New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Club Med Punta Cana

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #39 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Tallahassee, Florida
“Relaxing paradise in the sun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

This was my first experience at any Club Med and I was pleased overall. I would go back to this Club Med. Although it wasn't perfect, there were some glitches getting our checkout figured out the night before, everything got resolved. We had a great check-in experience, we were taken to the property and had the traditional greeting and then were walked to our room. It was a lovely handicapped equipped suite. Plenty of room to spread out and a nice sized safe to put valuables. We had a lovely porch that overlooked the ocean. There was plenty of space to lie in the shade and still hear the waves and watch the surf. the water was clear and so relaxing. i have a pool at home so I relaxed by the ocean, which was wonderful.

The staff was friendly and the food was very good in my estimation. The other guests were generally polite, although there were some teenagers who should have been in school instead of drinking beer at Club Med. This is a beautifully maintained property with gorgeous plantings and trees, well kept walkways. There were very nice excursions to go on if you paid an extra fee, which I thought was reasonable. I loved being able to see the countryside and learn more about the culture of the Dominican Republic. Gorgeous country and very lovely people. I am disabled so wasn't able to participate in many sports but I was able to practice some archery with the assistance of the wonderful Riub, who runs the archery range. What a wonderful charming fellow he is- Club Med should give him a raise. Best of all you get to dress casually pretty much all the time- a great help when packing and made the whole trip super relaxing. And the mojitos are included in the overall price- woo hoo!!

Room Tip: Get a room close to the dining rooms and with a view of the ocean. The Colon building has 3 or 4 ro...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank scoobytrips
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear Scoobytrips,
We’re happy to hear that your first experience with us was an enjoyable one. It sounds like our food, friendly staff and beautiful property made your stay extra special. We’re sorry to learn that your checkout wasn’t as smooth as it should have been, but we’re happy that everything was eventually figured out. We hope to see you back soon!
Your Club Med Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Westchester, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

With Amazing Club Med Experience in the past, I wasn't sure what to expect from the reviews that I read. My family and I came back from the Club mid February and we travelled with our 2 year old and nine month old based on the excellent reputation Club Med has for the kids; and my last experience.

Throw caution to the wind, because your stay could be amazing and could be less the sub par depending on how the resort is run that week.

Firstly, the positive, the GO's are AMAZING with kids. No question. They pride themselves on that and I have no complaining about any of them and how they interact and entertain the kids. And we are very very particular with whom we entrust our children.

My husband and I cherished our mornings in peace at the far end of the beautiful beach, swimming and getting some peace and quiet.

I was determined not to let the other stuff get in the way of a vacation our family desperately needed.

The other part, the Club was dirty. No question about it. The birds were all over the food and the tables in Hispaniola Restaurant until mid stay- they finally decided to cover all the food with napkins. The food is average. But no one goes to club med for the food alone.

The service is very very very slow. No one was in any hurry to bring you anything or do you any favors. I felt as though, we were on our own. Also, not typical of Club Med. The GO's seemed a bit stressed.

The room was a bit of a disaster. It was poorly cleaned but we straightened that problem out quickly with our lovely cleaning ladies. The room was run down and their were in fact mold/ mildew and holes in certain places; and it was very poorly ventilated.

Moving on, the biggest issue in my opinion was the cleanliness and sanitary conditions of all the people and kids in this resort- it is one of Club Med's larger resorts. The resort itself- of course because it is club med- is in an amazingly beautiful location not far from the airport. It is quiet and a little piece of tropical paradise. Making the setting and travel time excellent.

Club Med really needs to get their GO team together and cohesive in this resort, perhaps re- renovate the rooms they claimed they already have- I paid for luxury accommodations- I would hate to see the less than luxury accommodations. They need to motivate their cleaning staff into sanitizing the common areas better and the rooms much better. DIRTY otherwise.

The reason why I am on the cleanliness kick is that my husband travels all over the world for work, India, Singapore etc. and he has never contracted any intestinal issues. He came home with several gastro-intestinal issues. My son, had different health related issues. Pink eye he was treated for etc.

All in all, YES, I loved my vacation ! We needed one! I cherished my mornings and enjoyed my endless cups of cupuccino's frozen margs etc. The beach is BEAUTIFUL! We loved the Brizilian Beach BBQ and the beach bar!

My husband won't go back unless he is assured the place has been cleaned better and we had a better room for what we paid.

Enjoy! They are fantastic with the kids and the babysitters are even amazing!

