All reviews white river jamaican breakfast onsite restaurant authentic jamaican experience complimentary breakfast enjoyed my stay waves crashing beach bar luxury resort balcony door jamaican dishes party atmosphere reception area real jamaica mini fridge an upgrade ocean view
Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Stayed at Kaz Kreole with my husband and disabled son. The room was spacious and clean and within easy reach of the beach and bar. The staff were all very accommodating and nothing was too much for them. I was hesitant to book due to negative reviews but if you don't mind the party atmosphere of Jamaica (as the bar is very near to the rooms) then this is your spot. For a budget hotel it is well worth every penny.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 March 2018

All of the rooms have an ocean view which is a big plus in my book. The hotel is not new but clean and the staff is very friendly. What I didn't like is the entryway to the hotel is in the back of the Shaw Park Hotel and you go past a lot of not nice looking structures and not so nice looking people. I also was disappointed with the appearance of the reception area- too small and too outdated. The Jamaican breakfast is good, the dining area service is very good and as I said the staff is very friendly. I also do not not like that all that is included is breakfast. I feel strongly that dinner should be included

Room Tip: Try the Jamaican breakfast at least once
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2018

A Little background: I first visited Jamaica, as a 15yr old Galley Boy, on a merchant ship in 1957, my first ever foreign port of call was Port Royal, Kingston. I visited again in 1961 on a Banana Boat collecting from ports/plantations along the north coast.
I have always had fond memories and this year I finally managed to go back.
The first thing I would advise people, having seen some of the reviews on here is to manage your expectations.
Kaz is an unpretentious 3* Hotel if you are looking for 5* Resort then Kaz is definitely not for you.
I have given it a personal rating as excellent because having researched here on Trip Adviser it seemed to be what I was looking for. It was in fact exactly what I was looking for.
After all I was visiting Jamaica.
What's the point in going to some "gated resort hotel" where they isolate you from the locals? Are the security guards there to keep the locals out, or you, the inmates, in?
Yes at Kaz it's fair to say the building itself is looking due some renovations.
yes there are a few little niggles.
eg: (lukewarm shower, ok but who needs piping hot in 29%/30%C heat?)
Music to loud? that seems to be the case everywhere :-)
Had to keep balcony doors closed at night, or sound of surf immediately below kept me awake, is that really a problem:-):-) many would say that's a plus:-) nothing they can do about that anyway.
The overriding thing that made these little things irrelevant for me was the staff, lovely, lovely people, they went out of their way to make me feel comfortable in the true definition of the word hospitality.
Again, manage your expectations, if you want servile then go to a 5* If you want easy going happy to treat you as their friend, and be "one of the family" then Kaz is for you.
Then of course there is the location, right on the beach, a little out of town away from the Cruise Terminal and main "Tourist area". Here you get the chance to enjoy the real Jamaica and mix with the locals.
Small tip here, if you want to go into town go left out of reception walk about 150yds to the end of the road and get a Route Taxi if they toot as they approach it normally means they have space (you will be sharing), it will cost 100jd (about 60p) at the present time, to central Ocho Rios.
Try the local food? 100yds from hotel is Merle's Fish Shack for Bami ( a meal biscuit a bit like spicy shortbread) and Fish (fried) with a Red Stripe beer 800jd or a bit further up The Ranch serves fried chicken with rice, Jerk, Curried Goat or Chicken,to eat in or take away, from 350jd depending on portion size.
Back at the hotel, beach bar prices are substantially lower than UK pub prices Rum & Mixer 400jd (UK double) Red Stripe Beer 350 and you can get a Grilled Lobster Dinner for 3000. other mains around 1400
These prices are obviously open to variation in future but are current March 2018
Another tip prices throughout tourist areas are Dual with US$
Currently £1 = $1.33 ; £1 = 157jd from UK Bank or 167 at a cambio in town.
For ease locals outside the main tourist attractions usually work on a 100 to one basis so 10$us = 1000jd do your sums ;-)
In summary, a great place to lay back, chill out, and use as a base to get to know "Ochi" and the Island of Jamaica.
You can book your excursions and activities at reception and be as active or lazy as the mood takes you. Yeah Man!!

Room Tip: A little away from the Beach Bar if you want ro retire early
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
4  Thank Alan442
Reviewed 27 February 2018

Dinner was ok but there where only 4 tables to eat at
Break fast was minimal you had to add to get another cup of coffee
The bed room was in need of a bit of TLC the curtains where ripped the room was clean and the shower worked

Room Tip: They all have sea views
Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hilaryarnott
Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

We were at Kaz Kreol over Valentines Day and they offered us a very romantic 3 course dinner on the peer of which they forgot the starters, did not offer us any drinks and served our food with a plastic covering, and the desert was some cheap supermarket cake - for 48 US$ per person! Which we had to pay in advance. When we explained that we expected something else for that price the manager became very irritated. The place has a lot of potential, but this kind of ruined it for us and the music from the bar was so loud we could hardly have a conversation or get any sleep. The location is great, you have a direct view of the beach. The water isn’t clear though as there is a creek flowing into the ocean nearby. The place is clean and I guess it was ok, we just expected a bit more for the price.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple