“Loved it all especially the coldest beer we've ever had” 5 of 5 bubbles

Punta Cana Mike's Private Dominican Adventure
Ranked #5 of 229 Tours in Punta Cana
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Let me personally introduce you to the ways of the local culture that exists here on the east end of the island. From the barrios, cities and countryside, you will experience firsthand in an informal and personal manner, what makes the region what it is. Small group size ensures that you will not just be another number on the tour. Encounters are with real people going about their lives as they do every day. All tours are conducted in comfortable air conditioned vehicles and narrated in native English.I look forward to showing you the Dominican Republic I have come to know!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Calgary, Alberta
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Loved it all especially the coldest beer we've ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

On April 12, how very fortunate we were to be able to join a fab couple from Ontario and a family from Britain on our first off resort excursion that we took on our third stay in Punta Cana. From Six-toe's warm smile and safe driving to Dave and his entertaining and informative stories, it was a highlight for us on this trip. We - were dazzled by the young children at the school and their manners; watched cigars being rolled by the pros; purchased carved wood items from the Haitians; played dominoes with locals at the car wash (and they let me win); shopped in the "Wal-mart"; and had our breath taken away by the beauty of Macao Beach. We chose the 1/2 day trip but left the resort at 7:30 am and got back after 4 pm so it was more like a full day to us. Definitely consider this a must do excursion if you go to Punta Cana.

Visited April 2011
4 Thank DRFanCalgary_Alberta

Burlington, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Highlight of our Vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

I highly recommend both of Mike's tours, each were the highlight of our vacations! We love the small group setting which allows for personal interaction, that you do not find with any of the 'big box' tours.

Our favorite was the full day Boca de Yuma tour that includes a visit to the Shalom school, a local car wash, the Don Lucas cigar factory, as well as time in Boca de Yuma. The El Arponero Ristorante is our favorite spot for lunch. This open air restaurant has the most incredible table views, and the food is simply amazing. The red snapper and calamari are absolutely the freshest and the best we have ever eaten. The pizzas are delicious as well!

Mike and Dave are extremely knowledgeable and alot of fun to spend time with, we look forward to 'tour' again next year!

Thanks!
Sheryl and Lou

4 Thank BABB4
Wesley Chapel, Florida
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2011

Our tour guide Dave was very entertaining and funny. I think the highlight of our tour was playing dominos with the locals at the car wash. We learned so much about the culture and lives of the locals. I'm sure if we went on a different tour, we would not have seen or went to areas off the beaten track. Both Mike and Dave keep the tour to a minimum of people, to ensure the comfort and the ability to have one on one time with each person. I highly recomend this tour, and if we ever go back, we'd like to take his all day tour.

8 Thank travelinmama124
Clio, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2011

Mike is a great host and guide. We had 5 family and adapted a couple from Canada. Mike showed us some great insights to life in the Dominican Republic. From the school, the kids are priceless, to the cigar manufacturer to playing dominoes at the "car wash". The people have incredible spirit and are a joy.

6 Thank JoeCC77
Qc
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Worth every penny...will do the full day tour if I go back to DR”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

Why not a 5 ? Because of a very small deception. On the site it says: «The farmer's market, the boulevard, the basilica, perhaps even a stop at a carwash... all are available to you during our time together.»....We only went to the car wash. Since I'm a farmers market maniac, I was very much sorry that we didn't go. I bought that tour especially for that, and the visit to the basilica. I was also a bit desapointed that I could not take a stroll in La autra Banda to take some pictures. A suggestion: Maybe this should be added to the tour. It would be nice to have a few stops to take some pictures of the meat display (since it's a tradition in that town) , or the fruit vendors (some have very creative and colorful display). Other than that, I had a great time. David knows a lot about the life and the history of this country. He was a very nice (and funny) guide. All in all I would recommend this tour and will tell my travel agent about it, so she can recommend it to her other travellers.

7 Thank Mimi1962