This was our second visit to Grand Pineapple. We stayed 14 nights from 12/27/15 to 1/10/16. If you are looking for a reasonably-priced all-inclusive, this is a great option in Negril. Some of the things we like about it are:
1. Great location - within walking distance to entertainment venues including Alfred's Ocean Palace, Roots Bamboo, and Bourbon Beach. These three venues are where many of the big reggae shows are held in Negril.
2. Friendly, professional, and accommodating staff - This resort is owned by the Sandals Corporation. And while it is moderately priced and a value property, the Sandals training is visible in the actions of the staff members. They frequently engage in conversations and are happy to assist you with anything you need. Some examples are: I went to the dinner buffet one night to get plates of food to take back to our room. I had three plates of food, one plate of salad and two plates for the entrees. We were staying on the garden side, so I was wondering how I was going to manage these three plates of food along with the napkins and utensils. Suddenly appeared Ovardo asking if he could help me carry the plates. Another example was when I was preparing the plates. Marvette (one of the best bartenders on the property who was working as a server in the restaurant that night) asked me if I needed her to wrap the plates in plastic for transport. She quickly and efficiently wrapped the plates which made it easier to carry them. Another example would be one evening when I went to fill the ice bucket from the cooler stationed over on the garden side for our before-dinner cocktails. The cooler was empty. I mentioned to a staff member standing nearby that the cooler had no ice. He quickly volunteered to go across the street and fill our ice bucket for us. He then brought it back to our room to us.
3. Comfortable, quiet and peaceful garden side cottages - We opt to stay on the garden side of the resort. It is quiet there and very peaceful listening to the tree frogs at night out on the verandah. The pool is on this side of the resort, so it is easy to take a quick dip, if the mood hits. The spa is also on this side and offers massages along with nail and hair services. Housekeeping usually came early in the day and was efficient. They changed our sheets a few different times and even changed our bedspreads at one point during our stay. We always had plenty of clean towels. Even though you have to cross the busy street frequently when staying on the garden side, we don't mind, because the resort provides crossing guards to stop the traffic.
4. Good food served buffet-style for each meal - I usually got up earlier than my husband and went over to the beach to position our towels and beach chairs. Each morning I had a delicious omelet prepared by Angie who works the egg-station along with some fruit and coffee. I would take it out to beach and enjoy this peaceful time of morning. The water is glassy calm during this time of the day in Negril. There are very few people walking the beach, so it is a great way to ease into the day. Lunch is also buffet style and is usually something like jerk chicken, Jamaican beef patties, or other entrees along with the beautiful salad bar. There is always a variety of desserts available on the dessert table. You can also opt for burgers or hot dogs in the afternoon by ordering them at the bar. The dinner buffet usually offers at least one fish entree along with other entree options, the salad bar and the various dessert options.
5. A great beach - We love the beautiful beach at Grand Pineapple. There are three to four larger trees offering shade from the hot Caribbean sun. The sand is a beautiful, soft white with no stones or pebbles making it easy to go barefoot in and out of the water. The ocean floor here gently slopes, the water is crystal clear enabling you to easily see the bottom. The water is typically calmer in Negril throughout the day providing the opportunity to lazily float around on a raft without suddenly being tipped over or doused by a wave.
6. Great drinks at the bar - The bartenders had stepped up their service overall from our visit last year. We rarely had to wait long to get a drink. They were pleasant and fun and never seemed put out to wash out the thermos cups we had purchased in the gift shop. We always enjoyed talked to them and appreciated the fun environment they created out by the beach.
We once again enjoyed the location of the Grand Pineapple. We walked to Kuyaba for dinner one night for a change and afterwards went next door to Jamaica Tamboo to see a reggae concert. We enjoyed Alfred's music to the right next property over from GP and would definitely recommend checking the entertainment there. We also walked up to Roots Bamboo one night to see Luciano, a very popular reggae artist, and had no issues walking on the road. We also ate one night at Sweet Spot on the garden side to the right one night. Great fried chicken.
We enjoyed the repeater's dinner which is a special dinner prepared by the GP chef for returning guests. This is held on Tuesday evening. You should receive an invitation in your room either the evening prior or on Tuesday morning.
We did experience a few issues over our 14 days. But, for the price we paid and how much we enjoyed the resort, we would not let them keep us from returning. A few of the issues were:
1. Our toilet overflowed in Room 9 two to three times the first day and a half. They were quick to have someone come and clear out the drainage area outside behind the cottage and plunge the toilet. We had no further issues the rest of our stay.
2. They ran out of vodka and rum at the bar, but a shipment showed up in a few hours from the Beaches Resort which is also owned by Sandals and is just a few miles down the road.
3. The rolling cooler was out of ice on the garden side at least three to four days around the dinner cocktail hour.
4. Several of the chairs on the beach are starting to sag and need to be replaced. I would also recommend getting a few more side tables for the beach. Those tables were a hot commodity.
5. They now offer free Wi-Fi to everyone. Thank you! They also offer a premium Wi-Fi package. I purchased the Premium package the first week but not the second week. There was no difference. They were experiencing some issues with the Wi-Fi the day we arrived, so maybe there was an ongoing issue that could get corrected at some point which would make the premium package worth it.
Here are a few suggestions on items to bring with you to GP: a power strip for your room (we kept running out of plugs for all of our tools and devices), a float for the water (don't put it out under the lifeguard stand where other floats are sometimes stored. It disappeared about halfway through the trip.), a hat, not many dressier clothes for dinner (most people were dressed very casually at dinner), movies on your computer or iPhone and the attachments to play them on an HD TV (if you run into issues, there is a staff member there who is very knowledgeable about getting the adapter to work with the television - very appreciated!). Also, be aware that the lockbox is not large enough for your computer.
We love the staff at Grand Pineapple. They truly "make" the resort.
We would like to give a special shout out to the following staff members for making us feel very special and for contributing to a relaxing and recharging vacation for us: Marvette, Winston, Richard, Ovardo, Karl, Sean, Sherene, Jacqueline, Conrad, Craig Wilson, George (security), Courtney (the carver), James, Gregory, and Jeffet.
Thank you Grand Pineapple for a great vacation!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The All-inclusive Grand Pineapple Beach Resort Negril is authentically Caribbean architecture featuring gingerbread trim and bright colors in this intimate, low-key resort.The resort’s 14 multi colored cottages and Manor rooms bring back memories of Jamaica’s Old Plantation Great Houses with their spectrum of colors in over 4 acres of luscious gardens drenched in privacy, creating a peaceful retreat as far from everything as you care to be.The cottages are complimented by two blocks of manor rooms on the Beach and Garden side of the resort, each replicating the past Jamaican architectural magnificence. The Resort is moderately priced, catering to singles, couples and families alike. This quiet oasis is the essence of Negril...casual, relaxed, laidback and unhurried. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Alpha Holidays Limited and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Grand Pineapple Beach Negril reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.