril.

2. Friendly, professional, and accommodating staff - This resort is owned by the Sandals Corporation. And while it is moderately priced and a value property, the Sandals training is visible in the actions of the staff members. They frequently engage in conversations and are happy to assist you with anything you need. Some examples are: I went to the dinner buffet one night to get plates of food to take back to our room. I had three plates of food, one plate of salad and two plates for the entrees. We were staying on the garden side, so I was wondering how I was going to manage these three plates of food along with the napkins and utensils. Suddenly appeared Ovardo asking if he could help me carry the plates. Another example was when I was preparing the plates. Marvette (one of the best bartenders on the property who was working as a server in the restaurant that night) asked me if I needed her to wrap the plates in plastic for transport. She quickly and efficiently wrapped the plates which made it easier to carry them. Another example would be one evening when I went to fill the ice bucket from the cooler stationed over on the garden side for our before-dinner cocktails. The cooler was empty. I mentioned to a staff member standing nearby that the cooler had no ice. He quickly volunteered to go across the street and fill our ice bucket for us. He then brought it back to our room to us.

3. Comfortable, quiet and peaceful garden side cottages - We opt to stay on the garden side of the resort. It is quiet there and very peaceful listening to the tree frogs at night out on the verandah. The pool is on this side of the resort, so it is easy to take a quick dip, if the mood hits. The spa is also on this side and offers massages along with nail and hair services. Housekeeping usually came early in the day and was efficient. They changed our sheets a few different times and even changed our bedspreads at one point during our stay. We always had plenty of clean towels. Even though you have to cross the busy street frequently when staying on the garden side, we don't mind, because the resort provides crossing guards to stop the traffic.

4. Good food served buffet-style for each meal - I usually got up earlier than my husband and went over to the beach to position our towels and beach chairs. Each morning I had a delicious omelet prepared by Angie who works the egg-station along with some fruit and coffee. I would take it out to beach and enjoy this peaceful time of morning. The water is glassy calm during this time of the day in Negril. There are very few people walking the beach, so it is a great way to ease into the day. Lunch is also buffet style and is usually something like jerk chicken, Jamaican beef patties, or other entrees along with the beautiful salad bar. There is always a variety of desserts available on the dessert table. You can also opt for burgers or hot dogs in the afternoon by ordering them at the bar. The dinner buffet usually offers at least one fish entree along with other entree options, the salad bar and the various dessert options.

5. A great beach - We love the beautiful beach at Grand Pineapple. There are three to four larger trees offering shade from the hot Caribbean sun. The sand is a beautiful, soft white with no stones or pebbles making it easy to go barefoot in and out of the water. The ocean floor here gently slopes, the water is crystal clear enabling you to easily see the bottom. The water is typically calmer in Negril throughout the day providing the opportunity to lazily float around on a raft without suddenly being tipped over or doused by a wave.

6. Great drinks at the bar - The bartenders had stepped up their service overall from our visit last year. We rarely had to wait long to get a drink. They were pleasant and fun and never seemed put out to wash out the thermos cups we had purchased in the gift shop. We always enjoyed talked to them and appreciated the fun environment they created out by the beach.

We once again enjoyed the location of the Grand Pineapple. We walked to Kuyaba for dinner one night for a change and afterwards went next door to Jamaica Tamboo to see a reggae concert. We enjoyed Alfred's music to the right next property over from GP and would definitely recommend checking the entertainment there. We also walked up to Roots Bamboo one night to see Luciano, a very popular reggae artist, and had no issues walking on the road. We also ate one night at Sweet Spot on the garden side to the right one night. Great fried chicken.

We enjoyed the repeater's dinner which is a special dinner prepared by the GP chef for returning guests. This is held on Tuesday evening. You should receive an invitation in your room either the evening prior or on Tuesday morning.

We did experience a few issues over our 14 days. But, for the price we paid and how much we enjoyed the resort, we would not let them keep us from returning. A few of the issues were:

1. Our toilet overflowed in Room 9 two to three times the first day and a half. They were quick to have someone come and clear out the drainage area outside behind the cottage and plunge the toilet. We had no further issues the rest of our stay.

2. They ran out of vodka and rum at the bar, but a shipment showed up in a few hours from the Beaches Resort which is also owned by Sandals and is just a few miles down the road.

3. The rolling cooler was out of ice on the garden side at least three to four days around the dinner cocktail hour.

4. Several of the chairs on the beach are starting to sag and need to be replaced. I would also recommend getting a few more side tables for the beach. Those tables were a hot commodity.

5. They now offer free Wi-Fi to everyone. Thank you! They also offer a premium Wi-Fi package. I purchased the Premium package the first week but not the second week. There was no difference. They were experiencing some issues with the Wi-Fi the day we arrived, so maybe there was an ongoing issue that could get corrected at some point which would make the premium package worth it.

