My husband and I traveled to EPC on a mid-August Saturday to Saturday trip right before a hurricane threatened and impacted the island.
Airport - prepare for it to be hot and humid. Its open air and you will stand in line for some time if you arrive with a lot of flights. Its very confusing and have your arrival money in case. I still dont understand why they do this, but they get money so all I can say is good for them. The airport is pretty with thatched roofs and much nicer than Jamaica Montego Bay.
Drive - do not let anyone help you get to your transfer - they expect money! We went straight to our tour company who then led us to our "luxury" transfer. 2 other couples traveled with us and even with 1 stop at Dreams, we got there in an hour. It was a hot, hot ride!
Arrival - we booked preferred club, but they couldn't find our reservation. After a few minutes, it was resolved. Entrance to the resort is nothing like when we arrived at Sandals Whitehouse, but it was nice.
Room - we were honored with our request for a 3rd floor room. These have high vaulted ceilings. We were there before any renovations occured. Bathroom was DISAPOINTING. Super small shower with the toilet in same area - the room never seemed to dry out. We had a large garden jacuzzi which was nice. We didn't have any of the smells a lot of reviews mentioned. Bedding could be upgraded to fit the price you pay - it was well used and could have made the room so much nicer if it had been upgraded. The bed was hard. We got a mattress pad but it was still very firm. They advertised a pillow menu and we never saw such. I like a comfortable bed and this was the firmest bed I've ever slept on. My husband didn't hate it, but admited he expected something more for the price we paid. TV was nice and the room was spacious. We had plenty of room to move around. Our balcony view was nice also. The air conditioner tries to keep up, but the room never got as cool as we liked it. You get adjusted to it however.
Pool - I was concerned with the 6 pm pool closing, but honestly, we were done always before. This was a concern that soon dimensished. We stayed close to our room and club and used the loungers that were in the water. Best spot ever.
Drinks - I'm not a drinker, but never found the drink I just loved. All very sugary. The people we got to know had several they liked - I mostly stuck with cola light and water.
Food - food was good. Never had a bad meal. My husband wasn't totally happy with the long pants requirement at night and I think they could relax that a bit, but we knew going in so not a huge problem. Spice and Grill were the best - and you could wear shorts to the grill!
Beach - beautiful. Rough but so large. Not many water activities.
Overall, it was a good trip. It met and exceeded some of my expectations and lacked in others. I would recommend the resort to others after some of the renovations are completed. It just needs to be polished up and add some modern features. We enjoyed the trip. Would we return - no. Why? Because I dont plan to return to any resort. I want to travel more and see many areas. Would I go to another Excellence - yes.
Compared to Sandals - I prefer Excellence. 24 hour room service is a big factor. Also, be prepared to frown when others bring up how much they paid for their trip - I left realizing some people probably paid 2k less than us. Oh well, such as life.
Next trips will be to Mexico, Antigua and who knows!
PM me with any questions!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This quaint, colonial-style resort is the ideal destination for couples seeking secluded romantic getaways. Nestled among palms on a perfect white-sand beach on a remote stretch of Punta Cana's Caribbean shoreline, Excellence Punta Cana provides the perfect All-Inclusive playground for adults only and is also home to a world-class spa, state-of-the-art fitness center and an exceptional range of activities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK) and Expedia so you can book your Excellence Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Excellence Punta Cana
- Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Resort
- Secrets Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Dominican Republic
- Excellence Dominican Republic
- Punta Cana Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Punta Cana Hotel
- Secret Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Secrets Excellence