8,748 results
All reviews sports bar a la carte restaurants bavaro section palace pool loft suite punta cana resort public relations dominican republic spanish restaurant beautiful beach jacuzzi tub adult pool animation team language barrier steak buffet restaurant saona island
Reviewed 4 June 2012

The beach and sand is beautiful on bavaro beach. Very clean. Too many people trying to sell you stuff no matter where you go, on the beach and even at the pool areas on the resort. The hotel itself needs renovating. We stayed in one of the house units, in a deluxe room. Room is small, beds are terrible and shower wouldn't accomodate a person taller than 5'8 of average build. Room smelled really bad, sewer smell outside close by our building from septic. Staff not overly friendly or helpful. Every pool was in need of repair. Tiles on walls of pools falling off, huge piece of granite broken off in bar area at the pool swim up. Only one buffet on our property that served breakfast and lunch, the menu never changed all week. The 24 hour snack place was in resort next door and served fried foods or salad. Even the buffets at the 2 sister resorts, you can also use, served the same menu all week too. We have stayed at other all inclusives and this place doesn't measure up to other 4 1/2 stars. The ammenities may be available, but the decor and quality isn't there. We would not return to this resort or recommend it. The sister resorts, Bavaro, Royal Suites, Palace accomodations I cannot comment on. But we did eat at their restaurants and they weren't any better. Only good thing was dinner reservations not needed for the a la carte restaurants. Food better at the a la carte but everything seemed to taste the same.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I did all the research, read all the GREAT reviews here and thought I picked the perfect place for our honeymoon. Even though I booked at the Grand Palladium Palace our room ended up at Grand Palladium Punta Cana. The room was not the one featured, but still we didnt complain.

The great reviews on here are so deceiving, but I do know now majority of them are from people that are not Americans. While there I noticed that we got treated differently right upfront, even though I am Latina and spoke Spanish to the staff all the time. There are a lot of Europeans and Canadians that stay there and they seemed to get better service for some reason, even though we would see that they didn’t tip. We always tipped since we are used to that here in United States, but that didn’t seem to matter. We met a few other Americans and seemed to get the same response from them on the service & treatment. A few that didn’t and said they had good service after conversations, we realise they don’t travel much. We travel all the time and to and were shocked at how bad the service is in the Dominican Republic.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: BAD

Since day one I should have known that it was going to be one bumpy stay here. We arrived late and I asked nicely for an upgrade since it was our honeymoon, and said it was important for us to have a beach view. We were willing to pay for it. Nestor the person who checked us in with a very sloppy Spanish that I could barely understand asked if I brought my marriage certificate, I said yes but he never asked to see it said I had to wait until the following day to speak to my Funjet agent. We were starving from a long day of traveling, and he just said that there was a restaurant by the pool. It was dark and we had no clue where anything was. No one gave us a map or told us how to get around. We had to find our way to a buffet since we were in shorts and they told my husband that he couldn’t eat at the restaurants that way, only in long pants.

HONEYMOON EXPECTATIONS, all out the window

After talking to our Funjet agent Benito the next day the best he could do was change our room to one with a view but no upgrade until our 3rd day. When I booked and paid for our trip, we were promised a Dream Care package, and when we got there a Honeymoon basket or something like that. After 12 days and several promises we got neither. No sign on our door, like we saw on other “Non American” honeymooners, no fruit basket that we found out a Canadian couple got, no upgrade to a Honeymoon LOFT SUITE that a very ELDERLY couple that was obviously not on their honeymoon got upgraded to, and the list goes on. One of the worst was coming from the beach and wanting to wash off, and no towels, not even our dirty ones. Husband went personally to get our towels at reception and they wouldn’t give them to him. They said someone would bring them up in a minute. Which we find out in Dominican Republic time a minute means 1 hour. They didn’t bring them up until I called and told them I needed towels NOW. Another incident was with our electronic safe. It was on the morning that we were going off on one of our tours. It was an hour before we were to leave and the safe wouldn’t open with our code, which was so simple. So we called the front desk to come reset it. They said a minute, after several calls and hour later and no one to open safe, my husband ran downstairs to make sure our tour didn’t leave us and to get someone, and we finally got Faustin who had to come in early just for this. That afternoon we got a call from another person in reception who said the night before we had left our safe open and that is why they reprogrammed it. This scared us because WE DID NOT leave the safe open, we have money and passports in there and we always double checked that it was closed. One of the nights they turned off the water without notice and I barely got a HOT bath since cold water was already gone. My husband had to wash with a cloth and bottle water if not we would have missed dinner.

FOOD AND RESTAURANTS

The buffet food was ok; we tried all of them and would only go back to the Palace buffet by the pool, for the great service we got from 2 waiters there. Manuel and Yulissa, they were on the side furthest from the beach view but they were kind and polite and took their job seriously. If you go ask for them and you will see the difference. There is a buffet that had better food called the Arecife by the Bavarro hotel, with an amazing view of the beach but the service there was also bad. The restaurants were better food but service was not, when you asked for drinks by name if they didn’t know what they were they just didn’t bring it to you. They would talk to you like they were doing you a favor, and would seem disappointed when they didn’t see a tip on their table, but come on at least fake a smile and learn manners! We tried the Mexican Cantina restaurant they have and food was good, but they had what was obviously not fresh guacamole, and though I only took one scoop from it, I ended up sick the entire next day, stuck in my room. The Japanese restaurant across from the Palace was one of the best and lively entertaining. The Brazilian restaurant (their version of Fogo de Chao) had a nice environment but not the best food. Don Quijote the Spaniard restaurant was the best in the whole hotel, that I even remember the name. I was so surprised that it was so delicious and that they got it right but then remembered the hotel owners are Spaniards, how can they get it wrong. The staff at this restaurant was the nicest, but we didn’t eat there until our last night, so I recommend you eat there more often if you want good service and food!

RECEPTION STAFF: RUDE

Reception had to be one of the worst, and even if you try to get away from them and go to the other receptions at Bavarro or Palace you can’t because they flip them around to those. The only kind person we got was Faustin and we were sad when he went on his days off because no one else there seemed to like us or want to help us. My husband's Spanish is very bad and he sounds so American so I did all the talking but it seemed like it bothered them to speak to the woman. They would constantly use my maiden last name and I would tell them my married last name and they never corrected it, yet they would call my husband by my maiden last name. Which we didn’t let that get us down but being that they are your point of contact they should be kinder.

TRICKED BY STAFF MEMBER

We were fooled into 2 tours by a person who works for the Hotel Concierge group named Gaston. This group walks around each hotel and they are supposed to be customer service and also refer you to the members group to talk to you about becoming a member (kind of like a time share). So be ware and DO NOT BUY anything other than from the Hotel Extra group that is there for tour or your travel agency! He clearly had the Grand Palladium logo on his shirt and works in the hotel so we had no clue that we were not supposed to buy from him. He talked us into what sounded like 2 wonderful tours; he gave us a great price but didn’t give us a receipt. I asked for one and he said it was all set up and no need for a receipt. Again I didn’t think I had to be suspicious of hotel staff. On our tour, the questionable tour guide came around to collect the “FULL payment” and receipts. We told him we had already paid and that the agent Gaston did not give us a receipt, the other couple with us from our hotel said the same thing. The tour guide was obviously mad and kind of scolded us in front of everyone. Finally after a few phone calls to what seemed the owner of the tour company they allowed us to continue. The very next day we asked for our money back from Gaston and he said he couldn’t give us full refund because he had already booked it, we didn’t want to loose the money so we went on the 2nd tour with a receipt this time. We got up so early waited for 1 hour with no one to pick us up. Finally another company came and scolded us and told us that they did come by to pick us up but we were not waiting at the lobby so he took us. Lies!! We went in a crowded van and long trip to Saona Beach. It would have been so much cheaper to go on our own and paid for the same thing, than the $70 a person we were charged. We complained about our experience with Gaston to our Funjet Agent Benito but he didn’t do anything about it. He seemed more upset about loosing the commission on those tours. He said we were supposed to buy our tours with him, but he only offered us swimming with the dolphins. I’m not a little girl I don’t want to do that!! I asked for a tour with him to the capital Santo Domingo, he wanted to charge us more than the snake Gaston and on the day before we left. That didn’t work for us, when we said we were going to seek alternatives he lied to us telling us that all the monuments were going to be closed on the day we wanted to go. We asked for advice from what seemed our only friend there our waiter, we decided to go on our own he told us to be careful and what bus to take. We then went on our computer got maps and bus schedules prices everything, when we tried to get them printed out by the reception people it was almost like they didn’t know how to work a computer. After several tries and specific instructions we got our printout. So sad that this is a very busy hotel and the staff lack manners and basic knowledge of the equipment they use.

BEACH

The Beach is so beautiful and it made up for the awful time we were having. The only bad thing is the sun is really strong and you need some shade from time to time, but there are not enough cabanas. Yet the people get up at the crack of dawn to set them aside with towels. We finally got one on our last day there, but my husband had to go down there before 7am and most of them were already set aside.

CONCLUSION

I have to give the hotel credit that it’s a very nice hotel, they have a variety of restaurants and entertainment. The beach is beautiful, and numerous pools and a kids section so adults don’t have to be with a bunch of kids. The problem at this place is the staff. If they continue to give this horrible service, and treat people based on nationality I will never go back, nor will I tell anyone to go there and I WILL tell everyone about my bad experience. I would hope that people would give their real opinion of the place on a review. People who do not travel often and that don’t have anything to compare it to really should NOT be reviewing, this only causes places like this to have good reviews when they don’t deserve them. I feel like we wasted our money and would have been better off going somewhere else on our honeymoon. Not to mention how can they can sell the memberships if the service that you get is so horrible, why would anyone want to buy?

Tip: There are machines that look like atms in the lobbies, which are for the guests to give comments and complaints. Use them, and keep track of names of the people that are actually good so that maybe this hotel will do something about it. You can read my Full review on my blog http://www.leplumeobsessions.blogspot.com/

Room Tip: We stayed in the 4124 in the 4000 block in Punta Cana and we could see the beach. We were in 4109 at first and you see the other rooms, no beach. Plus you are not too far from the front desk.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LifeWithSalsa
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I took my husband here for his birthday. We absolutely loved it! The resort was gorgeous, the perfect picture of paradise. Our room was spacious and as beautiful as the resort. The food was awesome and the drinks were even better : ). We did have an ocean view room though. I would definitely go back and I would stay at this same resort. My only recommendation is to fly in on a Monday or another day during the work week. We flew in on a Saturday and sat in customs for over a hour and a half.

Room Tip: I loved the ocean view but honestly didn't really spend any time on the balcony.
2  Thank Candy C
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We have the most incredible trip cause are Honeymoon, so we have a great vacation, the rooms are amazing and the food, the activities, the services are exelcent.
Punta CANA its a lovely place and beautiful places

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Just returned, fabulous property. Well maintained and rooms are immaculate.Well worth the money.Only complaint was the food,buffet was just okay, and a la cartes I would definately pick the Japanese second Brazilian for favourites.Staff are friendly. Always received whatever we requested from the front desk in a timely manner.
Would highly recommend the Punta Cana Buggie excursion. Make sure you take your own bandana, you are going to need it, and are $5.00 each to purchase at the buggy place.Please take wrapped candy/gum for the kids you may see throughout this excursion. You may need to toss on the side of the road as the children have to satnd back or they may get injured. If you give them money it just goes to the adults.
Also take a dip in the cave it's amazing...don't miss this opportunity.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 6000 range are perfect. We stayed in 6625 & 6626. Bldgs 6700 and 6800 great as well. Close to pools beach restaurants stores and all the ammenities. Quiet during the day and night. Train stop right out front to take you around the property.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family