Room Tip: Get your room type and floor straightened out before you arrive- either with your travel agent or cl...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Boston77_12
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Boston77_12,
We apologize for any inconveniences experienced during your stay. Please know that we will address your issues to the appropriate department, however should you need further assistance on this matter please contact our Guest Relations department via email at: us.guestrelations@clubmed.com.
Kind Regards,
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

This was our first trip to Club Med & Punta Cana and what wonderful memories we made!! Everything was FLAWLESS!! From the airport to hotel...Club Med was A+++++++!!!! We did not have a single worry while we were there! Kids Club was AWESOME! Had a 4 year old in the Kids Club & a 2 year old in Mini Club...the first day we of course spend walking around to see if we could see our kids & if they were having fun and YES! Always having fun & happy, with a ton to do! All of the Kids Club staff were amazing!!! I felt their energy & that they were truly happy to be with the kids. I have never seen anything like it! I 100% recommend paying the extra money for Mini Club...my husband & I got to relax for the first time in 4 years!! The food was wonderful, lot's of choices every night. We at both restaurants & snack bar, food was great! Rooms were nice & very clean, plenty of space in the deluxe family room for a family of 4. Extra bottled water & towels, no problem!! Beach was GORGEOUS, always plenty of beach chairs...we didn't head to the beach until noon everyday & we thought for sure there would be a lack of beach chairs but never a problem! Nothing was ever crowded. The grounds were gorgeous, very clean & smelled wonderful. Bugs were NEVER a problem. We could always understand the staff, I was worried about that because my husband can hardly understand English haha (he's American!) much less a different accent but he could understand everyone. I'm trying to think of any negatives & the only one I can think of is that we couldn't stay longer. Hoping for 10 days next year!! I don't even want to try a different resort, this one was absolutely PERFECT!! I had tears the last day of Kids/Mini Club when we said goodbye & the last day of vacation. It just felt like home away from home. I have to say, anyone that has anything negative to say is just a very hard person to please...unless they had really bad luck on vacation. Keep up the great work Club Med, Punta Cana!!!

Room Tip: We chose the Colon building, wonderful location, very close to reception & the kids club...it di...
1 Thank Tvegasraider
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear Tvegasraider,
We’re thrilled to learn that your first Club Med experience was an enjoyable one! We're especially pleased to hear that you found our beach to be gorgeous and our kids staff amazing. We appreciate you taking the time to review our resort. We can’t wait to see you and your family again!
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Every night the various chefs competed to produce a signature dish that would prove most popular. We tried everything thing from foie gras, roast duck, ethnic food of various types as well as good old steak and lobster. There was a separate station for children with burgers, fries, chicken, and grilled cheeze. The food was the best of any of the dozen or so all-inclusives in five countries where we have stayed. Only criticism: no table service. Both main restaurants were buffet only.

This resort was billed as child and baby friendly-- believe it. Babies and children were everywhere and the resort provides an apparently wonderful program for babies, children, and teens. The down side was that there was virtually nowhere where adults could go to be without children. Even the late disco had its share of cildren about. There was an adults-only section in the Samana restaurant-- right next to the baby and child sections.

The beach was fabulous and we never had any trouble finding chairs or getting beach-side drinks service. Our room was very comfortable. We had a club family room with a nice veranda and a little sitting room. Our room attendant was most solicitous and left our room clean and well-stocked every day.

There were many, many "GOs" as the activities staff are called. This is part of the Club Med culture. At times they were a little intrusive. They invited themselves to our tables, joined us uninvited in the bar and engaged us in conversation, whether we were receptive or not. A little disconcerting for reserved Canadians.

We took one day excursion on a catamaran to an island. We drove through Higuey to get to the embarking area and had a great day of sun and sand. All in all a very enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: If you are a couple the Club couples rooms are bigger and more confortable than the Club family.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Palmsandbeaches
Dear Palmsandbeaches,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our resort. We’re thrilled to learn that you had a very enjoyable experience with us. We’re especially pleased that our chef’s signature dishes were great and that you were always able to find a spot on our fabulous beach. We hope you will visit us again very soon!
Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We had a blast at this resort in February. Great kids' clubs, good food, nice all-inclusive. For the people complaining about birds in the restaurant: its an open air restaurant (very comfortable and classy with excellent food) in the Caribbean. What did you expect? And yes, its a French owned resort so to the Americans who are complaining: if you are going to travel you need to expect that not everyone will speak perfectly the ONE language you know how to speak. That said, our daughter speaks primarily English (she is 5) and she got along just fine. The pool is relaxing, get your towel on your deck chair by 9:30am and you'll be fine. Same with the beach. Great service, nice people, and our family (three generations) had a really fun time. I would recommend this resort to people I know.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tiara section in a little duplex on the beach. It was lovely. One room for the kid...
Dear Traveler2012155017,
We’re thrilled to learn that you enjoyed our kid friendly atmosphere, good food and all-inclusive deals. We appreciate you taking the time to review our resort. We hope you visit again soon!.