Here are a few suggestions on items to bring with you to GP: a power strip for your room (we kept running out of plugs for all of our tools and devices), a float for the water (don't put it out under the lifeguard stand where other floats are sometimes stored. It disappeared about halfway through the trip.), a hat, not many dressier clothes for dinner (most people were dressed very casually at dinner), movies on your computer or iPhone and the attachments to play them on an HD TV (if you run into issues, there is a staff member there who is very knowledgeable about getting the adapter to work with the television - very appreciated!). Also, be aware that the lockbox is not large enough for your computer.

We love the staff at Grand Pineapple. They truly "make" the resort.

We would like to give a special shout out to the following staff members for making us feel very special and for contributing to a relaxing and recharging vacation for us: Marvette, Winston, Richard, Ovardo, Karl, Sean, Sherene, Jacqueline, Conrad, Craig Wilson, George (security), Courtney (the carver), James, Gregory, and Jeffet.

Thank you Grand Pineapple for a great vacation!

Room Tip: We like the garden side cottages at the back. They are quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
17  Thank GinSha1

Reviewed 16 January 2016

Loved the beach the best! We have never been to a beach where the guys can visit out in the water up to their shoulders and drink beer! I was able to float on an air mattress Hook my foot on the rope and have a nap! The water was clear, CALM, warm and beautiful. White sand no rocks you can walk for miles! There are 3 beautiful trees shading the beach area which was nice for the ones who don't like being in the direct sun. The Resort was small but perfect! And remember you are paying almost 1/2 the price to the price of other all inclusive resorts along Negril. You could get to know everyone that works at this resort along with all the guests which was very nice. We stayed across the street in the garden side and it was just fine, the security guards always got us across safely with no problems. Nights were quiet at this resort except for 2nights there was a band, otherwise nothing unless you walked down the beach to other music which we did not. Lots of drugs being sold and smoked right on our resort that had taken us a few days to get used to. So if you don't mind the guy next to you in his beach chair smoking weed or standing at the beach bar smoking it you will be ok. Just keep in mind there are dogs sniffing everyone's carry on at the airport!! Food was good we did not get tired of the food at all! We have travelled to many all inclusive resorts in Mexico and Dominican along with Hawaii this was by far the best beach ever if you just need a place to relax! Otherwise there are many other beautiful places on earth to visit and more things to do.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ilovevacation154913
Reviewed 13 January 2016 via mobile

This was my fifth stay at Grand Pineapple Negril and it was superb as usual! What seperates this hotel from any of the other properties along Seven Mile Beach is the location and the amazing staff. The Grand Pineapple is in the middle of Seven Mile Beach. This gives the guests the best of both worlds. If you want to leave the hotel and visit a local bar or walk around and absorb the culture, no problem there is plenty to do within walking distance. If you prefer to sun bathe in peace no problem, George the best security guard ever, will keep the beach vendors off property! Now the staff. I can not express how great it feels to have waiters, bar staff and even the maintance staff to welcome you back and go above and beyond to make your trip amazing! Big shout outs to Chris in the dining room, Jeffette at the bar, George keeping things in order at the beach, and Raymond in maintance for making our trip go off without a worry! I can not wait to go back next year!!

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
7  Thank hotgal
Reviewed 12 January 2016

