“Such happy workers!”

Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Ranked #45 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Stayed here 2/23-2/27 with better half, his sister and husband and my sister. My opinion of this hotel is clouded by having stayed at Catalonia Royal Tulum last year. With that said my personal preference is CRT but Royal Bavaro is a VERY close 2nd. We all stayed in building 38. The rooms are incredible, better than CRT imo. At CRT the balcony furniture was cheap plastic lawnchairs and at Bavaro they were comfortable faux wicker and a hammock too! I believe the resort was at or near full capacity but you would never know it. Towel game was ongoing, but you could always get a place on the beach without having to get up at the crack of dawn. I did like the beach, its deeper and lots of shade(trees/palapas). However I like the surf better at CRT. The water here is shallow and not very wavy(i liked playing in the waves and feeding the fish at CRT). Also the water here was on the chilly side..but that could be due to time of year and the weather. While we were there the winds were fairly strong which did kinda of wear on me after awhile but didn't stop me from spending the day on the beach! Waiter service was amazing the 1st day, a little less so the rest of the days, but still very good overall. We never used the pools, which looked very crowded due to the strong winds on the beach.

The staff at CRB is amazing. Incredibly cheerful, funny and really tried to keep you from wanting anything. The beach server the 1st day, didn't even bother asking us what we wanted to drink after our first order..he just showed up with drinks in hand right when we started thinking it was time to reorder. Our party was all very impressed with that.

While the food here is good, I enjoyed the food more at CRT. My favorite dinner here was at the buffet on the family side. The breakfast buffet is always my most favorite though, love the bloody marys, and all the fruit, cheese and fish, the breakfast buffet was better at CRT but still, I could have sat there all morning nibbling away. Others in our party enjoyed the Italian and Rodeo restaurants showing that personal preferences and the particular dish you order will affect your opinion greatly. Overall, you shouldn't go hungry here, there really is something for everyone's tastes.

The spa at CRB wasn't that great imo. While the services offered are the same as CRT, the "experience" just wasn't there. Had a therapeutic massage and mens facial. While obviously its always nice to get these treatments, they just weren't as good as what I experienced at CRT. The treatment rooms overlook the hot tub and don't have full walls between the rooms. This means you can hear whats going on in the next room and outside which diminishes the spa experience. Also the music comes over very tinny speakers. For some reason the staff really wanted my sister and I to share a room when we had our facials. We agreed, but in hindsight I wouldn't do that again. The attendants were talking to each other(and giggling a little) while doing our treatment and again, this took away from the whole experience.

We found the beds very comfortable(moreso than CRT) some of the light sleepers in our party had the best nights sleep in months. Rooms here are very clean, yes a few ants here and there but nothing to get excited about. A few issues in one of the rooms, most were fixed promptly, others(light out in shower) not fixed during the stay, but again not a huge issue. No problems with power outages while there. Wifi in room was slow, but if your on vacation it really shouldn't matter! Speed at the computer center in lobby was much better, although it did go down for most of our last day..just when I wanted to use it to check in with airline. It did come back up and all was fine.

2 of us golfed at the 9 hole course and had a good time. Their only complaint was the quality of the clubs, but this was expected so didn't ruin their outing any. They recommend bringing your own clubs. I believe they said the price was $75US which included the cart, greens fees and club rental.

We picked this resort because of our experience at CRT, and while different we all still enjoyed our vacation. The Catalonia brand is tops in our book. I would recommend this resort if someone was going to the DR, but would suggest they think about visiting Mexico and going to CRT.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank gpdvt
Write a ReviewReviews (6,025)

Reviewed 27 February 2011

The Royal is adults only;capacity 500, private beach and restaurant at the beach. We upgraded to junior deluxe suite and it was well worth it. We have travelled all over the world but have found a bit of paradise here at the Royal. The nice thing about this is that we could go to any of the restaurants at the sister resort that holds 2000 guests and we did not need reservations. In fact Royal guests are treated like VIP's.
The pool in the deluxe suite area is huge and there is another beautiful pool with a swim up bar near the main restaurant.
Food is good but the main restaurant has the same menu everyday.The steak is terrific but the fish and chicken were tough.Otherwise everything else was great. The daily buffet breakfast is full of wonderful choices and the service is amazing.Our favourite restaurant at the sister resort was the steak house.The japanese was fun and even though I am no fan of this type of food I was surprised by how tasty it was.The Italian restaurant was also good . We even went to the buffet a few times but it gets busy so go as soon as it opens.The best restaurant is the one that serves lunch at the Royal beach, the menu was varied and everything was very good. Service was great and the food was served hot. They also have a beach party dinner there every Thurs night with music and dancing.
The beach is great and swept of seaweed everyday, Bar service at the beach- terrific. We saw amazing fish snorkelling just off shore at the false reef. In fact, we fed the fish bits of bread and they came out so we had a good view of them.
The room was huge and beautiful but we requested the second floor as the first room we were given had a smell. However, our friends stayed on the first floor and were given a dehumidifier which quickly cleared up the odour. I would suggest that all rooms need a dehumidifier as there is a bit of dampness . Bring an air sponge from Canadian Tire that will absorb any odour. We loved our room and enjoyed sitting on the balcony after a hard day at the beach.
The staff was always helpful , friendly and gave excellent service. In short we look forward to returning there again next year.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Luapram
PuntaCanaCabezaToro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time in posting your review about Catalonia Royal Bavaro on TripAdvisor.

