“our 20th anniversary trip, Jan. 30 - Feb. 6, 2012”

Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #31 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
ashtabula
“our 20th anniversary trip, Jan. 30 - Feb. 6, 2012”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

our trip was great. we were in complex 26. our room was upgraded to a Junior Suite, just beautiful. we had a big jacuzi in the big bathroom, sitting room with couch, fridge, pattio and a great view of the garden. the only problem was the pillows, we had to pay $3 per night to get a soft pillow. their pillows were very hard, not good for sleeping. they had 4 pillows on the bed, they should provide a variety.
the resort was beautiful. the beach unbelievable with the white sand, not a pebble to be found. 4 pools. many restaurants with good food. there were 4 resorts in the complex.
it was a little confusing the first couple days. i suggest you take a train ride in the daylight with a resort map in hand. the train takes you through all 4 resorts. we found out the pool at the Punta Cana was closer to our room than our pool at the Bavaro, and this pool was much nicer with the buffet right at the pool. the beach was about a 2 minute walk from our room. our lobby was a little more of a walk, we road the train to get there. there is a schedule of activities at the buffet in the Bavaro lobby. we didn't even know this until the day we were leaving. we missed the local vendors sale. It was through the whole complex. we had gone to the shops on the beach. be careful and check your bag before you leave. we bought 4 items, but there were only 3 items in our bag when we got back to our room.
we spent a lot of time at the Sports Bar. 24 hour buffet and a chef to cook burgers and sandwiches made to order. the food, especially the winds were delicious.
check in was a little confusing. it was a bit difficult to talk to the workers at the resort, not too many speak English. we should have learned some Spanish before we went. there are people from all over the world visiting these resorts, I can only imagine how difficult it is for the people working at the resort.
this was a wonderful, memorable trip. if you order the ribeye at the steak restaurant make sure you are extra hungry, it was as big as my dish. you certainly won't go hungry at these resorts. the frozen drinks are very good and refreshing.
it gets breezy at night on the beach (they have a beach party) so bring a light jacket if you are planning on going.
it rained twice during the day when we were at the pool and beach, but the sun was shining at the same time. It was unbelievable!
we had a great time and got a great tan.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank pattio92

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (759)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Rockford, Michigan
Reviewed 14 February 2012

My fiancee and I spent a very active and fun week at the Grand Palladium Bavaro January 27 thru February 3. We didn't have the greatest weather the first couple of days, and the beach was quite windy, but it was warm and sunny for most of our stay.

Let me start by saying that I have traveled throughout the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, etc., and have stayed at 1 star resorts up to 5 star resorts. I have spent a week in the Puerta Plata region of the D.R., and spend two days in La Romana on a cruise. This was my 18th such trip, and I feel this resort deserves all of its 4 star rating

Check in was a breeze, and all of our dealings with the staff in the lobby were pleasant. We checked in around 1:30 p.m. and were told our room wouldn't be ready until 3:00 p.m. We got our all-inclusive bracelets, headed to the El Arrecife buffet (by far the best lunch buffet at the resort in my opinion), had a great lunch, walked around a bit to get acclimated (the resort is HUGE), then headed back to the lobby at 3:00 p.m. After a short wait, we were escorted to Romance Suite #1284. Our room was awesome, and must have been renovated recently because everything in it was new. We loved the jet tub in the bathroom and the Mayan shower, and the hammock in the outside room was really relaxing as well. We also got a plate of fruit and a bottle of rum (Barcelo Anejo) delivered to our room shortly after we got there (nice touch).

Overall, I thought the food in the buffets was pretty good. There were so many choices that you would have to be pretty picky not to find something you liked. Every night the buffets had a different theme (i.e. American night, Spanish night, Asian night, Dominican night, Italian night, etc.) The staff in the restaurants were very attentive, although there was a slight language barrier sometimes if you didn't speak Spanish. Yuddy and Olga were two who did a great job and were always smiling and helpful.

We ate at two of the ala carte restaurants, the Italian one and the Brazilian one. Both were good, the service was good, and I liked that you didn't have to make reservations. We did have to wait for about an hour for the Brazilian restaurant, but they give you a beeper and you just head over to the nearest lobby for a before dinner cocktail - not a big deal. I would have liked to try some of the other ala carte restaurants, but we just ran out of time. Oh, men do have to wear pants and closed toe shoes (no sandals, although I did see a couple of people breaking that rule).

The beach is beautiful - powder white sand for as far as the eye can see in either direction. I walked about a mile in both directions and noticed that the Palladium complex's beach was a little narrower than some of the other stretches, but again, not a big deal. We never had a hard time finding loungers at the beach.

We hung out at three different pools during our stay. You have to put your towels out by about 8:00 a.m. (or before) if you want to get a lounger at the pools. I liked that there were waiters and waitresses walking around the pools taking your drink orders - nice touch. The swim up bars were never busy, and you could always get a quick drink if you felt so inclined.

As I mentioned earlier, this resort is quite large. There is a train that comes around every half hour or so, and you can get a shuttle from any of the lobbies if you ask (don't forget to tip the drivers!). We walked for the most part. Our room (#1284) was right along the ocean, had a train stop out front, and was close to the El Arrecife buffet as well as two of the beach kiosks which served hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, occasionally grilled pork (delicious), french fries, etc.).

We checked out the sports complex one morning when it was a little rainy out and ended up shooting some baskets at one of the two full court basketball courts. There is also a full size soccer field, outdoor table tennis, several beach badminton courts, 6-8 tennis courts, miniature golf, beach volleyball, an archery range and a shooting range. I thing there might have been a lacrosse field, too.

The grounds of the resort are well maintained with lots of nicely trimmed plants to look at. There are also lagoons all over the place with interesting birds and fish to observe.

There a lots of bars spread throughout the resort in the various lobbies, pools, restuarants, and Hemmingway's is open at night. They serve a little better liquor and have a guy playing the piano most nights.

We did two side trips (Bavaro Runners Zip Line and the Marinarium trip where you snorkel with stingrays and nurse sharks). Both trips were great and well worth the time and money.

All in all we had a great time, and I would definitely go back to Punta Cana and to the Grand Palladium Bavaro.

Room Tip: It was definitely worth the upgrade for the Romance Suite. We had room #1284, which had an ocean vi...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Spartan5
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We were at this Resort Nov. 28-Dec. 4, 2011. This was our second visit to a Palladium Resort (Vallarta Nayarit in 2009) and cannot recommend either of these Resorts. Pretty poor service at both.

Let me start by stating that we enjoy travelling and make the best out of our vacations. We don't look for negatives or talk bad or complain about a resort while there. This does not help anyone. We have come across rude, obnoxious guests that constantly complain or raise their voices to be heard by all. We do not do that and it definitely does not help or solve anything. We have had excellent results at most resorts. The Palladiums however, have not sparkled.

We like to stay positive and look for good things in a resort, but had to search long and hard to find one here...Hemingway Bar..That's it.

We kept tipping as we always do so as to not receive any worse service. It did not help though.
We kept our unhappiness to ourselves until check-out. That is where I will start.

My wife went to check-out and I called for a bell-hop thinking I would be joining her within a few minutes..I waited over 20 minutes and called again..waited another 10 minutes and decided to take the luggage myself. My wife had started to walk back to the room and met me half way wondering what was taking so long. When I got to the reception area, there were 4 bell-hops standing around talking to each other. She told me they were standing there the whole time she was there waiting for me.
I voiced our displeasure privately and quitely about this and our whole experience..Reception response, or lack there of was as if they had heard this before..They just brushed us off. Not even an "I'm sorry to hear that". I asked to speak to the manager, but my request was denied.

Two days before leaving, we asked our concierge about late check-out. He asked our room number and he said no problem. "Just come back tomorrow afternoon and I will take care of that for you". We did as he asked, but this time, it was a problem. After he went through his well rehearsed, and I am sure over-used explanation of why we couldn't have late check out, I asked to speak to the Manager. The concierge was so kind (sarcasm) as to do this for me. He went into the office for a couple of minutes and came back with a "Too Bad" attitude. The manager was busy and could not come out, but he assured me that he confirmed what the concierge had told me.
Meanwhile, another guest, same concierge, was requesting late chek out and was granted the request. I asked how he could get late check out..he said he was with a different tour company...that was not true.
That guest came in on the same flight, had the same Transat Rep at the airport and was on the same hotel shuttle as us. I called him on it, and the stories just kept getting grander.

So, here we are sitting in the reception area, and the time-share rep comes over and asks us when we will be returning to the Palladium. First time I have ever heard a time-share rep without a comeback. He just turned and walked away. I then noticed him talking to our concierge. Perhaps he should have talked to him first.

The Palladium Bavaro has some of the worst overall service and concierge we have encountered in over 20 vacations.

Now to the beginning.
We booked through Transat Vacations. As others have written, the service you receive is awful at best. Perhaps this resort does not like the Transat brand.
When you book through them to stay at the Bavaro section, you end up in the Punta Cana section of the resort.

The first morning we asked our concierge to show us how the property was divided. He drew lines on the resort map to indicate the sections. We saw that our building was actually in the Punta Cana section and mentioned this to him. He then proceeded to draw a curve on the map that included a couple of buildings from that section and he told us that those were actually part of the Bavaro section..our building included. How convenient for them.

Cold coffee, anyone. You can get hot water, but not hot coffee. Not a great start to the morning if you enjoy a good, hot cup of coffee. The only place to get hot coffee is Hemingways...At night. This is where we would have a couple of after dinner drinks. We are not "big" drinkers.

Overall, the food was not bad at the Buffet, but the A La Cartes..totally different story.
I am not a fussy eater but the food at the a la cartes was cold (except for the Japanese) and unappealing.
We went to the Steak House twice. I tried the tenderloin the first time we went..they should really take it off the menu. Medium well means red to raw inside and cold, and it was not really tender. Had trouble cutting it with a steak knife. Anything but tender. I ate around the edges. My wife had the ribs..they were mostly fat.
Next visit, I tried the Grouper...It was terrible. Not sure how you make greasy, tasteless fish, but they did. Once again, could not finish it.
Not once, on either occasion did any server come over and ask how our meal was. They take your order, bring you your drink, if they remember, bring your meal and then vanish.

Same story at the Oriental Restaurant.

At the Mexican Restaurant, I received my food, my wife got hers over 5 minutes later. It's coming soon..She does not like seafood so I could not share my meal with her as she waited. I waited for her meal to come before I started eating. Her food came, wrong order...she ordered a dessert and we left after that.

The Japanese (Show) Restautrant was okay. Only reason the food is hot is because they cook it in front of you. Couldn't get a beer to wash it down, though. Asked repeatedly for one. Once again, too many servers. If you didn't drink wine, you didn't get anything but water. They did remember my beer at the end of the meal.

At every restaurant, I would ask for a beer with my meal when ordering. Sometimes it would come before the appetizers, other times I had to ask 4 or 5 times. Sometimes it would not show up at all.
The servers are not designated an area in the restaurants, so they are all involved in the process. I believe this is why they fail miserably with service in them.

The beach is large, but you better get up in the middle of the night to get a lounger. I would get up at 6:30 to walk the beach and saw that people had already started gathering 4-5 chairs under the huts and throwing 1 or 2 towels and the occasional sandal or magazine to hold them. This is not directly the resorts fault, but they should really implement some sort of time rule. Those chairs were not utilized until the afternoon. I guess they go down when the Disco closes, place their towels, go to bed, sleep til noon and then go to the beach.

The room was nice. It was cleaned at different times every day. Somewhat inconvenient. Towels are a very hard thing to get. You put 2 for cleaning, you get 1..you have to call to get the second one back. Ask for an extra one, it comes the day before you are leaving. Don't even try to ask for a face cloth (take your own). The pillows are pretty thin. They do have a pillow menu. Fairly pricey. We are pretty active during the day, so falling asleep (even on a wafer-thin pillow) isn't a problem. It was nice to have the extra shower/tub in the room.

The pathways are poorly lit, if at all in some places..be careful. Take a small flashlight with you.

Even the train broke down the day we decided to ride it. We were at the furthest point on the property (the Royal section) from the Bavaro when this happened.

Now the good. Hemingways Piano lounge. Nice lounge chairs and love seats. Smoke-free. Good drinks (even bottled Miller beer), and service.

Ratings:

We believe service is what makes or breaks a vacation. Poor at best.
The value for the dollar was average. Brought down to poor by the service.
Sleep is never a problem if you are active during the day.
Generally, the resort was clean.
Almost any resort on Bavaro beach is in a good location.
The room was spacious. It's a room. How much time do you really spend there.
Not big drinkers as mentioned, but they had Baileys for my wife.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank hotretreats
Puslinch
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We travelled with family to this resort there were 8 of us in total 4 adults & 4 children. We booked through Air Transat & got the "Junior Suites with Imperial Club". Our rooms weren't even in the same block, but thank-fully weren't to far from one another. We did ask to move to be ALL together, but they could not accomodate that as they said they were "over booked"!!

ROOMS:
Our room was beautiful....very spacious, we had a king bed, pull-out couch very large bathroom with a jucuzzi tub, shower, etc......but the coolest thing of all was that off of the bathroom there were glass sliders to an outdoor shower room, all inclosed with a garden and a beautiful hammock....we did not use the shower inside once!!!! sooo cool!! we were in block 30 room 1304.Our room was also right next to the beach, so it was a bit windy. The others we tralleved with had a nice room as well, but not have the "outside shower room" they were in room 1222. The beds i found were a little on the hard side, & the air-conditioner seemed to be pointed right at the bed so after the first night, we just turned it off at bedtime as it was just to cold. The cleaners did a great job as well!!
We also liked the "turn-down" service we got in the evenings, the bed was turned down for us and she always left flower pedals on the bed....my daughter thought this was amazing!!!

Restaurants:
Tried to book a-la-carts but we could not really get the times we wanted, everything was available at 10pm...but who wants to eat at 10pm?!!! We did end up just going to the steak-house, at 5;30 and seeing as it was my sister-in-laws 40th birthday that day, they did accomodate us! They also gave her a birthday cake & sang to her!! very nice. Be prepared though if you want lobster, you'll be billed $35.00(american).
The food over all was ok, there was alot to choose from the buffets, and they had food like hamburger,fries,hotdogs,nachos & cheese, if the kids didn't want to try anything new.

We decide to let the kids go swimming with the dolphins, just a heads up, if you are going to the one in the ocean, WEAR A WET-SUIT!!! there is a $5.00 rental fee but well worth it!! The kids frose in the water for that long ( 45mins-1hr) also they say 8 yrs old they can go by themselves, I wouldn't advise this, my daughter is 8, but couldn't really understand ALL the instructions given to her at once. In my opinion....8 is still a bit younge.
We also went on one of the "glass bottom boat" tours.....another heads up,....if you get nauseous easily......DON"T GO!! It was pretty rough when we went, and there were a few of us that were "green" the entire ride (2.5-3hrs.). There were 18 of us that went on this rinky-dinky little boat, was NOT worth the $$$!!!

The resort over-all was beautiful, very large...lots of walking, there is a train that runs every 20-30 mins. that you can ride & get let off at designated stops. The shows were good at night, when we were there, they had a "micheal Jackson" show, a "pop divas" show, acouple others I can't remember, but the best one was the "circus" show.....Amazing!!!! They seem to rotate the shows between the 3 resorts so if you miss one you can always catch it at one of the other ones.

The beach was really nice, we took a walk down to the "beach market" a few times, be prepared for how aggresive the vendors are!! It was a little over-whelming!!

The pools that we found were really nice & ALL the bar staff we encountered were exceptional!!! We found everyone to be very friendly.

I would go back to this resort & would reccomend it to anyone!!

Room Tip: Rooms by the beach are a bit windy, but seem to be the nicest!!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Sherie C
Chesterfield, England
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We stayed at the Grand Palladium Resort for 2 weeks (24 Jan - 8th Feb) at the Punta Cana part of the resort (refurnbishment was taking place around the Punta Cana pool but this did not affect us very much). The resort grounds were very well maintained and there were lots of restaurants to choose from, all serving good food. We didnt find it a problem getting into any a la carte restaurants, if there was a waiting list, we were given a beeper and were beeped when a table was ready for us, this was no problem as we would go to the lobby bar and have a few pre-dinner drinks! There were plenty of lobby bars to relax in and we especially liked the Hemminway bar, it was great, nice and relaxing and served a fantastic selection of drinks. All the staff were wonderful and always greeted us with 'Ola' and a smile. Overall this resort is good value for money however if we stayed here again we would definitely upgrade to the Royal Turquesa Suites. Just a couple of negative points: Our room was shabby and in desperate need of updating. We had to get up really early in the mornings (before 7am !!) to get a sunbed with shade around the pools, most of the beds had been reserved before 7am !!!! there were plenty of beds on the beach, but again, all the sunbeds under the palapas on the beach were reserved very early in the morning.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
#53 of 111 in Punta Cana
1.8 km away
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana

Been to Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!