2,841 results
All reviews wobbly peacock le papillon beach butler royal grill east beach french restaurant terrace restaurant peter fraser french balcony arnold nugent lobster blt butler service rose water our honeymoon east wing food and beverage manager the general manager
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Royal Plantation (May 5th - May 13th). This is without a doubt one of the best Sandals Resorts. The staff was exceptionally friendly and the service was great. This is an all Butler resort so you go into it expecting a high level of service and they delivered. You have you "regular" Butlers (2) who take care of all your dining, travel, excursion needs and then you have the beach Butlers who get you your food and drink while sitting down enjoying the view of the ocean. The Royal Plantation is a small resort, with a limited amount of restaurants, but it is located within a short walking distance (on the beach) to the giant Sandals Ocho Rios property. That's why it presents the best of both worlds. If you like quiet, calm and relaxing you spend all of your time at the Royal Plantation being waited on by the Butlers. If you want more action, you go over to the Ocho Rios property and come back to the Royal Plantation when you get tired. When we went to the Ocho Rios property for dinner, our butlers took us over so we did not get lost (that's how big Ocho Rios is). My wife and I have been to a majority of the Sandals resorts (10 trips) and we have had great experiences and one or two not so great experiences. At the Royal Plantation there was no rushing to the beach to get a lounge chair, there were no long lines at the restaurants. Your Butlers will do as much or as little for you as you want. It's up to you to make use of them. You are given a Butler phone and you call them whenever you need them. We did use our Butler(s) to our benefit. They made all of our reservations at both the Royal Plantation and the Ocho Rios property. They scheduled my scuba diving trips and after we made our excursion plans with Island Tours the butler(s) gave us a written itinerary so we wouldn't forget where we were going each day/night. My wife likes to relax and take one or two trips to the SPA when we are on vacation. I like to be more active. Both of us had a great time. We saw the general manager several times throughout our stay. We also saw several of the managers throughout the stay constantly checking to see if everything was going smoothly. Overall the food was very good. You have to remember you are on an island, you are not going to have the same dining experience you would have in a 5 star place in NYC or LA. The portions are also smaller than what you would get in the U.S. But, that's a good thing! When you're staying at a Sandals all-inclusive, you could gain 10 lbs eating and driniking all week. We were told that we were staying at the resort at the start of Jamaica's "off-season." The weather was great. We were lucky, it rained slightly on the day of our arrival and as we were on the runway getting ready to fly home. Please we met at the Royal Plantation told us it had rained almost every day the week before we arrived. We will definitely go back. If you go, make sure you go to the dolphin adventure (do the swiming with the dolphins). It's extra, but it was worth the money.

Room Tip: For a great view, try and get a 2nd or 3rd floor Ocean view room.
5  Thank Rmcgarril
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the beautiful Royal Plantation once again during our visit in early May. While we have had the pleasure of twenty amazing Sandals vacations, the Royal Plantation is truly what we would consider a perfect paradise. Every staff member is genuine, kind and will do anything possible to make your stay fabulous. The resort grounds, accommodations, restaurants, beaches, bars, and entertainment are all excellent. We look forward with great anticipation to returning to the Royal Plantation in beautiful Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Great location, terrific vibe, perfect escape for couples but what really makes this place are the guys who work long hours and tirelessly to look after the guests. Myself and one or two other guys bonded with the beach bar staff over card games and forfeits and we all went out together to a few of the local club nights as a group, ensuring we were well looked after.

Nothing was too much trouble, but take the time to get to know the guys and you get good company as well as service (a mutual passion and knowledge of the EPL goes a long way in these parts). Watersports, excellent live music (including a bunch of old guys playing calypso at lunch down by the beach bar) and always being within 30 seconds of the next cocktail ensure that the holiday is a pleasure.

If there are criticisms it's the overformality that seems deliberately engineered in the Papillon restaurant. The dining there was not always so fine, especially slowed by service - more from the kitchen than the waiters - and not always worth the wait. Compared to the more leisurely meals that could be taken on the terrace this seemed like a punishment.

The biggest relief was seeing we hadn't been duped by the seductive brochure shots qne booked into the Sandals resort next door, the Grand Riviera: essentially a boozy Butlins in the sun for Americans and not a place to chill. The food looked poor, dining areas vast and packed, the resort shabby and the emphasis was more on conspicuous consumption reflected in some spectacles in the pool and ocean (it was noted the gym for a thousand people consisted of a few knackered bits of equipment and that tells you all you need to know)

Ochi itself is unremarkable with the exception of Margaritaville, chock full of tourist shops selling souvenir tat. Well worth a visit is the excellent jerk shack, Scotchie's

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This is a belated review. My wife and I were at the SRP from May 5 to 13th. First, I would like to give a little background. We had a miscarriage a week prior to our vacation, so we were not in the best mood. By the time we left SRP, we were in a better place.
We did not arrive like the normal guest. We were picked up from another resort and brought to SRP by Sandals. The trip only took 15 minutes. We were greeted by everyone (it seemed) when we got there. Even the general manager. We were blown away at the service we received from all the staff.
The first day we were there, it rained all afternoon. It did not rain the rest of the time, though. (We were happy about that, since it rained for the previous 7 days at the other resort. We jokingly said that SRP ordered sunshine for us.)
We stayed in the east wing on the 3rd floor. It had a great view and it was close to the end of the building, so we had no noise at all. It was wonderful. Housekeeping did a wonderful job after we told them what time was best to clean our room. I would suggest telling your butler (if you have a good one). I am not going to mention our butlers, since we did not see them but once a day. We did not use them to our full benefit, because we were seeking privacy over everything else.
Our usual routine: Go to breakfast at the Terrace. The hostess and the wait staff were always prompt, polite and courteous. We enjoyed breakfast so much that we usually would take around 2 hours to finish our coffee. The worst part of breakfast was probably the pastry. Most of it was dry, except for the sticky bun (very good).
Then we would head down to the beach (on the west side). This was my wife’s favorite place in the world. The watersports guys would set up our chairs and the beach butler would get us a bottle of water and a mimosa. We would typically stay for 2 to 3 hours (being served drinks before we finished the ones we had).
Lunch at the Terrace was always a treat. The general manager was usually there for lunch and would always have a great recommendation. Everything he recommended was delicious (as I am sure there was not any food that was bad).
We would normally go to the beach again after lunch, until my wife discovered the spa. After she discovered the spa, we had massages/mani/pedi/etc… every other day. My only complaint about the spa is the price. Very expensive for what you get, but we still enjoyed it.
We always went to tea time. The service was wonderful as well as the conversation with other guests and wait staff. Loved the finger sandwiches and cookies.
We would then go back to our room and get ready for supper. All the restaurants were good at SRP. We did go to the big Sandals resort for an Italian dinner one night. It was not worth it (by the way, I read all the reviews that said not to go and we did it anyway. Please do not make the same mistake. The food, service, and conversation are a thousand times better at SRP.).
I did want to include the gift shop in my review, since I have not seen many mention it. The prices were pretty reasonable and had decent stuff to buy. Not a bunch of junk that you will not use when you get back.
I also wanted to thank Cheryl with Custom Travel in Houston, TX. She got us the best price for our vacation and was always willing to answer my questions (I e-mailed or called her several times prior to our departure.).
I saved the best for last. We are no longer having that melancholy attitude. We just found out that we are pregnant again!! And conceived at SRP!! Woo Hoo!!
We’ll be back next year if the grandparents will take care of the little one.

Room Tip: Stay on the east side top floor at the end of the building for best privacy.
5  Thank sailfish85houston
Reviewed 2 June 2012

First time arriving in Jamaica during the week so the airport was quiet compared to what we were used to. Private transfer made the 90 minute ride more bearable, as we usually prefer the resorts with a shorter drive.
Since we had booked the lowest category was happily surprised to be move up to the Great House Oceanfront Suite. Great view--all rooms have a view of the lovely beach--nice way to start the day out. After three nights, were up graded again to the Royal One Bedroom Estate Room. Now that was REALLY nice---you could actually eat breakfast outside on your balcony.
While every room has a view, if you like eating your meals in your room, I recommend you get one of the rooms with an actual balcony, otherwise you are eating in your room looking out when you could actually be eating outside your room.
This resort is all butler, but the service from everyone is fantastic. In fact, some of the other people working there did more for us than our room butlers did. When you decide where you want to sit for the day, it is the water sports guys who come over with the towels and cushions. And the beach butlers who bring you drinks on the beach and some of the bartenders from the Wobbly Peacock if you are at the pool. And twice I was misted with rose water while at the pool--VERY nice.
Food was delicious--the only bad meals we had were when we went next door to the Grande Riveria. Upon hearing that we were not happy with our meals there, the general manager Peter Fraser promptly made arrangements for not one, but two private luncheons!!!
One was a "holiday" Jamaican lunch since we missed the Jamaican buffet at dinner and the other was an excellent Italian meal since we were disappointed with our Italian.
This is a small resort and a couple days we were the only ones at the pool. If you are a pool person, this is not the resort for you. The beach is lovely and quiet--like the whole resort--and it is so nice not to have vendors calling out to you.
As other reviewers have said, Mr. Fraser is very "hands on" and is very visible, talking to all the guests and making sure all your needs are taken care of. A true Jamaican gentleman and an asset to the resort and Sandals.
A shout out to the bartenders at theWobbly Peacock--best drinks and I never tired of being called "My Lady".
Had a "Hit the Spot" massage at the Spa by Antoinette--probably one of the top three massages I have ever had.
A private transfer on the way home and a ticket to the lounge at the airport made the usually hectic travel day alot less hectic. The bartender had a very heavy hand when it came to the rum and the one hostess was very attentive and made sure your glass and/or plate were never empty. As an FYI, they are allowed to be tipped at the airport.
A special "thank you" to our fantastic travelagent, Ruth Demuth of Trip Guy---know it was because of her that we got the upgrades and private transfers and to again to Peter, for a memorable trip to SRP.

7  Thank GordonGal