We are glad to hear that you had a faultless stay with us and were pleased with the service and facilities at the property. All your kind comments with regards to the room, bar service, dining experience and the beach are greatly appreciated.

Thank you once again for recommending our property on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Josep Castellnou

Reviewed 26 February 2011

This was our second vacation at the Catalonia, the first was ten years ago at the Bavaro section. The Royal section is a lovely addition and we found the customer service excellent and always very willing to accommodate. I would expecially like to thank the concierge staff for assisting my elderly father in getting insulin from the hospital for him. Also a special thank you to Andros Almonte, who made my parents feel so welcome and provided them with a ride whenever possible. He even called them "Ma & Pa" and they really liked that. He was curteous and kind during our two week stay.
Our room was very nice and as mentioned in other reviews, the lighting over the bathroom mirror could be improved. I really liked having the beach towels in the room on a daily basis. Toiletries, coffee supplies, towels and mini fridge were replenished on a daily basis.
We ate at all the specialy restaurants and the large buffet and found the food to be very good. Cappucino coffee was not available at the specialy restaurants and this was a little disappointing, but we just went to the bars after dinner.
The pools were lovely, found the infinity pool area a little cooler because there was a breeze from the ocean.
One thing I did find a little different was that there were washrooms that had stalls for men and women in one room, did not feel comfortable with this.
We did the Dolphin Explorer excursion and I loved swimming with the dolphins. Went to two jewelry/cigar making stores, they come and pick you up at the resort free of charge.
I would like to say that all the front line staff are fluent in English and the customer service was A-one. Glad I had the experience of staying at the Catalonia Royal for two weeks.

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank Christa S

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us at Catalonia Royal Bavaro. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor and thank you for recommending our resort.

I have shared your comment with Andres and he is very happy to learn that his effort is highly appreciated by our guest.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future!

Josep Castellnou

Reviewed 24 February 2011

We stayed at the Catalonia Royal from February 16-23. Had a fantastic stay.

Ate at the Mexican, Japanese, Sea Blue, Rodeo steak house and Buffet.
Great good. The Sea Blue was our favorite with grilled caribean lobster available.

Room
Room was great and was always cleaned. The only downside was the bed matress was way too hard.

Resort
If you plan on a nice relaxing stay without noise I would recomend the Catalonia Royal adults only side. The Bavaro side is much more noisier and has a more party like atmosphere.

Entertainment
We found the entertainment to not be so good. The shows are much the same as any of the other resorts we have been to in Dominican.

Tips
-order the banana mamas they are made with real banana
-internet is available for free on the royal side
-Sea blue was one of our favorite restaurant for lunch
-get your towel on a lounge chair to reserve your spot early
-try snorkelling on the royal side. Not many fish but some near the sunken pipe
- buy your rum and souvenirs on site as they are cheaper than the airport (if you walk down the beach there is also local shops that you can barter with)
- Try the wood fired pizza on the bavaro side(very good)

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank moose1706
Reviewed 23 February 2011

My husband and I just returned from 7 glorious days at the Catalonia Royal.....we were relucant to travel to the Dominican in the past, but now after staying at this resort in Punta Cana, we look forward to travelling to this beautiful area again.....as others have stated....it was really hard to find anything negative......we stayed in a deluxe suite,( would highly recommend that choice, for the difference in the $$, it was so worth it) in villa 38, overlooking the infinity pool....on arrival, a banner wishing us a "Happy Anniversary" was on our front door, a nice touch to begin our 7 days of celebration.....the room was wonderful....it was like staying in an exclusive hotel....a four poster bed with a canopy, a walk in shower with dual shower heads, tons of hot water every day, cozy soft towels, and a large area to get ready in......the fridge was stocked daily, and the room had those wonderful carribean touches, animals made with towels and fresh red flowers surrounding all of the works of art, changed daily. We requested a dehumidifer and we found it to be most helpful in taking out any unwelcome moisture......
The food was amazing, we only had one bad meal in the main restaurant, but breakfast there every morning was great...lots of variety....we enjoyed the Italian restaurant twice, try the spinach fetticine and the lasanga...the staff everywhere could not be more friendly.....Wanda at the main restaurant was extremely sweet and then of course, Armstrong Ruiz at the Sea Blue was so friendly and very professional.......we enjoyed the fish and chips there.......and the double chocolate warm cake for dessert.....we had dinner at the steak restaurant once and it was very good, the steak wasn't an appealing colour, but it tasted good....at the "cowboys" were quite entertaining.

The beach was amazing, tons of chairs for everyone....the boys at the beach bar were always helpful, I finally found a drink I loved, ask for a Coco Loco made with a fresh banana, amazing if you enjoy a creamy drink.....beach towels were always in your room each morning and you could ask for extras at the front desk...it was nice staying somewhere were you didn't have to put a deposit on a towel, worried that you would pack it in your luggage on your return home......

The weather was amazing, one afternoon it rained for about an hour, but it was over as quickly as it started......

Transportation to and from the airport was very organized, just be prepared to have a bit of a wait on your exit from Toronto as well as leaving from Punta Cana.....make sure you also have your $10.00 US entry fee on arrival per person, as well as $20.00US per person when leaving...

The only negative comment I can make is, it would be helpful to have more washrooms available down at the beach.....two per "sex" just wasn't enough at times....

This trip was a wonderful experience for us and we would highly recommend both Punta Cana and especially this all inclusive adult resort, it truly was "Royal"

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple