My husband and I just returned from this hotel and we loved it! We have stayed at many all inclusive resorts and this one was by far our favourite!
The staff were wonderful. All staff were very friendly - right from the guy raking the beach each morning to the wait staff and front desk employees. The maids were very helpful as well. Each employee we met asked us how our stay in Jamaica was.
Some of the things we loved about this hotel:
Size -- it's smaller and compact. We don't like a hotel that takes 10 mins to get to the beach. We had an ocean front room and you could hear the waves crashing from our room. So relaxing!
Food - everything was excellent. Buffet was great with lots of choices, We went to the Japenese, Steakhouse, and Italian and enjoyed each of them. My husband really enjoyed the jerk chicken hut at the beach. Lots of drink choices as well - brand name alcohol was a big plus!
Beach - we come from PEI, Canada - so we are used to wonderful sandy beaches. This beach was excellent. Lots of room to go for a long walk, water was clear and calm. Unlike some visitors who complained about the beach vendors, we didn't mind them at all. They are not permitted to walk up to your chair and if you tell them politely you're not interested in their product, it's fine.
We went on the Wildthing - boat trip to Rick's Café and Margaritaville. It was excellent. $50 per person and they pick you up directly on the beach at 12:30 and return time is roughly 6:30.
If there was anything to complain about this resort is the lack of washroom facilities close to the pool/beach area. Plus our shuttle from the airport was very long and tedious. If I was going to return to this hotel (which I plan on!) we would take a cab from the airport.
It was our first time in Jamaica, and I looked at a lot of reviews before I chose a hotel. I do tend to take the reviews with a grain of salt - some people complain about everything and are never happy! I can honestly say we made a great choice in this hotel. I would definitely go back and would recommend it to other people.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 24-hour All Inclusive Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel opens year round and is located on Jamaica's west coast in the tourist area of Negril on the island's longest and most beautiful Bloody Bay beach. RIU Palace is the most elegant category in the RIU hotel chain, with hotels that meet the highest standards in terms of luxury, excellence and sophistication, creating a unique experience. The location is ideal due to its proximity to Sangster Montego Bay Airport MBJ (80 km) and Negril (6 km) and invites you to explore the area. The hotel has 416 cozily furnished rooms with free Wi-Fi and offers many amenities. Relax in our spa area or get in shape at the gym. 2 outdoor pools and 1 children's pool. Day and evening entertainment. For lovers of gastronomy, we offer live cooking stations at our main buffet restaurant, Italian and Japanese, Fusion restaurants and Steakhouse, as well as 4 bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Jamaica
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril Jamaica
- Negril Riu Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Jamaica
- Riu Tropical Jamaica