All reviews private owner turtle park beach access craft market margaritaville ochi nightlife poolside rum
Reviewed 6 June 2018

We called ahead to say we would be arriving approximately 8:30 pm as we were unavoidable detained in Montego Bay. When we arrived, had to wait for the "night manager" to come show us our room that was reserved for 5 adults, I even paid $75 extra for 5th person. He tried to stick us in an efficiency with a loft, two tiny beds for children, one of which was for a couple, the other for a six foot man. I stayed here two other times about 5 years ago, so when I booked deluxe accommodations with ocean view (penthouse) I was surprised to see parking lot and efficiency apartment. We were told due to construction what I booked was not available. Had to wait another 45 minutes after I protested that this efficiency was not acceptable. We were given another room in a different building (A and D), so we were far removed from our family. Apparently unit was also same owner and that was the deal. This extra room's air conditioner blew out warm air all night. Cockroaches were running everywhere, in both units. It was too late to seek lodging elsewhere so we had no choice but to stay. Next morning, discovered gate to the beach was padlocked "due to construction" and we had to walk on the street through shopping center to access beach. The housekeeper arrived three minutes before checkout next day and stood in the doorway until we got out. Upon checkout I asked to speak to manager. The receptionist got on phone and promptly produced the name of a manager (GC), and a phone number that was never answered when I called the next couple of days. Very disappointed, and embarrassing that I brought a first time visitor to Jamaica and he also had to endure this horrendous experience.

Room tip: Make sure you speak with someone when booking. Booking online is misleading.
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank SandraM1003
Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

After a long journey from the Uk I was informed there was a ‘slight problem’. The slight problem was the private owner had let our penthouse to another group who had cancelled their booking. They then decided to turn up! Given we had confirmed our booking by e mail and phone I find this absolutely shocking!!
We were given the option of another much smaller room or to rebook through Sandcastles for a another more expensive penthouse.
After one hour in the heat we still had no where to stay and were desperate, exhausted and extremely angry.
Luckily someone heard our plight and recommendations an alternative hotel.
In addition there is no direct access to the beach and the restaurant was closed! Overall absolutely disgraceful!!

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank Alison M
Reviewed 7 April 2018

Most rooms are privately owned so pick carefully...our unit was immaculate and well kept with everything working great including ac, wifi etc...not much of a resort scene, but quiet and in the middle of everything you need. You can quite literally walk to everything you need. There is a local presence on the resort, and for a few early mornings my daughter kept hearing someone trying to open the door, which was prevented by the latch. I prepared and left a (dummy)camera out "recording" with a note when we left for a day trip to the Blue Mountains...the next day I received an apology from housekeeping for entering my room to tidy up which they did although it was not requested or paid for, and I was renting a private unit. I found this unusual and somewhat suspicious so I suggest keeping your eyes open...it may have just been a nice gesture, or prying eyes keeping tabs for the owner, not too sure but be aware...other than that we had a great time and would definitely be back for another stay! You may also want to check on the progress of the construction out back...no beach access or view and from the looks of it, it will be going on for the rest of the year

2  Thank Anatole101
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

The hotel was ok, and the view was stunning from our balcony. But the staff was very unhelpful and not very nice. At the arrival they gave us Absolutely no info about the room we are staying, where we can find it( the hotels has like 5 or 6 buildings)
Not friendly at all, and anything we asked at the reception, their answer was” I don’t know”
Apart from that, it was ok... ish.. they didn’t come to check the room not even once in 7 days , to see if we need towels or anything. Not like any other places we’ve stayed during our holiday to Jamaica.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank sauliucclaudia
Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

Sand Castles is a lovely place as long as you get the right room and do not have to deal with Sand Castles employees at all. I have been staying here on my vacations for two years and the front desk people are always rude and discourteous. When I went to check in they were not helpful at all and even straight out rude. We came with the big group and the only room that was terrible was the one we rented from Sand Castles. All of the privately owned rooms were fantastic. We stayed in D17, D16, and D18 and the views are phenomenal in these rooms. They are owned by Lloyd Wallen but the room we rented from Sand Castles had ants and mosquitoes everywhere. My sister woke up with ants crawling all over her face. It was a disaster and Sand Castles staff were very rude and never came to handle this complaint. They need to learn how to treat paying guest. The property is well kept and we love the beach right out front although it gets rough and dirty in the early months of the year. My best experience have been to go anywhere from mid-March through July. How hard can it be to find a friendly person to work the desk and treat guest with common courtesy after they have traveled all day to be there? Get it together, Sand Castles.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple