All reviews recommend casa bed and breakfast comfortable beds every morning hostel sleep fridge
Reviewed 22 December 2016

I usually feel that TripAdvisor reviews are bang on, but in this case, I was lead astray.

The hotel is located well outside of Ocho Rios proper, nearly a two mile walk from the central district and public transportation. I suppose for travelers with a car this doesn't matter, but for us it didn't work. There is no nearby public beach and no grocery store within easy walking distance.

When we arrived and checked in, we were greeted by an impassive receptionist who pointed us vaguely in the direction of our room. Room was dirty. Air conditioning didn't work, bathroom needed major updating and there was a large bug hanging out in the bathtub.

The worst part was the bed. Both the blanket and sheet had mysterious stains as well as stains that were clearly blood. At $100 a night, this is an absolute rip off.

We returned our keys, got a refund from Expedia (we had booked the "hotel" through them) and checked into a private room at the Reggae Hostel. Facilities were better there!

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank LaurenS3080
Michael J, Public Relations Manager at Casa De Shalom, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2017

Thank you for the reponse to your visit. We trust that all is well.
The location of the property is just within the Ocho Rios Perimeter and can be viewed on any major electronic "Map" available.
Casadeshalom has prided itself with cliniliness and unique hospitality. All rooms are inspected before occupancy and fresh, cleean laundry is promised and placed in each room. If and when there are issues with room, another room will be assisigned for your comfort and peace of mind.
Floors have decorated tiles which can be misappropriated for something else.
Casadeshalom

Reviewed 15 July 2016

My family and I stayed here one night. After paying for the room, they came and found us, then told us it would be an extra 100.00. We asked to cancel, as we could not afford this amount. They told us we could not cancel our initial payment. So we were trapped. We couldn't get our money back and we couldn't stay because we had no more money. My kids were scared and upset. I scraped together every penny I had to pay the extra. Then, they would not give me change in American dollars, even though I had paid them in American dollars. Just another way to get more money from me. Then our room had no hot water, our AC barely worked, beds were rock hard. Be very careful if you stay here. The only decent thing was the breakfast, but they had only instant coffee and would not give me any water. Juice only, they said. Never ever ever again.

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank ashmo1979
Michael J, Public Relations Manager at Casa De Shalom, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2016

It was unfortunate that the booking company had you down as two adults and 2 children. When seven adult persons turned up we were welcoming but the extra fee of $87.50 was for the extra persons. This was an unfortunate booking mishap which happens when some booking companies are involved. I do hope you enjoyed your stay.

mj

Reviewed 14 July 2016

I stayed for two nights with family members. The time here was homely, the rooms were clean, hot water were available for the shower. We requested Jamaican breakfast and it was thoroughly enjoyed by all my family members. In addition we were given access to a private bleach as part of our stay. The receptionist was also able to advice on the various famous tourist attraction which all in close approximate. Overall our stay was worth the money. The only downfall is the unavailability of a pool.

Room tip: They provide large family room with seven single beds was ideal for the children
Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Shawn C

Thanks for your review.
We have been trying to obtain permission to have a pool put in place for close to 3 years.
The work to do so is still ongoing.

Casadeshalom.

Reviewed 25 June 2016 via mobile

Thanks Ms June & Ms Jackie for being so sweet and accomodating. Your food was excellent.....reminded me of my mums cooking. Although there was no need to, you kept my room so clean. Thanks Adrian for staying up late, so you could open the gate when I stayed out late. Thanks Davion for showing and escorting my sister to the small bar and restaurant where the carwash and tire place was...the guys back there were quite friendly. Young Ms Felicia, you were so awesome and bright...so accomodating!!! This place is a hidden gem less than 1.5 miles from Ochi town center. Rooms although not ultramodern were huge....impeccable cleanliness!!! Bathrooms modern and just as clean!! Definitely my go to spot in JA!! Don't get fooled by the big hotels. I stayed in room #201 June 16 to June 22nd. Thanks Casa De Shalom:)

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank fernsrush

Thanks for your review.
Casa de Shalom is a Bed and Breakfast facility which lies less than a mile east of Ocho Rios city center. It is our goal to provide the necessary ammenites for your comfort and peace of mind and our staff will be available to point / assist you in the right direction as the need arises.

Casadeshalom

Reviewed 2 February 2016

On arrival me and my partner were rather upset as we had been turned away from our original booking at the Kaz Kreol Beach lodge because they sold our rooms by accident even though we had confirmation!!
we were the second couple that night to be turned away to this BB.
On arrival we were greeted by a nice lady she showed us our room which although it was not 5 star luxury it was very clean and tidy.
Unfortunately the views from the hotel I can not say the same about.
The breakfast was very small and not filling it tasted ok but it was like child portion size not even that.
There is no pool and no lunch or dinner offered for the price I think they should at least serve food through out the day.
The place needs an HUGE update very old fashioned and dated.
Still using plastic tables and chairs one old lady serving the food and did not seem to be the most happiest women.
I would recommend this place for a stop over1 night only.

Room tip: Ask for the best room they have....!
Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank S L
Michael J, Guest Relations Manager at Casa De Shalom, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2017

Thank you for that review.
Casa de Shalom is a Bed and Breakfast facility, with large rooms to fit your buget. We strive to ensure your comfort by ensuring clean and comfortable rooms /amenities and providing a continental /Jamaican breakfast in the morning.

Thank you Casadeshalom.