Sandals Royal Plantation
Plantation Inn(Ocho Rios)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
2,730 results
All reviewswobbly peacockle papillonbeach butlerroyal grilleast beachterrace restaurantfrench restaurantpeter fraserfrench balconyarnold nugentbutler servicelobster bltrose waterour honeymoonfood and beverage managereast wingthe general manager
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 January 2009

What can I say, This was one of the best places that my husband and I have ever stayed at. We have traveled extensively to the Caribbean and this by far exceeded our expectations and then some. We were looking for a romantic getaway away from our children and after much research, we chose Royal Plantation. It was a great decision. The staff was amazing and could not do enough to accommodate you. They always had a warm smile and a friendly greeting. The food was delicious and we felt like we were in a five star restaurant at every meal. We did opt for the Royal Plan which I highly recommend. The drinks were amazing and always a top shelf brand. This hotel pays attention to all of the small details. From getting picked up in a private car at the airport, amazing butler service on the beach, top notch service, 24 room service and being addressed by name at all times. The rooms are beautifully appointed with a fully stocked bar, wonderful decor and beautiful ocean views. Actually all of the rooms are ocean view. We opted for a luxury ocean suite and
loved it! It is a quaint hotel set on a cliff and the most romantic spot that I have been to. We did not want to leave. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. I honestly cannot imagine that anyone could find something negative to write about this place.

Long Island, New York

1  Thank chuney69
Reviewed 19 January 2009

Royal Plantation Hotel room 352 local time 19.38 date 19.01.2009
Not a big deal
Everything started in December last year when TUI ( famous german tour operator ) Premium catalog warmly recomended this hotel and rated and presented it like a 6 stars hotel.I was happy because Jamaica is a destination that I was dreaming with my wife for a long time and so we like chic hotels we just book at once 2 weeks from 9 to 23 january.
We arrived in Montego Bay Airport in the evening of 9 january where we wait about one hour to be picked up by the hotel car ( private transfer like we paid ). Instead of that we were transfered with a minibus (a coaster ) very dirty and smelling strange for about 2 hours to our hotel. We were welcomed nice and soon we were invited in our room by the Hotel Manager himself. The room was located on the ground floor and we stayed there for about 3 minutes. We asked and we receive another room but there the toilette doesn t flush , weak presure on shower, bad condition drawers.During the days they manage to resolve all these problems. The pool is just a bigger jacuzzi , the beach is about 75 sqm. Sometimes they don t have what you order ( even is in the menu ) and because of the food we have some skin problems . A doctor came charge us with 180 $ , told us that is because of the food, told us not to eat anymore fish, lobster, shrimps, sea food - exactly our favourite dishes.
The waiters are very nice and friendly people and ready to serve you. In our case they will serve us until 23 january only salads and tea.
A question remain : why TUI and only TUI rated this hotel with 6 stars ?

3  Thank alex352Bucharest
Reviewed 17 January 2009

First I should start off by saying I took over three months to find the perfect resort for my romantic getaway with my husband. We were there from Jan 9th -16th. On arrival at Montego Bay our transfer went perfectly. Our driver, "Cool Dave" was great and a perfect start to our vacation. When we arrived at the resort we were greeted very hospitably with champagne, and cool towels dampened with rosewater- very nice touch after a long day of traveling.
Sean was very nice and when he walked us to our room he told us our suite was most requested by repeat visitors so we were very excited about seeing it. Although the room was lovely (Rm 57), we realized we would not be happy in this room. It was beachfront, but our balcony was at the top of the first landing where everyone who walked up from the beach could see directly into our room, absolutely no privacy whatsoever. So we asked for a change to a higher floor where we could have more privacy. That change took about 2 hours. When you first arrive they also tell you that if you book the resort before you leave for next year you would get 1/3 off the room rate, so that was good to know, however later that afternoon when we saw Sean again he again told us about booking the vacation again for next year and about the discount. We hadn't been there 24hrs and they were pushing to book our next vacation. My husband had to kindly tell him he didn't want to be pressured.
As far as service goes, there was great service, and there was bad service. On the beach you are offered mimosas or mangosas in the morning. They spray you with rosewater mist while sunning on the beach, serve fresh fruit on the beach every morning and basically treat you like a king or queen.
The food was good for the most part especially Le Papillion. Five star dining with a very romantic atmosphere. We enjoyed the Terrace restaurant which is outdoor dining under the stars.
One area where they could use some improvement was in the Room Service area. We waited longer than they actually told us most times we ordered. Our last full day there we called to check on our room service order after it had not arrived after 45 minutes when they said it would take 30 minutes. Apparently someone made a mistake because it ended up taking almost 1.5 hours to get our order so that was not a good start to that day. My husband and I also found their game room extremely lacking. A couple of board games, a few books and a pool table with a few ripped pockets so when your ball goes in the pocker it rolled across the floor. Not up to the level of this caliper of resort. Also our final night there we had made reservations at LePapillion( we made the reservations two days prior with the conceirge) and they didn't have our reservation. They accomodated us, but it was apparent they were somewhat annoyed with us when it wasn't even our fault.
Another negative thing was that they ran out of different types of foods on several occasions. They ran out of cream for coffee, they ran out of wheat bread, they ran out of Pinot Grigio wine. I find this unacceptable for the money you are paying here. One thing that upset my husband was that he asked for a Sapphie and tonic at the beachfront bar and they told him they didn't have that down at that bar, but that it was in the bar one level up. So when my husband asked why they couldn't get it for him they told him he would have to have the Gordon's gin, because that was all that was available there. They pride themselves on satisfying you with whatever you want, but they wouldn't go one level up to get the drink my husband wanted.
I know it sounds like I'm complaing a lot, but with everything that did go wrong we did have a wonderful time, but for what we paid I doubt we would return, because I felt for being the #1 all inclusive in the world they were lacking in too many instances for us. I read over 100 reviews on this resort before booking, the vast majority giving rave reviews, so maybe we just had bad luck. We are in our 50's and ealy 60's and we felt there wasn't enough to do there either. If the gane room was up to par that might have helped, but truly this is a resort where you go to lie on the beach, read and relax all day. That was fine for a few days, but after a few days it would have been great to have a few more activities located right at the resort. All said and done the resort is breathtakingly beautiful- the setting magnificent; just disappointed at some of the top notch service we failed to get at times.
Patty G

7  Thank Pattyg
Reviewed 13 January 2009

We went to the Royal Plantation for one week 23rd Dec-30th Dec 08. The transfer from Montego Bay airport to the hotel was superb. Uppon arrival the main reception,lobby area and front of house staff was very nice
The room was somewhat disappointing though. We had booked the luxury ocean front junior suite..In the end we went back to reception and they showed us other rooms within the same category and one above which wasn't much different.
The view from the room is really special and the room was comfortable.
I found this hotel very expensive and not value for money.The food was disappointing,we are so glad we didn't do the RP plan.Complete rip off. We wanted to go out in the evenings to local resturants but there wasn't much choice so we went to Jamaica inn and prefered it there. We found our hotel flat in aura and boring. This is most suited to older couples who wants peace and quite morning, noon and night. We were looking for a balance!! Wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank mrscolumbus
Reviewed 12 January 2009

This is one of the best resorts I have ever been to. It is small, intimate and elegant. If you want to go somewhere and relax, then it is the perfect place. We did not lift a finger to do anything, the service was great.

2  Thank moniel1