“We had a good time on our FIRST trip to Jamaica!!!”

Fisherman's Point Resort
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Saint Louis, Missouri
“We had a good time on our FIRST trip to Jamaica!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2011

Tips: STOP reading online horror stories~ go with a positive attitude and you'll have a great time! This hotel is NOTHING like the ones in the states but its a typical Jamacian apartment with wooden slat windows, high ceilings, and a tile floor. (Reminded me of a camping cabin at times.) We spent every morning watching the cruise ships come in from our 3rd floor balcony. Every unit will have a kitchen with a couple pans, plates, silverware... I would recommend bringing a few extra bowls, spoons, dish soap, and paper towels if your planning on cooking. There is a grocery store within walking distance (off of main street, I think) PS: there is a Cambio right here too, if you need to exchange.
The tap water at the hotel was safe. We needed a place to lock up our money so we paid the $3 per day to rent the safe key. There was a good/solid safe mounted to the wall in our closet. We didn't have any trouble, no money ever went missing. The grounds (flowers and trees) are extremely well-kept!
If the locals hassle you (and they will, this seems to be a poor country) GO TO THE BEACH! We never got hassled on the beach! Don't bother bringing the paper beach passes, we just flashed the metal tab on our room key ring... worked every time. The water was sparkley clear, we didn't get any bug bites, the sand is lovely. There are two main entrances to the beach.. the one closest to the hotel is RIGHT by the boats... go out through the back gate, through Baywatch restaurant, take a right and walk by the boats closest to the water.
The pool at the hotel was warm and clean~ no salt... nice place.
I didn't notice any all-night loud "party" music everyone complains about... we were RIGHT across the street from the party and slept fine. The bed was a little hard... but not too bad. We had NO BUGS~ no bites.
The hotel arranged a transfer back to the airport for $25 per person. (Wish I would have known, cause we paid $100 for both of us to get to the hotel from the airport) Contact the hotel and arrange this before you get to Jamaica... you'll save some money!
We walked to the falls from the hotel! We got there right when they opened BEFORE the cruise ship crowds!
The Jerk Center (which is also walking distance on De Costa Drive) was AWESOME! We ate there about twice a day. (We never did end up eating at the hotel... they SHOULD put menu's in the room, we probably would have tried it)
The only place that was safe from hasslers was the hotel and beach.
If your looking for PERFECT for the same price, go on a cruise! In my opinion, this place is for adventurous resourceful people, looking for a (cozy) culture-experience.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank soccer_girl1121

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Ajax, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

Security NIL! My girlfriend and I are seniors who were trying to get out of the cold Canadian winter for 2 months, from January 10th to March 10, 2011 but we were back in 2 weeks! On two separate occasions a thief/and or thieves came in the middle of the night and robbed us!

The first time it happened I thought I had misplaced the money. The second time my girlfriend and I realized what had happened and we where shaking!! That very day my daughters arranged for my girlfriend and I to be out of Jamaica within 8 hours!!!

I later found out that my credit card was also stolen and they had racked up $700 Canadian before the bank cut it off, realizing this was an unusual pattern of spending for me.

This was reported to the Property Manager that someone entered our room while we were sleeping. We had paid for 1 whole month and no attempt to reimburse us was made!!!

DO NOT GO THERE IF YOU WANT TO FEEL SAFE!! AVOID FISHERMAN'S POINT!!!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank B_Fenton

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

Saint Cloud, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2011

my husband and i are staying at Fisherman's Point in jamaica. our first night here someone came into our unit while we were sleeping and robbed us. they had to have a key, no sign of a break in. management isn't being very helpful. shouldn't we expect safety while staying at a resort? I filed a police report, reported the incident to the American Embassy and the Jamaican Tourist Board. All agreed that it had to be an inside job. We had come to this resort for several years now with no problems. They changed management two months ago. Let me tell you the new manager could care less about the safety of those who stay there. All she could do is talk about she has been all over the world, bla blah blah. No concern for what happened to us. She actually rolled her eyes at me and made stupid mouth sounds when I was talking about how upset I was. The owners need to fire her and get someone that is really interested in the people who come here.

We are here for two weeks. I can't sleep at night because I don't feel safe. Someone had to have had a key to our unit to get in, so I don't trust anyone. It is a shame. I used to like it here. I hope the owners read this because they need to do something about this. I wanted my money back because i didn't feel safe here. The manager more or less laughed in my face.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank aglynch
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2010

This place was clean and all the electrical appliances worked except for the iron. Everyday the apartment was cleaned and bed sheets changed by the hospitality team.

I went for a short 1 week vacation,i would stay there again. Mainly because the value for money was good they even gave clean fresh towels daily. The apartment was clean without vermin.

• Stayed November 2010
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2010

I stayed in a 1 bedroom suite for 1 night. That was long enough. The rooms are very tired, look like they have not been refurbished in a very long time. There is a bar / restaurant which is part of the complex. The night I stayed they played music until around 4am which made sleeping before that virtually impossible. Wouldn't stay there again.

Stayed October 2010, travelled solo