All reviews turtle park beach access craft market margaritaville nightlife poolside
Reviewed 31 March 2016 via mobile

We stayed in Unit E22. The description said something about being renovated and modern. The only think modern in there was the laundry basket. Very small unit that's in desperate need of a total renovation.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kimika M
Reviewed 27 March 2016

So I’m guessing from the other reviews and traveler photos that it really depends on which room you get at this resort, as the quality and decor and cleanliness can vary, depending on whether you are in a private condo (and how well the owner takes care of it/updates it) or not….

We booked for 6 nights privately through homeaway.com and we have no complaints about our place. The condo looked EXACTLY like the photos shown on the home away listing and it was well upkept, clean and perfect for what we wanted/were looking for. We stayed on the 3rd floor and had a rooftop patio and outdoor shower, which was awesome. Ochi is a cruise ship port so you will have many views of one or more cruise ships each day. But our view was awesome; there were hills behind us with big homes, and the beach and sea in front of us.

Sandcastles is secure; we felt plenty safe. The staff is friendly. We went to the beach every single day and “Jack” took care of us, setting up our chairs ($5 each for the day) and what-not. The grounds are very pretty; lots of palms, plants and flowers. The pool looked kind of lame to me, but there were plenty of kids and teens and grown ups that seemed to enjoy it; we just preferred the beach. We had breakfast one day at the restaurant upstairs and looked out over the property; it was decent. We never went into Sandbar restaurant, despite much cajoling from staff; it is an ALL WHITE room and there was nobody in there when we came through; it gave me the creeps.

I will say that loud music from the street, from downtown Ochi, and from people partying at the pool kept me up late into the night more than once.

I liked that the location was beachfront and on main street. Restaurants, ATMs, groceries, souvenirs, are all nearby.

I would say property is only handicap-accessible if you stay on the ground floor; otherwise there are stairs and no elevator.

There are some things you need to be aware of if you venture out onto Ochi’s main street: there will be Jamaicans who will start following you and want to show you something - their cousin’s souvenir shop or their aunt’s flea market table - whatever; simply tell them No thank you; you don’t need anyone to follow you; you know your way around. Be firm and don’t be afraid to repeat yourself; they are just guys trying to make a buck but yes that is the problem; at first you think they are just being genuinely nice, as the majority of Jamaicans are - but these guys will actually want a tip after they’ve taken you around.

We LOVED the fact that the beach was never too crowded, and that locals hung out there too. Since we stayed over Easter weekend, the kids were on break on Friday and we had a great time making friends with the friendly Jamaicans that came right up to us in the water and started asking our names and telling us all about their siblings and families:)

John Crow’s across the street is nice for drinks and food and sometimes has live music; not too crowded. Miss T’s is hidden off main street and is an authentic Jamaican cuisine experience worth having; Evita’s Italian up the hill was the best non-Jamaican food we had and an adorable place. I would most definitely skip Ocean’s 11 unless you just want drinks. Drinks are great; food and service is not. Margaritaville is hopping during the day when the cruise folks are there; dead at night. Also overpriced and typical tourist trap. Food is good though, and big portions.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank farrellrs
Reviewed 26 March 2016 via mobile

We are still on site within our 5 week visit in a 1 bedroom private owner rental. Unit is reasonably maintained wit a few small repairs pending. Great air conditioning, strong internet, great TV with movie packs. Prepared majority of meals in the room. Typically all breakfasts, most lunches and about half evening meals. Convenient. General Grocery about 100 yards away with staff personal delivery of groceries and liquid refreshment for a small gratuity. Nice.
Staff are all friendly, facility well maintained and security is excellent. Not super impressed with the bar/restaurant as I found drink prices unnecessarily high. Beer price ok but otherwise drinks were ridiculously high. Pool was clean and well supervised. All in all we are more than ok with this facility and will come back.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for my birthday weekend. It was great, my friend and I enjoyed ourselves! The grounds were well-kept. The room was fresh and cozy. We didn't visit the dining area so not really sure how it is there. The beach area was nice and clean, as well as pool area. The front of establishment needed a fresh paint job..nothing major though. Altogether I'd rate the resort 8.5/10. Make a reservation I recommend it!

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dacia W
Reviewed 20 March 2016 via mobile

Run. Far and fast. And hold on to your
Pocket book. Management and most staff is ignorant. Especially bar manager. He will go out of his way to disrespect you and be rude. Has fired and had staff fired because they talked to people he didn't like Dishonest Makes ya wonder what he may have done to food or beverages before it gets to your table, Can't believe a word he says or many others in this dated has been . He is a pig
No effort made to make needed repairs to rooms

Is convenient to good places to eat and drink

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple