“Wonderful Holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 62 Hotels in Montego Bay
hurley
“Wonderful Holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We have just returned from 2 weeks in the Sandals Carlyle and I have to say it was the best land based holiday I have ever had.

This resort is sold as the entry level Sandals and what it loses by not having the private beach and full on amenities that the other resorts have it makes up for in personality and intimacy, let me explain.

When you go to this resort you get greeted very personally and within a day everyone knows your name, your drink etc and then you spend a few days out at the other resorts on the beach at Montego Bay Sandals and admiring the private island and the Royal Caribbean resort, all of which have their own personality, (Montego Bay is more party and happening whilst Royal Caribbean is more refined and elegant) but I and many others always found ourselves back at the Carlyle by the pool or on the public beach here, we even met people who stayed at the Royal Caribbean and are now going to book again but at the Carlyle.

There are some things people have raised as issues which need addressing, firstly the beach is a public beach yes, but the staff will gladly set you up on the beach no problem, the locals love it when people mingle, they are no hassle (you get the odd one trying sell you stuff you don't want but just say no, they leave you alone) some of the best times were had partying with the locals.

Yes sometimes a plane goes by but virtually all of the main resorts in Montego Bay are by the airport, the Sandals in Montego Bay is right at the end of the runway and it is 10 times worse but is still not a problem, you will also get planes at the Royal Caribbean and also at the RIU Montego Bay just to name a few.

The food at all the resorts including Carlyle is exceptional, the service was fantastic, whatever you wanted it was never too much trouble and I would gladly go again.

Finally take an excursion and see some sights, if you want to do Dolphins go the one at Lucea, its half the price of the Dunns River Dolphin experience and just the same and we also did a day trip to Negril, for $75 we were taken out all day, played at Sandals Negril included, taken through various places to shop and then into The Cave next to Ricks Cafe to see the best sunset I have ever experienced, well, worth the money, make sure Dalton is your guide, he is famous for the tour

All in all, we have had a great holiday, would definitely do it again and probably will do

7 Thank miwend

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We just came back from spending 9 days at the Carlyle Inn. All I can say is that it was my 5th time and it was just like my first. I love the Carlyle and all the staff. You will never meet a group of the most charming people as you do at the Inn. Very welcoming and sweet. Looking forward to next year. We have been home for only a few days now and dreaming about our days sitting around the pool and bar with friends with drink in hand and sun shining down on us.

Room Tip: The top floor or back rooms are the quietest. The front rooms and balconies are where you can see t...
2 Thank momstheword42
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

There are positives and negatives about most any resort. I'd like to get my one peeve out of the way first. Personally, the thing that most frustrates me on a resort vacation is chasing down something that is supposed to be included but turns out to be a major hassle. And so went 5 waking hours of my vacation at the Sandals Carlyle Inn, trying to get dinner res. Having arrived in the Sandals Welcome Room at the airport at 4:30pm, we finally arrived at our rooms @ 6:15pm. Another guest handed the room key over to us at the front desk, apologizing for delaying our room check-in, explaning he was late to check-out.

I was at the front desk at 6pm (before room check-in), and asked for dinner res. at the Royal Thai and, secondarily for La Cucina Romana, for any night but the returning guest dinner evening (Wednesday.) Nick paged through the res. book for 5 mins. and came up with nothing. At that point the GM, Mr. Lance Parrish came by and ushered us on our way, with assurances that he would take care of it. Spent considerable time the next two days trying to ascertain when the reservations were, in order to plan our other evenings, but was sent from Marsha to Jevan back to Nick to Doreen (there was a third mgr. involved also), sometimes at the front desk, other times on the phone, calling and recalling, with no res., till Marsha left a msg. on my phone that we had reservations at the Royal Thai on Wednesday, of course conflicting with the ret. guest dinner. She spent a lot of time and effort, talking with the Food & Beverage Dtr. and others, to obtain these, so it was doubly frustrating for all of us. After talking with Mgr. Doreen (thank you for your kind ear), I felt somewhat better, but we never were able to dine there.

On to the rest of the review...

My major reasons for choosing Sandals are its employees and resorts, and the adults-only restriction. Major reasons for choosing Jamaica are the weather and warm, welcoming people. We were not disappointed with either! It was our 10th year in a row visiting Jamaica, and our fourth stay with Sandals, second at the SCI. On the upside, as a rule Sandals handles its guests very well, the food is mostly good to very good, and some very great, service is outstanding (remember you are in Jamaica, and a Jamaican minute is longer than most!) and the resorts are lush and gorgeous. SCI, with 52 rooms, is showing quite a bit of wear in the two rooms I was in (we were moved to the 2nd floor, 213, after the first night, with a great view - another returning guest perk), but on the whole it looks fine, with the grounds beautifully cleaned, planted and trimmed. Everything worked well and there was plenty of hot water. We took the shuttle to SMB for their great pool most days, also spent one day on the private island at SRC.

Breakfast at SCI was just ok. hash brown triangles (think McDonalds), eggs, mostly standard fare with plenty of choices. The Eggs Benedict ham was processed (think sausage), the poached eggs always were still swimming in water on the plate. Smoked salmon/cream cheese/capers/bagel was good. The cream cheese was lightly doled out at first, but later in the week we did get more. All meals were ala carte, with a continental buffet breakfast also with cereal, fruit, pastries, cold cuts and cheese, & juice. I never had lunch at any resort, but was told the hamburgers and pizza were good. We all enjoyed dinner at the Italian restaurant, and the sunset view was stunning. The dinner menus are more varied, and I thoroughly enjoyed my arrival dinner at SCI, the choices being many and the food delicious. Also enjoyed Tokyo Joe's, where you choose your own ingredients for your entree. Sushi was very good there. I believe that other than the beach party, Thursday night at the Bay View SMB is the only dinner buffet offered at any of the three resorts. All the rest are ala carte restaurants.

A shout out to Ramona (sp?) at the SCI gift shop. She tracked me down and offered to have my RX sunglasses brought back to my room, after I had left them in the shop. You are a sweetheart! And someone (Lance?) were able to find Sandals TShirts in our sizes (another ret. guest perk.)

I would recommend SCI to anyone looking for a romantic getaway at a smaller resort, where you get to know people on a one-to-one basis, and are happy with a pool/hot tub or swimming at a public beach across the road. We had been offered a butler room for an add'l.cost prior to arrival, and in retrospect, I think it would have been worth the extra cost, since those rooms had been renovated, and also, particularly, for making dinner reservations. We decided that even though they offer reciprocal privileges, an hour between shuttles to/from SCI was just too long (the actual ride takes less than ten minutes), and meant we spent more time away from SCI than we had wanted to.The jet noise at SMB and SRC bothered me more than I thought it would, but that would be a concern at most MoBay resorts. There was a lot of pumped-up volume from the cars on the street in front of the SCI all hours of the day & night, with car alarms going off too, but I found it a non-issue most of the time.

Much thanks to Mr. Parrish for his warm welcome, and hard-working Paul Williams, for his check-in assistance and need-to-know details. When it was time for dining, Dacia made us feel at home, as did Prince, and Roshane's brilliant smile and comfortable ways made it easy to talk with him. Yonique was a great sport about our silly hats, beads and toys, and Nick and Jevan were always ready to help with a smile. It is people like these that give a resort a "Welcome Home!" feeling. We miss it already!

Room Tip: 213 has a great view of pool and ocean, 204 is larger and quieter and has a garden view. Both have...
4 Thank Worldtraveler2005
Saint John, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

A little late writing this review of your recent stay at the Carlyle. This is an update to the photos of my proposal to my now wife Caroline. We are now booked for our Honeymoon at the lovely Carlyle with family and friends. Coming up this March 2012.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We spent eight days at the Sandals Carlyle Inn in early February 2012 and it exceeded our expectations.

Before our vacation we kept reading about the lack of a private beach and noise from the small public beach across the street. We even considered switching to the back of the hotel (garden view). I'm so glad we never! We were on the third floor, directly in the centre, and while there was noise from traffic and beach-goers, it wasn't distracting and didn't keep us awake or wake us up - in fact it was fun watching people swimming and enjoying the great weather! Overall our room was very nice, but the bathroom was rather small. The patio, which overlooked the pool, street and beach, was great.

The free shuttle to Montego Bay and the Royal Caribbean is really convenient. One morning the first shuttle of the day was full, so we sat by the pool for an hour and drank dirty bananas soaking up the sun - how terrible!! We spent most days at the other resorts to enjoy the beach, but in the evening it was nice to return to the Carlyle. The Carlyle is just a short walk from The Hip Street, which has a casino, Margaritaville, lots of shops, a park and beach, etc.

Our butler Danesha made reservations for us at as many of the restaurants as we could fit in, and they were all delicious - especially Cucina Romano. Valentines Day at the Carlyle was a real treat - thanks Danesha! The staff at all three resorts were helpful and friendly (but not over-bearing).

In short, some people might find The Carlyle lacking compared to other resorts: no private beach, small, and noisy (from the street and beach). For us, the boutique-feel of the Carlyle was nice and the activity across the street was entertaining and fun. The other resorts with beaches and more activities was a free five minute ride away. It really was the best of both worlds (for a great price). And of course, less than five minutes from the airport.

My single recommendation for the Sandals resorts in Montego Bay would be to have bendy straws instead of the straight ones - so much easier to drink while lying in the sun!

We had a great vacation and will be returning next year!

4 Thank scggnb