“Hospitality”

Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Ranked #45 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I came to the Royal Catalonia Bavaro and was greeted by Andres Almonte. His character and attitude is what sets him above the rest. He greeted us with a huge smile and let us know he was happy we were here. When ever we needed directions, translations, recommendations Andres had the answer. He was educated in America and speaks English very well. Before long we were travelling the city, exploring places that were off the beaten track. Due to Andres our trip was a huge success and left us checking the calander to find out when we can return to the Royal Catalonia Bavaro.

Room Tip: I would pick a room facing the pools....Great to sit out admiring the view, pools and people.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cindy_loach
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2012

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to receive your excellent comment on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for giving us a perfect score and for considering returning soon to Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

Please know it was Andres pleasure to provide such a wonderful service, to make your stay unforgettable. We will make sure he receives your compliments.

Josep Castellnou

Write a ReviewReviews (6,027)

Reviewed 6 February 2012

For our babymoon we went to the Dominican republic, to the Catalonia Bavaro Royal Resort
We chose an 'adult only' hotel, since we didn't want to be surrounded by loud families & stupid animation.
It was an all inclusive formula, something that I have never done before, because I like to organise everything myself & because it usually stands for poor quality, but I must say we were pleasantly surprised. Because we had wisely opted for the 'adults only' side of the hotel, luckily there were NO buffets with pizza & pasta and nasty fries, NO aqua gym in the morning, NO animation teams that push you to do games and certainly NO evening program. Just rest, nice 'à la carte' food, turn down service in the evening, fresh smoothies, clean resort and perfect weather. Paradise...
The food...

9  Thank Liesielisa

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review.

What a pleasure to read our service standards and ambiance was exactly what you were looking for a successful and enjoyable vacation stay. Thank you for choosing us.

We are content you enjoyed our relax environment and restaurants. We look forward to welcoming you back to our Paradise in the near future.

Warmest regards.

Reviewed 5 February 2012

My girlfriend spent so much time researching resorts before we decided on the Royal Catalonia Bavaro, and then after booking we kept reading the reviews. If you read enough of the negative reviews on any resort you start to doubt your decision, and I admit before leaving I was concerned. After returning I have to say this resort exceeded all our expectations, and I pity those who cannot appreciate what a wonderful place this is. Be it unreasonable expectations or human nature, you cannot please everyone all the time, but based on the number of people we met who were repeat visitors, they must be doing something right.

ROOMS
Checking in was quick and easy and we were quickly shown to our waiting suite (3654). While this room is on the rear of the building (away from the pool) we did not notice the road noise and the lack of a view did not bother us at all since we didn’t fly 4000km to sit in our rooms. We found the décor to be very nice, although again who cares? The A/C worked without problem, there was tons of hot water, the mini bar was well stocked and the in room safe was easy to program and operate. The maids were outstanding; our room was restocked with fresh towels daily without issue and cleaned immaculately.

It is unfathomable to me that some people would comment on the “musty” nature of the rooms as if this is either shocking OR is unique to this resort. In fact of all the resorts I have visited in this and other Caribbean nations, this was by far the best. As visitors it’s important to remember this is a humid and hot tropical country, with rooms filled with fabrics and air conditioning running constantly to cool the temperature. If there was NOT some amount of “musty” smell I’d be worried.

SERVICE
For any all-inclusive resort the service is the start and end of all good experiences and this place was outstanding. The amount of service staff was immense compared to other resorts I have visited, which makes it very easy to get what you want quickly. From the front desk personnel, to the concierge ready to help you with anything from golf bookings to directions, to the servers at the bards and restaurants they go out of their way to make your stay a wonderful one.

If you are someone that wants something very specific, and off menu (like sparkling wine perhaps) don’t simply moan that the servers may not know what you are asking for. Remember these people are trying to serve guests in a multitude of different languages and are constantly trying to know what you want. Help them out and ask them “how do you say sparking wine in Spanish?” they will tell you, you will learn something new and will have a more success in the future. How many of us know people in the service industry that speaks even 3 languages? Most of these people are working on 4 or more at a time, and for a monthly wage that most of us make in a week.

BEACH/POOL
I am fundamentally against saving beach chairs and we never do so, regardless of how many other people think the rules do not apply to them. While there are people who wake up only to reserve some sacred spot just to go back to bed, or leave their towels out for hours while they are off elsewhere, we never had a problem getting space. My girlfriend and I golfed 4 of the 7 days, and were on a tour for one day. We made it to the pool/beach as early at 7:30am and as late at 3:45pm but never had a problem getting a spot anywhere (sun or shade, pool or beach). The chairs themselves are far better than the plastic contraptions you get at most resorts and can be easily moved if necessary.

GOLF
We golfed 4 times during our trip; three on the 18-hole course and one on the 9 hole. Our trip included free golf, and we brought our clubs, so it cost is $35/person/round for the power cart. The nine-hole course is attached to the Catalonia Bavaro resort so you don’t need to take transport. There are no advanced bookings on this course. The power carts are very dated and while the course is nice, we much preferred a full round on the 18-hole course. If you do play the nine-hole course you can play it through two times for your $35 (the course is not well monitored so you can just go around twice).

The 18-hole course is about a 5min drive away. There is a shuttle that drives from the resort to the course constantly throughout the day. They highly recommend booking the day before but we only did this once had no problems getting on. There were a number of golfers for the days we were there so getting a tee off in the morning required booking the night before. The course is open and forgiving but challenging enough to make it enjoyable. The USGA rating for the course is 70.4 & a slope rating of 124 to give you an idea of what to expect. When the course is busy they will send one of the bar staff onto the course to sell drinks including water (for $1/bottle) but few days are busy enough to warrant this. They also have free snacks (sandwiches and muffins) in the bar if you get hungry. Also, use of the driving range is free.

Most people bring their clubs and I would say it’s worth it, bur regardless make sure you take balls and tees which are pricy to purchase there.

FOOD
Compared to other resorts in the Caribbean I found the food to be above average. Of all the meals I would say that breakfast is perhaps the least awe-inspiring but there is lots of choice. There is a breakfast buffet as well as a menu of items that can be ordered. Lunch is eaten at either the Sea Blue beach bar or at the main restaurant and both are comparable. For dinner we enjoyed Sea Blue more than the tapas or the main restaurant (the main would be second and tapas third). We did go over to a couple of the restaurants on the other side and while ok they just couldn’t match up to the offerings on the royal side.

SHOPPING
There is only one store on the Royal side (called the Royal Boutique), which is a women’s clothing store. There is a shopping plaza on the all-ages side that has pretty much all you can want, but is overpriced compared to shopping off resort.

This was my first visit to this resort and the fifth visit to the Dominican Republic. With the past knowledge of what I paid and received from IFA Villas Bavaro, Bavaro Princess, IFA Bavaro Villlage, the RIU Palace in Mexico and the Iberostar Tainos in Varadero I can safely say this was the best bang-for-your-buck trip I have taken in the Caribbean. My girlfriend and myself are already looking at returning for another wonderful time here.

37  Thank Scott_Powell

Dear Guest,

What a delight to receive your amazing comment and valuable 5 star score on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for your great and honest review about our different areas and services. It was a pleasure to welcome you.

We are delighted to know we have become one of your favorites Resorts in the Caribbean. We look forward to your second visit as you have planned.

Receive warm regards from our Staff.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

This resort is a delight. My wife and I had returned to one of our favorite places in the D.R. Catalonia Bavaro, when we were bumped to their sister resort The Royal. The check-in process was very very smooth (remember to ask them about beach towels) and the staff made the whole process work. A nice cold drink met us when we arrived and the front desk staff are delightful. The Check-out process when even smoother.

The room we were in was the same as the ones from Catalonia Bavaro but they do have newer suites that a bit more modern, but we don’t travel there for the room, so it was more than fine with us. They also have suites that have their own private pools.

The resort is a lot more compact than Bavaro and a lot quieter. The biggest joy that we experienced here was that we did not have to fight for an open cabana on the beach or run out first thing in the morning to find one because they were always available. The beach bar was a blast. If you go make sure that you tell Amarily that Superman said “hello”. We gave a dollar tip after every two or three drinks, but our experience did not seem to change depending on the tip.

The nightlife at this resort is quiet and subdued (except for the beach party), but if you are seeking a louder space go next door to the other resort. You can freely use all of its facilities. The restaurants were all very good. The snack bar near the beach becomes a Seafood restaurant at night but as a snack bar it has a pretty good menu, the breakfast restaurant offers both a menu and a buffet and it also offers a great menu for dinner. (see my review of Catalonia Bavaro for reviews of their restaurants)

The beach party was run well, with picnic fare and dancing into the night. Another positive was that the people hawking their wares were confined to the Barvaro side so you can avoid them if you want to.

I thought that this place was going to be too quiet and subdued for me, but it was a lot of fun, and when we return to Catalonia we will more than likely be returning to the Royal. Staying here offers us to best of the quiet space when we need it, as well as the action and the energy of Bavaro.

Room Tip: Buildings 18 & 19 are closest to the beach, but they are the same rooms as the Catalonia Bavaro...
12  Thank Sratts

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for posting your comment; we always look forward to receive our guests review.

Thank you for choosing us, your comment shows us we have accomplished to provide a smooth and wonderful vacation from beginning to end.

We are glad you enjoyed the best of both worlds thanks to our Resorts services. It was our pleasure to welcome you.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

My wife and I, and two other couples recently returned from a vacation at Catalonia Royal Bavaro. Overall it was a lovely resort—I’ll list the good points later, but first, this problem Really needs to be addressed by management: MOLD and MILDEW.

Upon arrival, we checked in with no problems—our Bell Captain loaded up our bags and brought us to the rooms. I have to tell you that my wife and I are smokers, so our sense of smell is diminished. When the door to our room was opened, it was like being smacked in the face with a sour sponge. I immediately complained. Our Bell Captain acknowledged the complaint, and I got the distinct impression that he had heard this many times before. He returned with a small ionizer, plugged it in, and left. We seriously considered going back to the front desk to ask for another room—a couple from our party of six who had the same problem did go back and request another room and were told that the resort was full and it would be two days before they could be moved. All three couples were on the first floor.

Tip: If you’re booking directly thru the resort, ask for second or third floor. If you book thru a consolidator, you will likely not get an option for placement. All three couples in our party used Apple—who later told us they had no control of room placement.

Tip for Apple: This is not a 5 star resort. We expected better customer service from you—which was not provided.

Our solution? Keep the balcony door open, let the room air out—ionizer was removed after 12 hours, the staff tried to remove it after 4 hours—no doubt to put It in a room with the same complaint—we were in our room when they tried to remove—and we told them that we still needed it. After a few days, the smell diminished (or we got used to it) BUT at the price we paid for the upgrade room, we expected better. Enough of the bad rant. Now the good.

The Catalonia Bavaro is a huge resort—divided into two sections—Royal being smaller and more exclusive. We never had a problem reserving a spot on the beach—bartenders and wait staff were highly attentive. Restaurants were first class. All were sit down. There was a buffet at the sister resort,
But our group chose the more personal touch .
Restaurants at our resort:

Thallasa; very upscale, Delicious food. Great service—dinner there twice, lunch there once.
Cata Tapa: Our favorite. Tappas by region in Spain, as well as an entrée dish. Ate there twice.
Sea Blue: On the beach. Menu looked great. Steak and lobster. No drawn butter for lobster, Steaks were tough. Ok for lunch but skip the dinner.

Had a few meals at our sister resort:
Italian: mediocre.
Mexican: OK, but not great
Rodeo Steak House: pretty good. Steaks were tender—need a lesson in potato skins.

Overall: We had a great time. Staff (excluding the front desk) were friendly and attentive. Grounds, were well groomed, food and drink were superlative.

Room Tip: Avoid moldy, musty first floor rooms
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank NovaGringo49

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your valuable time invested to post this comment.

We are sorry for the inconvenience presented at your arrival. Thank you for your feedback. It’s very important for us to receive our client’s opinions.

We are glad overall you had a good experience at our Resort, and enjoyed our Restaurants and services. Again thank you for your remarks. They are all taken on consideration to improve our service.

We hope you give us the chance of a second visit.