All reviews fresh fruit security guard love negril never felt unsafe extra towels frozen drinks red stripe plenty of chairs big shout mango ocean front great vacation jerk chicken merrill locals beach jamaica
Reviewed 20 October 2017

I spent a week in Jamaica and split my stay (3 nights on the 7 mile beach, 3 nights on the cliffs of Jamaica, about a 10 minute drive). I visited Merril's September 2017 as a young solo female traveler and although I will be revisiting Jamaica, I will not be seeing Merril's again.

I loved the room which included all tile floors, great lighting, powerful air conditioning, and a safe. However, the staff were HORRENDOUS. Not only were the female staff members in the kitchen (kitchen/dining area only) rude, but they were so unwelcoming.

The food/drink package was a joke. I am pretty laid back on food choices, but there were plenty of times I went to bed hungry, thank gosh for the mangos at breakfast. The drinks from the bar were gross, and my friends consider me a "lightweight" as I am not hard to please when it comes to alcoholic drinks.

I was so happy on my last day to be going to a different hotel, I am thankful I split my stay between two places or I would of really had a disappointing trip.

Room Tip: Be careful with how you store your items in the safe, my debit card was damaged.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Brianna M
waynedaley26, Front Office Manager at Merrils Beach Resort II, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2017

Good day and thanks for the time taken to write your review however we are disappointed that you did not find your stay with us fulfilling or more so did not bring you concerns to our attention whilst here so remedial actions could have been taken. we do indeed try to make every guest feel as comfortable as possible and to cater to individual needs as much as we can. we are hoping you will have a change of heart and revisit us in the near future.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

The customer service was good. The supervisor for the dining area is very professional and I like the white-looking guy that works there as well. The lady in the reception area is really nice as well. The room was okay but needs maintenance since some of the windows need to be fixed or replaced. Both beds in the room (904) didn't provide the same level of comfort since I could barely sleep the first night but when I switched beds I was good for the night while my roommate had the same issues I had the night before. The garbage receptacle between Merrils II and Merrils III needs to be dealt with because it really stinks,. The garbage must be placed in plastic bags because when it rain the garbage water seeps out onto the roadside leaving a nasty odour to permeate the air, The food was mostly great but a wider variety in the menu would be nice (more curried, fried, brownstewed chicken, etc). Greater care must be taken as it relates to the food preparation (Jerk Chicken and jerk pork should not be prepared on the same grill...certain religious groups classify meats as clean and unclean therefore contamination of guests food is inevitable with practices like that). The dessert items need improvement and occasionally the drinks tasted a bit stale which indicated that the storage container needed to be cleaned or the storage conditions weren't up to standard.The seaweed in the water at the beach was a turnoff for me so it would be nice if it could be removed. My overall experience was good. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Merrils 1(one) seems more upscale
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Zarier N
waynedaley26, Front Office Manager at Merrils Beach Resort II, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2018

Thank you for the time taken to post your review and we truly appreciate your commentary and also constructive critique.

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

This was a lovely experience it wasn't huge, but quite lovely the food and drinks was awesome. The staff was tremendous awwww the beach beautiful I'll definitely visit again.one of my favorite places to from now on.

Stayed: June 2017
2  Thank derrondr
waynedaley26, Front Office Manager at Merrils Beach Resort II, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2017

hank you for your favorable response and review and we are undoubtedly looking forward to hosting you again

Reviewed 9 July 2017

This is a great little beach-side resort. We stayed for 3 nights in mid-May for a girl's trip (just 2 of us) for my birthday and overall enjoyed our stay. If you go to Negril, I would recommend staying here or at another small resort on 7-mile Beach. Don't lock yourself into a luxury resort for your entire stay and miss out on meeting the wonderful and friendly locals, and experiencing the unique culture that is Jamaica.

Beach:
The beach is outstanding at this resort and all along the coast. And the beach-side bars are a must! Mingle with the locals at Alfred's (AMAZING fish and chips, and strong, delicious rum punch!) and dance to live true Rasta music at Bourbon Beach. It rained for a lot of the time we were there, so they had a DJ instead the night we went to Bourbon Beach. But it was still seriously awesome - lots of locals there too. Both places were just a short walk up and down the beach. The hotel can tell you where. We were not at ALL harassed to buy weed or anything else for that matter when enjoying our time at Merrill's II. I think 2 people came up to me to sell some tasty treats that were cheap and delish. I was glad they asked so I could try them. Security is VERY good and was a constant presence. I believe Jonathan was the main security guard that we encountered, he was very friendly as well.

Staff:
The staff were very nice. We had no trouble getting extra towels or a key for the safe - things others brought up.

Room:
The room was a little dated, but who cares? It was nice, clean and large with nice, cold A/C. I was completely happy with our room. We had a corner unit upstairs that overlooked the pool, bar/buffet and beach. The water in the hotel was fine until our last 12 hours or so of the trip when it cut off and didn't come back on until we were about to leave for the next leg of our stay. That was a huge problem and the front desk seemed clueless that it was even off or what to do about it. But when the water was on, we had outstanding water pressure in the shower. The toilet flushed weakly - so let's just say flush as you go. =) Beds were firm, but still comfy. Blankets were awful, kind of old and scratchy - but they kept us warm. Flat screen TV with a good signal on the rare occasion we flipped on the TV to watch the weather.

One word of warning, there was about a 2 inch step down onto the back patio that I did not see and because I was wearing platform wedges, I fell HARD onto my knees on the patio floor. But the staff that helped with the bags got me an ice pack and brought us 8 beers! It was pouring down rain, so we made the best of my little tumble and sat on our patio drank our 8 Red Stripes and reveled in our destination choice. But if you're prone to falls as I am, take note.

Grounds:
Beautiful flora/fauna, cute yellow buildings. Close to everything fun.

Food:
For a small beach-side resort with a small buffet for all meals, I would say the food was really good. Jerk chicken delish. Food was hot and the buffet was different every day for the most part.

Bar:
This is where the hotel needs the most improvement. None of the bartenders we encountered really knew how to make anything special. Once as we were about to leave for a night at Alfred's, we asked him to surprise us with a shot of something colorful. We ended up with a mouthful of what tasted like straight rum mixed with some other kind of alcohol, not mixed with anything sweet. It was awful! BUT the bar staff were super nice for the record. Just stick to Red Stripe. There was one stand out server (not sure if she made the drinks, but I think so), Barbara, who recommended a couple of drinks to us on our first night that we really enjoyed. She was SO fun and made our first night special.

Other:
We went to Rick's Café and because we went while it was raining, we missed the sunset, but also missed the crowds - which was good for me. People were still diving off the 65' cliff, along with the lower diving spots, which was awesome. But because it was raining, we missed the sunset. Be sure to go down the cliffside walkway to watch the divers and hang out in the small cave at the bottom.

We took a cab over to a small outdoor, seaside shopping mall where we found a cute little jewelry shop. They served us Red Stripe and Rum Cream while we shopped. We bought some really nice baubles. They even paid for us a cab back to our hotel and recommended Alfred's to us! Before going back to the hotel, we sat on the upper level of the mall by the ocean and enjoyed some ice cold Red Stripes from a small foodery up there. Somehow at this mall, we were able to avoid the super high pressure sales that so many talk about. I'm sure a cab driver would be able to find it.

The drive from the airport was a solid hour and a half with traffic only through one town that probably set us back 5-10 min. But we had a great Amstar driver who stopped at a couple of bars on the way for Red Stripes and photo ops.

So all in all, great trip to Negril. The resort was very chill and relaxing and overall, I would still recommend staying here. I feel we got our money's worth and more. We saved money staying during the off season.

Lots of people smoke pot in Negril (not really in the resort that I noticed). If that bothers you, you may want to find a more touristy area. I say live and let live! I don't partake, but it's literally part of their culture there and we are visiting their country. I found it amusing, personally.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the pool, but overall, it's such a small resort, I can't imagine there would be a bad location.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
5  Thank no_deadbeats

The management and staff of Merrils Beach Resort are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate the highlights you posted of your experience. We appreciate the comments and will continue to make strides in these areas as well as look into other highlights that you have made in terms of improvements. Guest feedback and in turn guest satisfaction is our single most goal and improving based on reviews like these and actively listening to our customers has proven to be rewarding and the basis of all our recent improvements. Thanks again for your time and hope to have you re visit in the near future.

Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

My fiance and I visited merrils last weekend and we must say that were greatly impressed with how close knit the staff made us feel, especially cheff enzo aka WhyO and also have to give props to the other head chef whom we did not get his name, we definitely would visit again and really appreciated how well kept the facilities were.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Navado B

Thank you for your response and as always happy you enjoyed our resort. Looking forward to having you again and all the best