Well this is our second stay at the Grand Pineapple. We visited December 26, 2015 until January 9, 2016. The weather was outstanding and the water glorious! This is my review stating the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
We arrived around dinner time on the 26th of Dec. Check-in went fairly smooth. We didn't have a welcome drink this time. They tried to put us in the Beachside Manor building first when we had booked a beachside cottage. I was surprised they didn't even check, just blindly handing us an envelope with the room keys. We were put into cottage 44 near the Manor building. It was fine. Smaller than the Beachside Cottage we stayed in last time. Would have been nicer to have the extra room when there were 3 of us. We also ordered a fridge for our room and were told they would bring it immediately. We had been travelling since 7 am that morning and we had extremely expensive medication that had to be refridgerated. After a few hours I had to ask again. The guy that was doing it was just hanging at the end of the counter doing nothing. So an hour later it showed up. We assumed it was on, he plugged it in, but no, it wasn't and we didn't notice until the next morning when it should have chilled down. We waited another day and went and asked when they were going to stock it since we ordered it stocked. Again, same guy hanging at the end the counter was asked about it and he was going to do it right away. A few hours later it arrived outside our door in a plastic bin. So all was well.
Our room was on the second floor which was what we wanted. Room 44 is not the room you want if you want to sleep in or go to bed early. The road noise is loud, the trolleys are going back and forth from very early in the morning with towels or what ever. The room is also close to the garbage so sitting outside on the balcony was dicey. We were not in our room very much anyway. Just a heads up for other people.
We were so happy to have basic WiFi free this time! It is about time! Especially since almost everyone else offers it free. A welcome addition for sure.
Food : the food has declined consideralby in the 2 years since we were there. Very bland and trying to please the American taste buds. We personally want to experience the traditional food of any country we are visiting. Can get bland food anywhere at home. The New Years meal was wonderful and set up beautifully. The welcome back dinners were good. One night they even had a sax player! So very nice. We didn't get invitations under the door for these dinners this time. Heard about them by word of mouth.
Bar: Well Marvette, Winston, Jeffet, and Ghavri rule! They are lots of fun as usual and will make you whatever you want providing they have it at the time. They do run out of things like rum cream, red stripe light etc. The pop machine and the blender broke while we were there. Yet they all keep smiling.
The wait staff were pretty good too. Not the fastest but who cares!
Now the Ugly : the beach chairs. OMG are they in rough shape. Ripped, broken, and sagging beyond what you would think possible. I was almost thinking of putting a Jar on the bar asking for donations towards new chairs. They are the worst on the beach! That is no exageration!
The Ugliest of the Ugly : this would be the wine. Remember the worst homemade wine that your Uncle made in a dark basement long ago that stunk like rotten fermented apples? Well the red and white they are serving now are worse. I was shocked. They are Chilean wines. Now we all know that Chile makes some really good cheap wines. These are not them. The white is off for sure. If they paid a dollar per bottle, they paid too much. I would have happily paid 8 or 10 dollars a glass for something drinkable. I was always surprised to see that some people would be drinking this crap. We had a lot of conversations with guests discussing how incredibly horrible the wine was. I went out and bought my own.
Beach: outstanding, beautiful, perfect...what else can I say.
Harrassment on the Beach: At an all time high. Not from the regular salepeople but from the illegal ones selling ghanja and cocaine, massages, some jewelery etc. After 2 weeks I was pretty sick of the same people asking me the same questions. I try to keep my head down when walking on the beach. They are really ruining it for the tourists and the legit salespeople. All day everyday. They are lined up like a football defense line in front of the hotel at night, every night waiting to score a sale. This is the wrong hotel for that! Maybe look for a younger crowd.
Security: Good at both the front and the back. Always wanted to know our room number and where we were going. Very pleasant.
Overall: I would reccommend the Grand Pineapple. This is a solid 3 star hotel. There is good and bad. The staff on the resort are wonderful. They will go out of their way to please you. The smoking problem we experienced last time has been resolved. People around the bar were very considerate smokers and stayed outside the cover. Mind you other people complained of their rooms smelling like ashtrays. Ours did not, only the picture in our room stunk of smoke. I brought a plug in air freshener and didn't end up using it! I am not sure if we would go back. We were sick of the food after 1 day. For us, this is unusual. We are not fussy. Stick with the burgers at lunch.

Room Tip: Do not book Beachside Cottage 44. If you do you may as well stay in the Manor and save some money. L...
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
6  Thank MARGARET0560
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2016

Hello Margaret,
Thank you for reaching out to us.
We were truly sorry to hear that your most recent stay did not meet your expectations and if any aspect of your stay was not to your liking. We will be sharing your comments with the resort's management team to ensure that we are providing our guests with excellent service and a comfortable environment to enjoy. While the beaches are public and we are unable to ban individuals from this area, we do encourage our guests to speak with our security team should they feel uncomfortable with their surroundings for any reason. Guest safety is our number one priority and we can also involve the local authorities if we are informed about such individuals. We hope this has not deterred you from visiting in the future as we would like an opportunity to redeem ourselves on your next visit.

Reviewed 11 January 2016

We typically stay at Sandals, but thought we would give this place a try as this was an "extra" trip to run in the Reggae Marathon. Overall, I think this place is a good deal for the price.

Dislikes: Food was boring and sometimes bland. Grill service was a little slow. Some bar drinks not avaliable. The AC unit was noisy and needs to be replaced.

Likes: clean room. Friendly service. Perfect beach. Great atmosphere.

Yeah, you have the annoying beach front traffics, but they will ignore you if you ignore them. The location is near Times Square for shopping and other local shops. Security was great and I always felt safe. I would come back if I need another "extra" trip to Negril.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Afred007

Hi there and thank you for your review of Grand Pineapple Negril.
It seems like you had a great vacation overall and we are very glad that you had a chance to experience our quaint resort. Having said that, we understand that some other aspects of your stay were not quite as expected and for this we do apologize. We are grateful that you have taken the time to share your input however, as we realize that such helpful insights can certainly contribute to our ongoing improvement efforts. All of your feedback is most appreciated and we hope to have you as a guest again in the future for an even better experience next time.